Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

So, if Fleck and Simon didn't like the last two WRs quite a bit, why would he have offered?

He offered in July, not November, so the desperation angle doesn't make sense.
We've also just recruited 9-10 WRs in classes 2017-2019, so we really don't have a huge need.

Like, what would be the motivation?

If you start seeing unheralded recruits in November pop up, it's a bit suspicious.

This situation, at that position, I'd venture to guess he liked the guys quite a bit.

That isn't a homer-esque mentality and I'm pretty far from being a Fleckophile, but I can't see a more rationale way to read these signings.

Fleck has said numerous times that he likes to have his class full by the start of fall camp so he can focus on the season. So in his mind, July=November in a way.

My problem with it is that he offered the last 2 commits within days of fall camp starting when they both had no other P5 offers and it was basically a sure thing that they would commit. Why didn't he offer the CDH receiver back in June right after he had a strong camp showing? Same with the o-linemen. It seems pretty clear he wanted to fill in a few more spots prior to the start of camp.

Fleck has said numerous times that he likes to have his class full by the start of fall camp so he can focus on the season. So in his mind, July=November in a way.

My problem with it is that he offered the last 2 commits within days of fall camp starting when they both had no other P5 offers and it was basically a sure thing that they would commit. Why didn't he offer the CDH receiver back in June right after he had a strong camp showing? Same with the o-linemen. It seems pretty clear he wanted to fill in a few more spots prior to the start of camp.

I would think you could leave open a spot or two and they wouldn't be THAT much of a distraction... but it's his show to run.

It appears our scholarships for 2019 know no limits.

MJ Anderson, a DE from Missouri with offers from Notre Dame, Nebraska, Sparty and about 20 others is announcing today at 3:00 p.m., and has 4 crystal balls for the good guys.

https://247sports.com/Player/MJ-Anderson-46041879/

Not highly rated but a very impressive offer list. Somethings got to give there. Maybe another one of those late risers

Not highly rated but a very impressive offer list. Somethings got to give there. Maybe another one of those late risers

True but I would trust the offers more than I would the rating. Based off of our current class I bet we will see a jump in quite a few of our commits rankings if they play relatively close to the level of their offer list.

MJ Anderson has listed us as warm for so many months. I've wanted him to commit for a while and thought he was gone after Bargy committed. If he does commit, we have 7 DL coming in this year. I am so frickin pumped. Having a good D line really makes watching the Gophers so much better. Big uglies win games in the B1G.

PJ is really hitting the two lines.
Offensive last year, defensive line this year.

For 2021 and 2022 that would be a lot of upper class big men when they are juniors and seniors.

Don't think it is really about just filling the class before camp starts at all. Yes Fleck wants the majority of the class filled before camp but there were a couple spots open last year and there will be again this year.
They had guys above them on their list. WR's Tre Mosley, Jamie Nance, and Alante Brown all were higher priorities than Udoibok but when they committed elsewhere Fleck decided they needed to move on more receivers and Udoibok was next on the list and jumped on the opportunity. There was also some feeling that other B1G teams would start to offer Udoibok after they got a few games of his SR film and the Gophers didn't want to take the chance. Same situation with OL, Grant Trieber he was at the top but he committed to Iowa State and really only 1 active target was left with Joacheim Price and they are still after him but they decided they wanted to lock up Cooper now before he started his season and teams got a few games of film on him as he really didn't do many camps this summer dealing with an injury as they thought there was a solid chance of some B1G offers rolling in.

Last edited:

It appears our scholarships for 2019 know no limits.

MJ Anderson, a DE from Missouri with offers from Notre Dame, Nebraska, Sparty and about 20 others is announcing today at 3:00 p.m., and has 4 crystal balls for the good guys.

https://247sports.com/Player/MJ-Anderson-46041879/

Just looked at his highlight reel on 247. Lots of good tackles but he was unblocked on most of them. Can't tell much from this clip but nothing there to impress.

Just looked at his highlight reel on 247. Lots of good tackles but he was unblocked on most of them. Can't tell much from this clip but nothing there to impress.
It's sophomore video, I see nice size/speed combo and pretty good football instincts.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5583574/57cd6d00e97a845e9cf4a516' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Has anybody noticed how we have 9 guys on the roster listed as a TE? Would be nice to pick up walk-ons at other positions instead of stack up TEs that we most likely will not use very much. I know this is also partially due to the use of the TE in the previous system that Kill/Claeys had in place.

Spencer Lytle committed to Bucky today. I think we were in on him early.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Has anybody noticed how we have 9 guys on the roster listed as a TE? Would be nice to pick up walk-ons at other positions instead of stack up TEs that we most likely will not use very much. I know this is also partially due to the use of the TE in the previous system that Kill/Claeys had in place.

Some of those guys are walkons and Green wasnt brought in to play TE, Fleck has only signed about one per year.

Nice offer list per 247

Notre Dame, South Carolina, Arkansas, Michigan State, Nebraska, Duke, Purdue, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Rutgers

Some of those guys are walkons and Green wasnt brought in to play TE, Fleck has only signed about one per year.

That and maybe those walkons will switch positions to the d-line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though this class isn't perfect, PJ continues to make large strides. Just take a look at the dumpster fire class of 2015:

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2015-Football/Commits/

It ranked 63 nationally and 13th in the Big Ten. This is the class that should be seniors and redshirt juniors this year. 14 of the 24 recruits aren't even with the program any longer. Only 2 players will likely be starting - Jacob Huff and Shenault.

Even though this class isn't perfect, PJ continues to make large strides. Just take a look at the dumpster fire class of 2015:

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2015-Football/Commits/

It ranked 63 nationally and 13th in the Big Ten. This is the class that should be seniors and redshirt juniors this year. 14 of the 24 recruits aren't even with the program any longer. Only 2 players will likely be starting - Jacob Huff and Shenault.

Right now we rank 13th in the Big 10 in average rating JG so it's easily possible we may not end up much better from a ranking standpoint - hopefully we'll develop players better than that class though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now we rank 13th in the Big 10 in average rating JG so it's easily possible we may not end up much better from a ranking standpoint - hopefully we'll develop players better than that class though.
I did the math a few weeks back, and minus the Kicker and Long-snapper our average put us in the middle of the BigTen. FWIW.

I did the math a few weeks back, and minus the Kicker and Long-snapper our average put us in the middle of the BigTen. FWIW.

Plus it is very likely that several players will have there ratings adjusted higher based on what we've seen in the past. Also if Logan Richter is being included in this class I'm guessing Cooper and Udoibok will count as part of next years class since they are grey shirts.

Top Bottom