Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Did the Gophers just jumped from 38th to 35th on 247Sports? Some of the recruits must have been upgraded recently.

Did the Gophers just jumped from 38th to 35th on 247Sports? Some of the recruits must have been upgraded recently.

Cam Lewis looks like was upgraded to 3* and .8263 grade. I also believe Williamson and Nubin received bumps lately.

Note: Daniels is listed as Soft Commit. Qualify issue perhaps. Edit: nevermind.

Last edited:

Daniels took an OV to Missouri over the weekend without the staff knowing. I don't think the staff minds (as much) if you are up front with them like Schad has been but the sneaking around is usually not a great move. With the possibility that they could add some other DT's in the end here, it's probably writing on the wall.

Not elite behavior.

Hoofkin will be taking an OV on 12/7: https://247sports.com/player/isaiah-hookfin-46056488/

He is the first confirmed visitor who is not a commit. Sounds like it's between Texas, Baylor and us.

Would love to see us grab another OT and maybe a highly rated DT as well since Daniels doesn't seem to be a sure thing. I kind of do wonder though if we do need more than 2 DTs in the same class (I know we have 4 with the 2 juco's) but I also do know their is always unplanned attrition.

Correct. Lewis bumped from a 5.2 two star on Rivals to a 5.5 3 star. Moved his 247 Composite from .7781 to .8263.

Just made me think...do they ever downgrade the rating on recruits if they have a bad senior year? Or would it just stay the same. I can't think of a single time they downgraded a recruit.

Just made me think...do they ever downgrade the rating on recruits if they have a bad senior year? Or would it just stay the same. I can't think of a single time they downgraded a recruit.

Yes, recruits can be downgraded. There's been a couple of Texas QBs that have had their ratings drop this year. (Gunnell and Zeno)

I can tell you how 247 does it. When recruits get their initial evaluation they end up with a range and they error on the side of lower rankings then if they continue to develop they will move it up. One of their recruiting analysts explained it on the board there a while back, but that's basically the gist.

Would love to see us grab another OT and maybe a highly rated DT as well since Daniels doesn't seem to be a sure thing. I kind of do wonder though if we do need more than 2 DTs in the same class (I know we have 4 with the 2 juco's) but I also do know their is always unplanned attrition.

In a perfect world, we would probably add 1 O-linemen, 1 D-linemen, a safety and the best available recruit we can land. With Bargy out and Daniels and Schad looking around, I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2 d-linemen. MJ Anderson is listed at 6'3", 270 lbs - which would make me think we view him as a DT. If that's true, D'Vion Harris is our only DE recruit, which would appear to make it a need to finish out the class. With all of the 2018 DEs that redshirted this year along with already having Witt in the fold for 2020, maybe the staff is okay with 1 DE.

Of course. Every recruit is rated and also ranked based on that rating. It goes without saying that recruits going up also necessitate that some go down - i.e., if someone jumps 100 spots and everything else stays equal, every recruit in that 100 range drops a spot.

A nice new feature on 247 is "Rank History," a link to the history of the individual's player rankings, all cataloged on one page. For an example, here's the page for Adim-Madumere: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Nnamdi-Adim-Madumere-at-Southwest-203985/RecruitRankHistory/. As you can see, his overall 247 composite ranking has dropped from 447 in February to 590 now.

Last edited:

In a perfect world, we would probably add 1 O-linemen, 1 D-linemen, a safety and the best available recruit we can land. With Bargy out and Daniels and Schad looking around, I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2 d-linemen. MJ Anderson is listed at 6'3", 270 lbs - which would make me think we view him as a DT. If that's true, D'Vion Harris is our only DE recruit, which would appear to make it a need to finish out the class. With all of the 2018 DEs that redshirted this year along with already having Witt in the fold for 2020, maybe the staff is okay with 1 DE.

I definitely had similar thoughts on MJ Anderson. Wonder if he maybe has a little extra on him and they could play him at DE? Doubtful but he does appear to have good enough speed to play at DE. Also agree on grabbing best available if someone is there as signing day is getting closer, and not all coaching changes have already happened.

Of course. Every recruit is rated and also ranked based on that rating. It goes without saying that recruits going up also necessitate that some go down - i.e., if someone jumps 100 spots and everything else stays equal, every recruit in that 100 range drops a spot.

A nice new feature on 247 is "Rank History," a link to the history of the individual's player rankings, all cataloged on one page. For an example, here's the page for Adim-Madumere: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Nnamdi-Adim-Madumere-at-Southwest-203985/RecruitRankHistory/. As you can see, his overall 247 composite rating has dropped from 447 in February to 590 now.

The rank would change, but I mean the actual rating. Like does a 5.4 ever change to a 5.2 after a bad season? My hunch is that it's rare (or never) that they lower a rating, but it is entirely possible that others go up to pass them.

If rating services were really being honest, they should both upgrade and downgrade the actual ratings.

Isaiah Hoofkin is visiting! We need to lock him up. Imagine him with faalele Dunlap and Andries in a few years

Visits must be nicer with the Wiscy win under their belt!

Visits must be nicer with the Wiscy win under their belt!

Much easier conversation to say "We're one or two recruits away from competing for a title" with the win over WI and Purdue and a "close" loss to Northwestern despite numerous mistakes.
I'm sure Fleck is selling it well.

Yeah, I am thinking something like trouble getting admitted. Who knows.

Top Bottom