Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Currently, our 2019 recruiting class has the lowest average composite rating in the conference besides Rutgers.

Is the recruiting that much better?
Everyone seems to ignore this fact. At the same time, you don't need the best players, but rather the right ones for your system. Still, I don't think Phildo is as great of a recruiter as has been heralded.

Keep in mind this is a bit of an unusual year where the Gophers offered a K (82) and a LS (79). That brings the average down a bit. I'll let someone else do the actual math.

I will add that some of the lower rated recruits still have some decent P5 offers. DeAngelo Griffin (83) for example has offers from Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Indiana, Wake Forest.

92.51 Ohio State
91.26 Penn State
89.78 Michigan
87.82 Nebraska
87.76 Wisconsin
87.20 Michigan State
86.69 Iowa
85.99 Purdue
85.88 Illinois
85.70 Maryland
85.60 N'western
85.37 Indiana
85.25 Minnesota (minus the K & LS)
84.89 Minnesota (with the K & LS)
84.37 Rutgers

92.51 Ohio State = (14 Recruits)
91.26 Penn State = (17 ...)
89.78 Michigan = (23)
87.82 Nebraska = (17)
87.76 Wisconsin = (14)
87.20 Michigan State = (17)
86.69 Iowa = (15)
85.99 Purdue = (21)
85.88 Illinois = (9)
85.70 Maryland = (10)
85.60 N'western = (15)
85.37 Indiana = (17)
85.25 Minnesota (minus the K & LS) = (24)
84.89 Minnesota (with the K & LS) = (24)
84.37 Rutgers = (12)

We'll see what the numbers look like come Dec.

92.51 Ohio State
91.26 Penn State
89.78 Michigan
87.82 Nebraska
87.76 Wisconsin
87.20 Michigan State
86.69 Iowa
85.99 Purdue
85.88 Illinois
85.70 Maryland
85.60 N'western
85.37 Indiana
85.25 Minnesota (minus the K & LS)
84.89 Minnesota (with the K & LS)
84.37 Rutgers

2010 83.71
2011 81.41
2012 81.85
2013 82.53
2014 83.10
2015 83.14
2016 83.91
2017 83.24
2018 86.22
2019 84.89

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. Recruiting is definitely on the uptick - especially when you look at both the quality and quantity of offers across the class from top to bottom. Is recruiting where it needs to be? No, not yet. Does it appear there's more talent in the system? Possibly...seems that way. Is there reason for optimism? I think definitely.

I haven't broken recruiting down to a science like I have "best losses", but one of the underrated factors is whether the player will actually be with the program for 4-5 years.
Part of that is actually whether the player has the talent that was perceived during recruiting, but a bigger piece is whether the kid will stay in school for various reasons.

Also a disproportionate percentage of the high 3 / low 4 star guys commit early. I expect that other averages come down as they fill in their classes, otherwise the B1G would end up with its best recruiting class ever.

I would expect that Griffin, Anderson, and Harris to all get bumps based off of their offer lists. I think MJ Anderson was injured and hasn't played much in the last couple of years but has been a tank otherwise. I would bet our class will end up around 45ish but I think we could see our avg player rating rise between now and signing day. Even though we aren't getting that high of a mark in recruiting as opposed to our Big Ten peers, I definitely think the quality of recruit we are getting has increased the last couple of years.

Also a disproportionate percentage of the high 3 / low 4 star guys commit early. I expect that other averages come down as they fill in their classes, otherwise the B1G would end up with its best recruiting class ever.

Very true. Not that it's of huge importance, but I expect that the Gophers will finish 10th. What interests me is looking at the "Top Targets" and "High Choices" on 247. The only remaining uncommitted player on TT is Benhart, the one HC player committed elsewhere is Brown for Maryland, and the only new HC is the Juco CB. If the Gophers do sign one more, I'm thinking that 1 of those 3 might be most likely. Benhart and Brown certainly are highly regarded. Hopefully, the Juco isn't a reach.

This is the point I'm making. If we only had 14 commits instead of 24, we would have been more selective and our average ranking would be higher. A lot of the other schools are at 12-17 commits currently, and their average is destined to drop.

It works both ways.

Notwithstanding the excellent arguments made by some here that the other schools' averages will drop as their classes fill in more ..... I have a question.

What does an 87.82 get you over an 85.25 ?????

Obviously I'm a lay person when it comes to these numbers ...... but gee whiz ... that sure doesn't seem like much of a difference ???

In my early estimation, the Gophers have to have an average composite score of 84 or better to keep pace with the B1G West leaders. However, Purdue may change the whole equation. They are pressuring not only the Gophers, but also Iowa and Northwestern to keep pace with recruiting.

It will be four to seven years to see the Gophers turn the program around. Like PJ Fleck said in the conference, there will be a time when you'd expect starters to be juniors and seniors. They are not there yet.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

Not trying to prove anything. I was responding to this:

Keep in mind this is a bit of an unusual year where the Gophers offered a K (82) and a LS (79). That brings the average down a bit. I'll let someone else do the actual math.

I provided you the math you requested. I didn't present an opinion on the matter.

Any takers? 87.82 vs 85.25?? What does that get you? 2 extra wins?

With one player it probably doesn't mean much. But extrapolated across an entire recruiting class of 20-25 players and multiple years, it makes a difference.

Jason Williamson had a decent game last night. 5 carries, 182 yards, 3 TDs. All in the FIRST QUARTER.

[video]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5508771/5bc81ad2ff039f0c04b7befe[/video]

Jason Williamson had a decent game last night. 5 carries, 182 yards, 3 TDs. All in the FIRST QUARTER.

[video]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5508771/5bc81ad2ff039f0c04b7befe[/video]

I know most people have Williamson pegged for a move to Safety, but I like his film at RB quite a bit.

Is there a stereotype against white running backs?

Yes
I believe Robert Dickerson is a better comparison to his style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we getting any visitors anymore? I realize the class filled up fast, but you don't really hear about anyone coming ever, not even the current '19 commits. I thought we still had 2 open spots too.

Last edited:

Jalen Graham has announced he’s making his decision this week.
This week is coming to a close, any news? I would think he could push for a starting role in the Gophers depleted secondary as a true freshman, hoping for good news.

Are we getting any visitors anymore? I realize the class filled up fast, but you don't really hear about anyone coming ever, not even the current '19 commits. I thought we still had 2 open spots too.

I don't think we have any open spots. Unless someone unexpected wants to commit or someone else decommits. That's my understanding.

Maybe it was implied because the thread is for class of 2019 ... but I assume we have high school juniors (class of 2020) that are allowed to come visit gameday at TCF on their own travel dime (and get in for free, stand on the sidelines, get a tour of the facilities, meet coach, etc.) ? Maybe younger than that too?

Top Bottom