Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I'll add semicolon or comma...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yA-Qv1C50-U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been a professional writer for more than two decades. Every place I've worked follows APA guidelines, which still maintain two spaces are correct.

I didn't realize the APA stood their ground on that issue.

When I was in law school, it was right at the end of the double-space/single-space debate. Every firm that I've worked uses single-space and everything I've ever filed with the court uses single-space. I know this because I was so used to double-space it was something I always had to check at the end.

Funny this should come up (on a football board no less) as I'm an academic and just got in a disagreement with a colleague about it the other day. APA still recommends two spaces after a period and I will NEVER stop doing it. I'm not sure when the "one space" movement started.
Must be the difference between academic, professional, and casual writing.

Spacing (4.01). Regarding punctuation in manuscript drafts, APA suggests using two spaces after periods ending sentences to aid readability.

In the legal profession, single space is not just for casual writing.

Three Rivers Conference!!! My old stomping grounds!!!

This is an all time great tangent. Regarding my sentence - dash or no dash?

I am a two space person, but watching the games tonight, I feel the need to throw the remote at the TV anytime I hear a person with an education pronouncing the work"often" with a hard "T". The T has been silent for few hundred years, at least until recently.

Often should be pronounced like soften, Christmas and listen; the T is silent.

I think aspiring TV commentators hear some east coast snob incorrectly using the hard T and they start doing it, even though as I mentioned it pretty much went away 300 plus years ago.

I am a two space person, but watching the games tonight, I feel the need to throw the remote at the TV anytime I hear a person with an education pronouncing the work"often" with a hard "T". The T has been silent for few hundred years, at least until recently.

I think aspiring TV commentators hear some east coast snob incorrectly using the hard T and they start doing it, even though as I mentioned it pretty much went away 300 plus years ago.

Here is one that I see far, far too commonly and drives me absolutely insane.

Objectively correct way: ... try to ... (ie, he wanted to try to make it on time).
Unequivocally false: ... try and ...

Just, NO!!! God. You’re not trying ... AND then doing something else!! You’re trying TO do that thing. UGH!!

No one can dare justify it. I’ll fight you

You should inform Merriam-Webster, the Oxford Dictionary, dictionary.com, and virtually every other dictionary on earth that they're wrong and you're right.

Yes,I am right, the hard T is acceptable as a secondary, not primary preference, but since you and Mike Tirico like this so much, that must mean that you are right and I am wrong. The voice of authority has spoken!

No shocker that the great DP68 would defend something that was not too long ago considered a a "pretentious mannerism".

Which one sounds different?

read the following words aloud and look at the spelling-

soften, listen, Christmas, castle, often,.... apparently often is different in some eilte places

http://www.englishessaywritingtips.com/2012/02/often/

https://throwgrammarfromthetrain.blogspot.com/2010/07/often-with-t.html

Naturally, the t version has been scorned as both an ignorant goof and a pretentious mannerism. "The bad odor of class-conscious affectation still clings to it," says Charles Harrington Elster in "The Big Book of Beastly Pronunciations." And it's true that OFF-ten deviates from the usual pattern of soften, listen, fasten, christen, etc.

There’s a \t\ in oftenplay , but how often do you hear it? As you might guess, the \t\ was pronounced in the past, when the word began as a variant of oft (also spelled ofte in Middle English), which was the more common form until the 1500s. Oft is now archaic for most of the senses of often, but is still used in compound adjectives like oft-repeated and oft-quoted. Ofttimes and oftentimes both carry that archaic flavor but are still in active use. After the -en suffix was added to ¬oft, the \t\ fell away in pronunciation, but remained in the spelling.

Last edited:

Great fun on a Saturday night..... (listening to the voice of pirate Beth Mowins must have driven me to post this on a football board - I only had 1.5 beers so far)

Okay, I'll stop on this unfortunate topic of "often" ... Dpdoll68 is 100 percent correct, and much smarter than all of us as always and I was incorrect.

I will stick with the two spaces after a period though. test

Last edited:

Everyday or every day...many do not know the difference.

The whole how to pronounce "amateur" topic:

-amachure - most of us, 99.8 percent of all Americans

-ammitter Mike Max and golf people - rapid fire and like it is spelled - not french at all

no word on how the French actually pronounce "amateur", but it neither listed above, so why do the golf people go with the fussy option #2 that has no basis in actual French?

I could care less about all this grammar talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Spoofin, it was just too easy. For the record, I agree with you.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Why? Convince him to grey shirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shooter didn't say when that happened. Your take is certainly reasonable. It's also wise to continue building a good relationship with Wiley because he has friends at Desert Pines and IMG who would be huge potential additions in the future.

It’s possible another program was trying to get Wiley to flip leading up to signing day & Fleck & Co flew out to Vegas to try to ensure a commitment.

Last edited:

Top Bottom