Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Anyone saying that Houston is no big deal, is off their rocker. He'd be a very big deal. Houston vs Williams, is a reasonable debate, but the idea that either of them aren't important, is silly.

Do you envision him playing slot & competing with CAB & DD? Those guys go 200lbs & 190lbs respectively. I'd be shocked if Houston weighed 160lbs. I kind of see him as a Z, the same position as Tyler Johnson, who goes 200lbs as well.

All I'm saying is people often underestimate how hard it is to transition to WR at the college level. It doesn't matter how fast you are if a 5th year Sr jams you at the LOS every play & you can't get into your route. It doesn't matter how well you can catch, if the team can't run to your side of the field, because you can't block your man.

I think Houston would be a very, very good player for us, but I think he's a Z, not a slot guy and I think he'd almost certainly need a year to get stronger.

Here’s 4 pretty big contributors at Alabama

Jaylen Waddle 177lbs
Devonta Smith173
Henry Ruggs lll 183
Jerry Jeudy 192

I’d say Houston at 165 lbs works for Minnesota just fine.

Last edited:

Anyone saying that Houston is no big deal, is off their rocker. He'd be a very big deal. Houston vs Williams, is a reasonable debate, but the idea that either of them aren't important, is silly.
Agreed, he's a playmaker, the Gophers offense has been sorely lacking in those over the past several years.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6063050/5bd649fada5b420e24dc24f7' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jaylen Waddle 177lbs
Devonta Smith173
Henry Ruggs lll 183
Jerry Jeudy 192

He looks more solidly put together than Ihmir Smith Marsette, I think we all agree we wish he had stayed committed to us, or at least not gone to Iowa.

Jaylen Waddle 177lbs
Devonta Smith173
Henry Ruggs lll 183
Jerry Jeudy 192

Not very good comparisons. Waddle's 5' 9.5" @ 177lbs. That's not particularly thin. Jeudy's 30 lbs heavier than Houston. Ruggs is 20 lbs heavier. Smith is the closest comparison.

It's possible he could add enough weight/strength to play a Freshman? At his current size, I'd be very surprised if he could play as a true Freshman.

A couple blurbs from Rivals evaluation of Houston:

"A very lean 6-foot, 165-pound frame. Will need to add bulk to strengthen overall build."

"Absolutely must add bulk and strength to combat bigger, stronger defenders in college. Can improve consistency as a hands catcher to keep the ball away from his body. Faces significant adjustment in competition level going from small-school Oklahoma high school football to Power Five level. Possible NFL draft pick with proper physical development."

Maybe being lanky as compared to available elite WRs might help him drop into the Gophers lap.

Just maybe.

Oklahoma has an offer out to Georgia 5-Star 6' 2.5" 196 lbs WR Jadon Hasselwood (0.9968) #13 nat'l ranked player who is 89% OK lean. They also have an offer out to Texas 4-Star 6' 1" 183 lbs WR Arjei Henderson (0.9449) #283 nat'l ranked player who is 67% OK lean.

I don't know for sure, but I think the Gophers have a better shot at him than Kristian Williams who has interest from Oregon and Home State Tennessee.

Well the #1 WR in the country Jadon Hazelwood just committed to Oklahoma. They now have three 5 star WR's committed, two of which are top 4 overall players in the country according to Rivals. Hazelwood is also a teammate of Rashad Cheyney.

Hopefully Demariyon Houston stops holding out for an offer from them and this accelerates his recruiting situation.

Last edited:

Times a ticking. Demariyon Houston has Texas as favorite. I expect the remaining holdouts will start to settle their landing spots soon.

What will PJ Fleck do with remaining scholies if all the players under the Gophers radar commit elsewhere?

Times a ticking. Demariyon Houston has Texas as favorite. I expect the remaining holdouts will start to settle their landing spots soon.

What will PJ Fleck do with remaining scholies if all the players under the Gophers radar commit elsewhere?

A lot of those CB’s were made when he was still committed to Texas. I think Texas has moved on. It seems like it will come down to us and Nebraska for Houston. Not sure if he’s a priority for Nebraska or not but there was buzz about him visiting there about a month ago. Otherwise I’m sure we are keeping an eye on the transfer portal. Still more to come I’m sure.

Yeah. I think it’s down to Penn State and Minnesota for Houston. Saw he got an offer from them a week or so ago.

Oklahoma just got a commitment from another 5-star WR. Jadon Haselwood.
That lowers the chances Hollywood gets an offer I would presume.

Oklahoma just got a commitment from another 5-star WR. Jadon Haselwood.
That lowers the chances Hollywood gets an offer I would presume.

There’s zero chance OU offers Houston now. Texas is out of play as well. That’s why I say it’s down to Minnesota and Penn State.

We've got thirty days until Feb. 26, 2019 NSD. Anything can happen I hope for the good.

I have hope for Houston. Williams, not so much. Will there be a wild surprise or two?

We've got thirty days until Feb. 26, 2019 NSD. Anything can happen I hope for the good.

I have hope for Houston. Williams, not so much. Will there be a wild surprise or two?

Why not have hope for Williams?

Why not have hope for Williams?

I don't know exactly. He is from Memphis TN. The home state Volunteers offered him late. In the case of Oregon, they have a top seven recruiting class already and they have all the bling-blings.

PJ Fleck is in a battle for sure.

I wasn't going to comment until Feb., but I'm going to make 1 more comment. The focus is on Houston/Williams, and either one would be a great addition. I want to explain why I bring Darwin Barlow into the mix. Once it became clear that Quinn Carroll was going to Notre Dame, Barlow became my top target. He scored 42 TD's as a junior, and he was the MVP for the state champs as a sr. When I watch his highlights, I see speed and elusiveness with would be a great complement to Ibrahim's "smash mouth" style. Since I expect the Gophers to have future battles with TCU, I'd like to win this one. I read once that the Gophers have continued to recruit a RB since last summer, and I'm guessing that it's Barlow.

Nolan Edmonds redshirted right?

So our RB depth will be
2 SR
0 JR
2 SO
1 RS FR
2/3 Incoming freshmen w/o Barlow? Does it make sense to use another scholarship there?

So our RB depth will be
2 SR
0 JR
2 SO
1 RS FR
2/3 Incoming freshmen w/o Barlow? Does it make sense to use another scholarship there?

Barlow was the mvp for the Texas state championship game. You have room for that talent on this roster..

Barlow was the mvp for the Texas state championship game. You have room for that talent on this roster..

He played 3A ball, which has two divisions. I'm not sure which division his school is in, but division one has a max enrollment of 479 and division 2 has a max enrollment of 318. I get it's Texas, but I find it highly unlikely that 3A Texas ball is better than 6A MN ball. I think Barlow is a bit over rated on here. I don't think he is the sure fire talent that would take or RBs to another level that some seem to think.

So our RB depth will be
2 SR
0 JR
2 SO
1 RS FR

I also expect Williams to redshirt next year unless there are a bunch of injuries again.

I also expect Williams to redshirt next year unless there are a bunch of injuries again.

Even then, it would have to be a lot of injuries to play Bryce Williams in more than 4 games.
Or
Bryce becomes such a good runner than he breaks the top 3 RB position.
But with Edmonds available and the new freshmen getting 4 games, they should be able to keep Williams to 4 games if they want to.

It's not at all preposterous. Do you think that a school with 300-500 students would be favored to beat Eden Prairie, a school with around 2,900 students?

I can't speak for all of Texas 3A and I certainly can't speak for Eden Prairie, but Newton has 4 Division 1 players from the 2019 class, 3 of which are committed to Power 5 programs.

MaxPreps has Newton ranked at #231 team in the country and Eden Prairie is #586.

Last edited:

Top Bottom