Page 248 of 248 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248
Results 3,706 to 3,715 of 3715

I mean, PWO might as well all just be called "Maroon shirts". They all technically have the chance to earn a scholarship, if they do well enough. I'm sure the official MS is a "gentleman's agreement" that you will be give a scholarship after the first year, but doubt anything is hard signed in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Go Gophers!!
    Looks like a great walk on. Good high school stats, 33 on ACT. Claims a 4.6 40.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Looks like a great walk on. Good high school stats, 33 on ACT. Claims a 4.6 40.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
    Played WR/LB in high school - possible switch to safety? Regardless, seems to be a really solid walk on as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    I mean, PWO might as well all just be called "Maroon shirts". They all technically have the chance to earn a scholarship, if they do well enough. I'm sure the official MS is a "gentleman's agreement" that you will be give a scholarship after the first year, but doubt anything is hard signed in writing.
    What are you talking about? There’s 20-30 kids that were PWO and only a few ever get scholies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Gopher View Post
    What are you talking about? There’s 20-30 kids that were PWO and only a few ever get scholies.
    Exactly my point ... there's nothing hard in writing that the "Maroon Shirts" sign the binds Fleck or the U to giving them a contract after their first year as a PWO. I don't know that as a fact, but I doubt it. So they're really nothing more than glorifying a PWO. It's what they did with Zach Annexstad, they just didn't have the name for it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Exactly my point ... there's nothing hard in writing that the "Maroon Shirts" sign the binds Fleck or the U to giving them a contract after their first year as a PWO. I don't know that as a fact, but I doubt it. So they're really nothing more than glorifying a PWO. It's what they did with Zach Annexstad, they just didn't have the name for it last year.
    This I don't know about. I think you are probably right that nothing is forcing Fleck to honor his word with the maroon shirts. That being said, it'd be pretty bad optics for the program, especially because Udoibok is an in-state kid from a program that we'd very much like to continue landing kids from.

Quote Originally Posted by WiddleWatkins View Post
    This I don't know about. I think you are probably right that nothing is forcing Fleck to honor his word with the maroon shirts. That being said, it'd be pretty bad optics for the program, especially because Udoibok is an in-state kid from a program that we'd very much like to continue landing kids from.
    Yes that is a perfectly valid point.

And don't get me wrong ... I like the Maroon Shirt idea. I think it's a way better deal than a Gray Shirt .... so long as the family can afford it and/or the athlete can get grants through FAFSA to cover the first year.

Another thing that is very much under wraps I would guess, maybe even the recruits don't realize this: the new rules about protected scholarships do NOT apply to student-athletes who don't receive a scholarship in their first year. That means, technically per the rules, Maroon Shirt who get their scholarships, CAN have them taken away at a later date due to athletic performance reasons.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGopher View Post

Well he's still talking to us, so not the worst thing in the world...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Iowa slipped past Gophs on 247. Now sitting 39th. Not sure what Fleck has left for scholarships with the recent transfers. There are 3-4 teams below Gophs right now that could pass them when it's all said and done.