Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

+1

If you're an adult who sends messages to 16-18 year-old strangers on the internet, you're a tool. I also love the mindset that some people legitimately have - "this kid is on the fence about playing for my school, and I just know that my tweet is going to be the one that convinces him."

Let's take stock of where we are at.... according to 247 this is where we stand right now with a few key recruits.
DT - Williams - looks like CB's are 50/50 between us and IU (only 2 predictions so probably up in the air)
OT - Hookfin - 100% CB's to Texas (14 predictions), so I personally am not holding my breath on us getting him
WR - Brown - appears to be down to us and ISU, he is visiting there this weekend
DE - Anderson - 100% CB's to the Gophers (8 predictions)
WR - Houston - seems to be up in the air at this point.

Others considered
DE - Robinson - much discussion on here about academic issues
DE - Johnson - guessing they only take him as a last resort, IMO.

What are the thoughts on how we round out this class?

Let's take stock of where we are at.... according to 247 this is where we stand right now with a few key recruits.
DT - Williams - looks like CB's are 50/50 between us and IU (only 2 predictions so probably up in the air)
OT - Hookfin - 100% CB's to Texas (14 predictions), so I personally am not holding my breath on us getting him
WR - Brown - appears to be down to us and ISU, he is visiting there this weekend

Others considered

I think Williams goes elsewhere, Hookfin goes to Texas, Anderson commits, I give us a less than 50% chance of landing one of Brown or Houston. Robinson less than 50%, but probably won't take him if Anderson commits, the academic issues were concerning the safety T.J. Robinson, different guy. The DE Johnson probably not a take if Anderson commits. So imo we get Anderson and the rest would be a pleasant surprises or would not be takes.

+1

If you're an adult who sends messages to 16-18 year-old strangers on the internet, you're a tool. I also love the mindset that some people legitimately have - "this kid is on the fence about playing for my school, and I just know that my tweet is going to be the one that convinces him."

True, but there aren't "rules" for fans to not tweet to recruits.

+1

You know ... my immediate reaction is to completely agree with you.

But .........

and I just don’t know if I should be sad about this, shake my head, or what ......... but I actually COULD see a recruit saying something like “dang, school X fans only tweeted at me 4000 times, must not be a big fan base, not going there”. ..... I just don’t put it past some of these kids these days ....

+1

Agree with everything above, but you know there are definitely recruits out there that have eliminated teams from contention because their fans didn't show enough love on social media.

And yes, it is ridiculous.

Others considered

Why did Brown’s CB say 100% Maryland, then? Anything to that?? Just an old one that hasn’t been updated?

True, but there aren't "rules" for fans to not tweet to recruits.

There are, actually: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...ts.com/documents/2017/8/2/Booster_Contact.pdf

Q: Can a booster interact with a prospect through Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking site?

A: No. A booster should not have any type of interaction with a prospect through social network sites or forums. Examples of impermissible social networking activities include tweeting, direct messaging, Facebook messaging or chatting with prospect and/or their parents or legal guardians.

What about rules for "fans" as he stated....I think everyone is well aware of rules in place for boosters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You’re very sensitive about this. Can I ask if you’re in management? I see **** like this weekly and it’s mostly from good people just trying to get more out of life. Maybe he was expecting something that didn’t happen. Maybe PJ won him back on the visit. You don’t know anything about about him or his situation.

Not even close to management- yuck! Take care of kids with congenital heart disease.

As for not knowing anything about his situation etc I fully admit that's true. I fully admitted that I had no problem with the kid decommiting to look where the grass may be greener. It's the coming back and making a self-absorbed spectacle of his recommitment that rubs me wrong. If you've looked around and want to come back then great- just announce that after mulling it over you've decided the U is the place to be. We don't need a plea for attention for the ultimate announcement. Then again- that's just my take. I hope he's eventually a great player and more importantly a great ambassador for the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even close to management- yuck! Take care of kids with congenital heart disease.

As for not knowing anything about his situation etc I fully admit that's true. I fully admitted that I had no problem with the kid decommiting to look where the grass may be greener. It's the coming back and making a self-absorbed spectacle of his recommitment that rubs me wrong. If you've looked around and want to come back then great- just announce that after mulling it over you've decided the U is the place to be. We don't need a plea for attention for the ultimate announcement. Then again- that's just my take. I hope he's eventually a great player and more importantly a great ambassador for the U.

I get your point and understand where you're coming from completely. If it comes out he was doing that for his own self interests I would agree that it's a bad sign. My point just was we have no idea why he did what he did. Maybe he wanted to visit but decided he made a mistake.

What about rules for "fans" as he stated....I think everyone is well aware of rules in place for boosters.

There are a ton of fans who tweet nice things at croots. I don't see anything wrong with polite tweets and will continue to do so, no matter what insults people here throw at me. I think it's funny how worked up the sticklers get on here, and I love getting them going.

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

- Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
- Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
- Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
- Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
- Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
- Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
- Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

If someone has truly never done any of these things, they aren't really a fan.

There are a ton of fans who tweet nice things at croots. I don't see anything wrong with polite tweets and will continue to do so, no matter what insults people here throw at me. I think it's funny how worked up the sticklers get on here, and I love getting them going.

You're so edgy. I hope to be as cool as you someday.

Do whatever you want - just know that you're committing an NCAA violation by doing so. Whether you "see anything wrong with" it is immaterial. Nobody's worked up, just factually informing you that you're a tool.

Didnt know there were actual requirements to be a fan. Do I send my application to you to see if I can be a fan or not?

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

- Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
- Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
- Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
- Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
- Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.

Didnt know there were actual requirements to be a fan. Do I send my application to you to see if I can be a fan or not?

You can start by not making 90% of your posts following me around and commenting on my posts.

Great points! Stating the obvious, If you are or ever were part of the Goalline Club, that includes you!

Just reading through this (and I think tweeting at recruits is weird so commenting more on the “aren’t really a fan portion), I view myself as a big time fan of the Gophers but due to financial constraints as a recent grad with a massive debt load and high workload preventing me from being further involved, I don’t believe any of these would apply to me unless following Gopherhole counts. So just saying, as someone who always preaches in using the facts to support Statements rather than hyperbole or opinion, I’d just say take it easy on deciding who fans are as it rubs people the wrong way and weakens your arguments. That’s all I got

In other words, the NCAA had created a completely unenforceable rule. Rules that aren’t enforced work the same way as there not being one.

Not "contacting through the internet" is quite a broad statement, which they don't seem to be enforcing evenly as far as I can tell. To me it seems like retweeting/replying on twitter is a public enough of a place that they've deemed that contact ok, but just haven't written it in the rules. That, or they want to enforce it, but don't want the consequences to affect the perennial top 10 teams/have no way of enforcing it. Now if someone sent a DM through twitter, I can see that as being a step across the line.

You think the Gopher police will arrest me for wishing a recruit a safe trip back home? God I hope PJ doesn’t call me out for my politeness!

It’s not about being polite or impolite. The idea is to not be creepy.

This is gold! I am not going to call anyone a tool for tweeting to a recruit, especially when I am sure anyone on GH would only tweet nice and respectful words. I know I have felt like tweeting phrases such as "hope you enjoyed your visit" but in the end, the last thing a recruit needs is some middle aged dude tweeting at him.

Which is purely because the rule uses language that, like any "good" law, is vague to the point of almost being mashed potatoes.

In other words, *if* something happens, the rule language is vague enough to apply to just about anything.

Okay, so most of the people at the games and on this board are not fans then.

Grown adults shouldn’t be tweeting at teenagers. Period. This isn’t that difficult.

Just reading through this (and I think tweeting at recruits is weird so commenting more on the “aren’t really a fan portion), I view myself as a big time fan of the Gophers but due to financial constraints as a recent grad with a massive debt load and high workload preventing me from being further involved, I don’t believe any of these would apply to me unless following Gopherhole counts. So just saying, as someone who always preaches in using the facts to support Statements rather than hyperbole or opinion, I’d just say take it easy on deciding who fans are as it rubs people the wrong way and weakens your arguments. That’s all I got

You don't need to explain yourself to this blowhard.

Top Bottom