Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Sid Hartman: University of Minnesota remains a possibility for Edina football standout Quinn Carroll

Quinn Carroll, the Edina offensive lineman, is going through what few Minnesota high school athletes have, with 16 teams from around the country already visiting him here and the head coaches from Penn State, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech and the Gophers making personal trips to his games before he has started his senior season.

After more than 20 unofficial visits to campuses around the nation, Carroll announced this past week he had narrowed his choice to six programs, and the Gophers are one of them. The others are Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin.

ESPN currently has him ranked as the eighth-best offensive tackle in the country for the Class of 2019, while 247 Sports has him ranked as the 55th-best prospect in the country.

The Gophers have been recruiting Carroll since his freshman year when he attended an offensive line camp. He said that he has had around 10 visits with the Gophers including games, practices, workouts and meeting with coach P.J. Fleck.

“We get along well. I don’t have a top set of schools, but Minnesota is under consideration and I have a good relationship with Coach Fleck,” he said before including the Gophers on his six finalists.

Still, Carroll said that when the Gophers lost offensive line coach Ed Warriner to Michigan this offseason, it meant having to build a new relationship. “I’m still trying to develop a relationship with the offensive line coach [Brian Callahan] at Minnesota right now,” he said.

He added that the fact that his brother Collin Carroll went to Virginia Tech and his father, Jay Carroll, went to the Minnesota has definitely played a part in his recruitment.

“That might have an effect as well. [The Gophers] are trying to sell me how I’m a legacy recruit and my dad played there and did very well,” he said. “But, you know, you never know where I’ll end up as far as right now. But both Virginia Tech and Minnesota are trying to sell me on how my brother went there and my dad went to Minnesota.”

http://www.startribune.com/universi...na-football-standout-quinn-carroll/476465153/

Go Gophers!!

He looks much better in Maroon and Gold than in blue and orange.

Cuts list to 10:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Cuts list to 10:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Interesting mix. Come on John! You can get a good education and enjoy the Minnesota life here!

Interesting mix. Come on John! You can get a good education and enjoy the Minnesota life here!

Some powers. The local school. And some others thrown in that seem out of place in that list. Will be interesting to see

I can't be the only one that is turned off when someone "cuts" their list to 10 and then makes a video about it. I'll pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't be the only one that is turned off when someone "cuts" their list to 10 and then makes a video about it. I'll pass.

Thank goodness you're not the coach...

Who cares. Can the kid play football? That's what we should care about.

Washington junior JJ Guedet all-in on Minnesota football

Washington junior JJ Guedet “fully” committed to the University of Minnesota after visiting in early March.

Guedet enjoyed the campus, athletic facilities and meeting with the coaches, but there was one thing he needed to be sold on.

“Really, the only thing that I was unsure about was my (offensive) line coach,” Guedet said of Brian Callahan. “I hadn’t talked to him a ton but we went up there and had a one-on-one meeting and it was pretty awesome.”

That is what sold Guedet on the Golden Gophers football program. That, and the opportunity to be a part of P.J. Fleck’s rebuild.

“He’s trying to build something and I see it as a challenge and want to help do it,” Guedet said.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20180320/washington-junior-jj-guedet-all-in-on-minnesota-football

Go Gophers!!

Unfortunately, these young men have to market themselves.

Actually I agree. Unless they are going to go into a field that isn't offered at the U -the only reason they would go the Becky or the place South is because of better football opportunities. Which would be sad.

There are MANY reasons a kid could/would pick one school over another-not just football opportunities or academic program. A coach. The feel of campus. A good feeling from future teammates (and other students) when he visits. A desire to get away from home. Connection with faculty in a program. Could be any number of things.

Yes, I find it off-putting too. It seems like a lot of kids need constant attention and affirmation these days, which may be attributable to conditioning from social media or other changes in social norms.

I'm really impressed by a youngster who doesn't have a constant need for attention and positive reinforcement.

Yes, I find it off-putting too. It seems like a lot of kids need constant attention and affirmation these days, which may be attributable to conditioning from social media or other changes in social norms.

I'm really impressed by a youngster who doesn't have a constant need for attention and positive reinforcement.

Kids are conditioned to believe people on you tube have talent.

The credits list the SJHS Digital Media Club. A school project for some fellow classmates, perhaps? No harm done. Plus, I think they did a pretty good job and probably had a lot of fun making the video.

How long before it turns into a reality show - "The Recruit" - like The Bachelor - only when a school gets cut, they get a football instead of a rose.

How long before it turns into a reality show - "The Recruit" - like The Bachelor - only when a school gets cut, they get a football instead of a rose.

It actually would be an interesting reality show - follow a 5*, a 4*, a 3* and a no star recruit through their Junior and Senior year. Listen in on the telephone calls, view the tweets, go with them on their campus visits, see how bribes are paid under the table, all the good stuff. I'd watch.

It actually would be an interesting reality show - follow a 5*, a 4*, a 3* and a no star recruit through their Junior and Senior year. Listen in on the telephone calls, view the tweets, go with them on their campus visits, see how bribes are paid under the table, all the good stuff. I'd watch.

One of the best documentaries (IMO) is Hoop Dreams. It's somewhat similar to this concept.

QB1 follows kids through their SR year of HS so in a way it is kinda similar without as big of focus on the recruiting part and more on the life of being a HS QB.

Unrelated, I enjoyed watching the only season of The Agent, where agents recruited prospective nfl players to their various agencies during the college football season. It was an interesting look at what many see as a sleazy business.

Top Bottom