Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

He went to Desert Pines HS Las Vegas NV. The same school as Cameron Wiley and Jordan Howden.

He went to Desert Pines HS Las Vegas NV. The same school as Cameron Wiley and Jordan Howden.

Article out there saying he missed time due to academics and an undisclosed reason.... seems like an odd signing at face value with our limited scholarships.

4* on Rivals
<iframe width="300" height="150" frameborder="1" src="https://n.rivals.com/content/prospect_cards/2127"></iframe>

Also 4 star on 247.

3 star on 247 composite.

Offers from USC, Cal, Nebraska and Tennessee out of HS.

I just can't help but think Fleck thinks he has something big in Jason Clark.

He's adding more pieces for him.

I could be way off. This guy would sit and maybe replace Tyler Johnson.

Anyone know why he is leaving USC? Are they just loaded at receiver?

You mean QB, Jacob Clark?

I think this guy has to sit a year no?

Played in only 3 games in 2018 so with new redshirt rule I think he's eligible right away. Or is that not a thing?

There seems to be a lot of confusion on that issue. I don't think it works that way, but it should!

Desert Pines HS Nevada is Gopher Country.

Played in only 3 games in 2018 so with new redshirt rule I think he's eligible right away. Or is that not a thing?

Assuming this isn’t another rule that has changed - you get 5 years to play 4. If you transfer (& don’t get a waiver from NCAA) you lose a year of eligibility. You become a 4 to play 3 guy. If he played in 2017 and red-shirted in 2018, he will be a 2 years to play 2 guy after he sits in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article out there saying he missed time due to academics and an undisclosed reason.... seems like an odd signing at face value with our limited scholarships.

I dunno, after Houston moved on Grimes isn't a bad option. Good size speed combination. Balances out the wr classes a bit.

Has Grimes committed? Or is he just visiting? He'd be a great pick up IMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tsZXOQl-1GM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Has Grimes committed? Or is he just visiting? He'd be a great pick up IMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tsZXOQl-1GM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He is accepting congratulations on twitter so the thought is that he has committed. Nothing is official though.

Assuming this isn’t another rule that has changed - you get 5 years to play 4. If you transfer (& don’t get a waiver from NCAA) you lose a year of eligibility. You become a 4 to play 3 guy. If he played in 2017 and red-shirted in 2018, he will be a 2 years to play 2 guy after he sits in 2019.

You don't lose one of your four competition seaons per-se, but the net result is the same. A year is burned off your five year clock.

The intention of the rule is they want you to have a year of "residency" at your new school, before you get back into competitions. Ostensibly so as to make sure you've adjusted to your new school, classes are in order, etc. (*wink wink*), but practically it is a deterrent from free agency in CFB for non-grads.

Last edited:

Reading the link, it looks like he burned his redshirt in 2017 (before the new rules were in effect, so even a single play in a single game burned it, back then) and also competed in 2018 for USC. So after sitting out 2019 to comply with residency requirements at Minnesota, he'd only have two years left on his five year clock anyway, and could use his two remaining competition seasons in 2020 and 2021.

Last edited:

He only will have two years left on his five year clock, but you are correct he technically could redshirt in 2018. That would give him three competitions seasons ... but he'd have to apply for a hardship waiver to extend his clock to six years, or otherwise get a waiver from the residency (sit out one year) requirements from transferring, to be able to play for the Gophers three seasons.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The d-line is still somewhat of an enigma to me. They were absolutely terrible during the middle of last season, and then became good when Rossi took over. Smith is borderline dominant when healthy. Teague played well at the end of the year, does he continue to improve? Schad looks like a good B1G d-lineman, can he come in and contribute right away? Renee and Silver provide depth, but I’m not sure they are playing a lot on a top 25 team. The freshmen class is great, but I don’t want to depend on anyone next year.

It does show once and for all there was never any plan to redshirt Royal Silver his 1st year.

One of the few personnel changes I noticed with the Rossi takeover, besides Chris Williamson getting more reps, was Sam Renner getting more reps at DT. I thought Renner did a great job this season. Maybe not our "best" DT on paper, but on the field is where it counts.

Top Bottom