Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

So we just added Grimes and one of our two recruits for 2020 is Jonathan Manns.

It seems we are set at wide receiver for awhile.

One of the few personnel changes I noticed with the Rossi takeover, besides Chris Williamson getting more reps, was Sam Renner getting more reps at DT. I thought Renner did a great job this season. Maybe not our "best" DT on paper, but on the field is where it counts.

These are the type of guys that are the self-less unheralded MVPs of any team. Kids who walked-on and earned playing time through sheer hard work and determination. They may not show up on the stats regularly, but they give it their all when called upon. I hope PJ Fleck continues to put a premium on walk-ons and continue reserving scholies for them.

This is a good way to build a solid team with depth.

How often during the last three coaching cycles do key injuries affect the team because there is no team depth at a particular position?

Last edited:

What I'd like to know is where is the open scholie coming from for Grimes? I would think that he won't be counted against the 2019 Recruiting Class. Maybe Quinn Oseland's spot? Anybody care to explain?

What I'd like to know is where is the open scholie coming from for Grimes? I would think that he won't be counted against the 2019 Recruiting Class. Maybe Quinn Oseland's spot? Anybody care to explain?

I believe we still had 3 spots open.

I believe we still had 3 spots open.

Certainly, we will here about this weekend's visits soon. If there are no commitments Grad Transfer or otherwise, who knows what is cooking between now and Feb 6 NSD. Decent grad transfers would be nice if they can't secure bonafide game changer HS recruits.

I don't think Grimes will have any impact on the 2020 class.

In 2020, those kids will be redshirting, and he will be a RS JR (three years ahead of them).

We'll likely add a couple more receivers in 2020. It's hard to tell where some of the people break down in terms of position for 2019 (Potts, Wiley), so it's hard to say how many receivers are part of the 2019 class.

I don't believe grad transfers count against any 25 class limit.

But there is always the 85 overall total limit looming out there. And right now, on paper, the Gophers have -5 slots available. Yes negative five. Yeah, yeah, now 20 people will chime in about how the coaches have a plan and aren't worried about that. Something will have to give one way or another, that is

I don't believe grad transfers count against any 25 class limit.

But there is always the 85 overall total limit looming out there. And right now, on paper, the Gophers have -5 slots available. Yes negative five. Yeah, yeah, now 20 people will chime in about how the coaches have a plan and aren't worried about that. Something will have to give one way or another, that is

Well I'll be the first. Yeah the coaches have a plan and aren't worried about that. Why keep 2nd guessing Fleck on things like this? You have to trust him as the numbers always works out.

Well I'll be the first. Yeah the coaches have a plan and aren't worried about that. Why keep 2nd guessing Fleck on things like this? You have to trust him as the numbers always works out.

The one thing I care about is this coach seems to be proactive and is always thinking ahead as a tireless recruiter.

Last edited:

Of course he has a plan. Of course the numbers always work out. They have to. Gopher4 wasn’t 2nd guessing if PJ knows this - just acknowledging that something has to give. Which it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course he has a plan. Of course the numbers always work out. They have to. Gopher4 wasn’t 2nd guessing if PJ knows this - just acknowledging that something has to give. Which it does.

Based on the interview on WCCO this morning....It sounds like we have three spots left....

OK. Feeling guilty, so here is a bullet-point version of Sports Huddle Fleck interview. 1-13-19

New coaches - Panagos married to Mike Tice's sister. One of best DL coaches in country. Good recruiter.

Sid asked about team in pre-season ratings. PJ - that's for other people to talk about. Shows recognition for program. Players have to deal with expectations.

Sid - FR on offense should get better. PJ: better tomorrow than you are today. Focus on whole life. Academics.

Max- January recruiting? PJ: 3 spots left. Could be HS or transfer, or hold for next year.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is it weird that Mr. Buck has no 247 site?? I'm sure it's not unheard of. I tried James and Jim, nothing.

I mean, PWO might as well all just be called "Maroon shirts". They all technically have the chance to earn a scholarship, if they do well enough. I'm sure the official MS is a "gentleman's agreement" that you will be give a scholarship after the first year, but doubt anything is hard signed in writing.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
Looks like a great walk on. Good high school stats, 33 on ACT. Claims a 4.6 40.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Looks like a great walk on. Good high school stats, 33 on ACT. Claims a 4.6 40.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Played WR/LB in high school - possible switch to safety? Regardless, seems to be a really solid walk on as you said.

I mean, PWO might as well all just be called "Maroon shirts". They all technically have the chance to earn a scholarship, if they do well enough. I'm sure the official MS is a "gentleman's agreement" that you will be give a scholarship after the first year, but doubt anything is hard signed in writing.

What are you talking about? There’s 20-30 kids that were PWO and only a few ever get scholies.

What are you talking about? There’s 20-30 kids that were PWO and only a few ever get scholies.

Exactly my point ... there's nothing hard in writing that the "Maroon Shirts" sign the binds Fleck or the U to giving them a contract after their first year as a PWO. I don't know that as a fact, but I doubt it. So they're really nothing more than glorifying a PWO. It's what they did with Zach Annexstad, they just didn't have the name for it last year.

Exactly my point ... there's nothing hard in writing that the "Maroon Shirts" sign the binds Fleck or the U to giving them a contract after their first year as a PWO. I don't know that as a fact, but I doubt it. So they're really nothing more than glorifying a PWO. It's what they did with Zach Annexstad, they just didn't have the name for it last year.

This I don't know about. I think you are probably right that nothing is forcing Fleck to honor his word with the maroon shirts. That being said, it'd be pretty bad optics for the program, especially because Udoibok is an in-state kid from a program that we'd very much like to continue landing kids from.

This I don't know about. I think you are probably right that nothing is forcing Fleck to honor his word with the maroon shirts. That being said, it'd be pretty bad optics for the program, especially because Udoibok is an in-state kid from a program that we'd very much like to continue landing kids from.

Yes that is a perfectly valid point.

And don't get me wrong ... I like the Maroon Shirt idea. I think it's a way better deal than a Gray Shirt .... so long as the family can afford it and/or the athlete can get grants through FAFSA to cover the first year.

Another thing that is very much under wraps I would guess, maybe even the recruits don't realize this: the new rules about protected scholarships do NOT apply to student-athletes who don't receive a scholarship in their first year. That means, technically per the rules, Maroon Shirt who get their scholarships, CAN have them taken away at a later date due to athletic performance reasons.

Iowa slipped past Gophs on 247. Now sitting 39th. Not sure what Fleck has left for scholarships with the recent transfers. There are 3-4 teams below Gophs right now that could pass them when it's all said and done.

Hopefully we can hold on to him. I think he's a high quality PWO.

Last edited:

Top Bottom