Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Just calculated out the average number of power 5 offers for each guy from the last 2 classes. Obviously a lot to consider with each guy and how they end up at their final number (and no I'm not going to do Kill/Claeys classes right now) but this year averaged 5.5 w Williams (5.4 without) and median of 7 versus 7.5 average w/ median of 6 for last year's class. Obviously it is an average and median, but interesting to me

Just calculated out the average number of power 5 offers for each guy from the last 2 classes. Obviously a lot to consider with each guy and how they end up at their final number (and no I'm not going to do Kill/Claeys classes right now) but this year averaged 5.5 w Williams (5.4 without) and median of 7 versus 7.5 average w/ median of 6 for last year's class. Obviously it is an average and median, but interesting to me

Keep in mind the fact the internet says there is an offer doesn’t mean there was an offer

Keep in mind the fact the internet says there is an offer doesn’t mean there was an offer

And also keep in mind the fact that some players would have more offers had they not committed as early, or had taken visits when invited to schools. Its a very inexact measurement.

I think it's interesting, but if the kids don't go to class or break team rules, then we'll not see them on the field and it won't matter how many stars they have.

The first step is getting them to commit
The second step is getting them signed
Third step is getting them in the program
Fourth step is getting them on the field.

Attrition and lack of development will kill any class.
That's not measured in stars or in "other offers".

Don’t disagree at all, just thought it would be interesting to look at since we always list those offers when guys commit

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Sorry if it's been previously posted...
247 site now shows Cheney will enroll early and be there for spring ball and S&C. This is huge, cannot stress enough how important that extra work is for the individual player and the team as a whole.
So glad this staff continues to get multiple recruits who can get on campus early and get a head start, great way to build a program!!

Sorry if it's been previously posted...
247 site now shows Cheney will enroll early and be there for spring ball and S&C. This is huge, cannot stress enough how important that extra work is for the individual player and the team as a whole.
So glad this staff continues to get multiple recruits who can get on campus early and get a head start, great way to build a program!!

I saw that 13 of 23 would be early enrollees. Good news

I saw that 13 of 23 would be early enrollees. Good news

Listening to Mason on KFAN yesterday, he didn't think this was a good trend for college coaches to encourage this to happen.
He thought that the player missed out on too much of the ending of their HS years with their classmates.

Listening to Mason on KFAN yesterday, he didn't think this was a good trend for college coaches to encourage this to happen.
He thought that the player missed out on too much of the ending of their HS years with their classmates.

Things are so different now though. There are a lot of students, not just athletes, that are starting college early.

Not everyone is doing it so it doesn't seen like coaches are pressuring them that much to do it. Otherwise you'd see an even higher percentage of kids doing it.

Last edited:

I tend to agree. But it has been a trend for a long time. High school kids in hockey have skipped their senior years entirely to play juniors before college. You are only young once and you only have a chance to walk a grad ceremony with all your buddies you grew up with once in high school. Its definitely a sacrifice. That said, it is good for the football team to get these kids up here. They can lift and get started in the lifestyle quicker this way.

I tend to agree. But it has been a trend for a long time. High school kids in hockey have skipped their senior years entirely to play juniors before college. You are only young once and you only have a chance to walk a grad ceremony with all your buddies you grew up with once in high school. Its definitely a sacrifice. That said, it is good for the football team to get these kids up here. They can lift and get started in the lifestyle quicker this way.

I also think that these guys form a tight bond with their teammates and have a really fun college experience.... When many of them relive the glory days, it’s college not high school... &#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;

I also think that these guys form a tight bond with their teammates and have a really fun college experience.... When many of them relive the glory days, it’s college not high school... ������

Yeah, it's not like they are leaving HS to go sit in a cubicle.

This post is 100% correct.

If we were Alabama, we could have these 13 early enrollees practing with the team getting ready for GT. This is a common practice(not a pun) with the Alabama early enrollees.

So, it's great that we are getting these early enrollees but when guys like Cashman and Greene decide they want to leave college early to prepare for their next level...

Each person can determine if high school is important to them. I found high school to be vastly underrated compared to college. Even my college experience playing basketball was better than high school. I know some kids love the high school experience, but not all do. For those who are ready to move on, I say...move on.

I also think that these guys form a tight bond with their teammates and have a really fun college experience.... When many of them relive the glory days, it’s college not high school...
This ^^^^^^^^^

So, it's great that we are getting these early enrollees but when guys like Cashman and Greene decide they want to leave college early to prepare for their next level...
God bless them. I hope they prosper. The only time I would be upset would be if the Gophers were playing for a national championship.

Each person can determine if high school is important to them. I found high school to be vastly underrated compared to college. Even my college experience playing basketball was better than high school. I know some kids love the high school experience, but not all do. For those who are ready to move on, I say...move on.

Agree. The college experience is much better than the high school experience. I took the JC route for two years and then the 4 year school route for the last two years. The 4 year school was much better than the JC route and the high school route combined. JC felt like high school as I was still living at home. I would think that the players come back for graduation, but perhaps miss out on prom.

There is very little about my Senior year in HS that I would say I would have missed had I skipped it.

It's high school.

If your life has the picture of playing major college football, skipping prom and the overrated graduation ceremony isn't really that big of a deal.
When you return home on weekends and over holidays, your HS friends will still talk to you and they'll be happy to see you even if you didn't graduate with them.

And now, literally the NEXT DAY after the early signing day, the Gophers are #36 in the country. This serves as further illustration as to why crowing about the rankings on early signing day is idiotic. Where's Burns to tell me about our "Top 35" class now?

And now, literally the NEXT DAY after the early signing day, the Gophers are #36 in the country. This serves as further illustration as to why crowing about the rankings on early signing day is idiotic. Where's Burns to tell me about our "Top 35" class now?
85c0471e134e2bad3cbbe7c707fff12c.gif

Udoibok and Cooper look to have been removed from the commitment list. Makes an impact to lose a couple recruits. Doesn't look like the fact they were walking on was taken into account prior.

Udoibok and Cooper look to have been removed from the commitment list. Makes an impact to lose a couple recruits. Doesn't look like the fact they were walking on was taken into account prior.

They were removed because they are not getting a scholarship, which since we have 3 left to work with doesn't make sense. Either those two are scholarship worthy to start or they are not in which case they become a PWO. It's a loophole I know, but not a good one.

Top Bottom