Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Managing recruiting must be a tight balancing act at times. Managing the Brock-Wiley recruiting at RB for instance. You'd want to be open and honest and hope that the Plan B is still firm in wanting to commit while waiting for your top guy to make up his mind. There is always the possibility that you could end up losing both.

Is PJ Fleck going to sew up all of his recruiting early again this year? Will he put a couple of open scholies in reserve for any last minute high level recruit that may become available? I don't know if the mass early signings last year is a one-time deal.

Where are we at with the OT from Lakeville? I think he is a heavy Wisco lean . . . not shocking there but that would be a nice bump to add a 4 star tackle from Lvl North.

The question is - Is Lakeville North Gopher Country? I am seeing red which is not a good thing.

It would be great to get our 2 WR committed by this time next week.

Mosley is here today and has a MN (a Sparty lean currently)

Honestly, let him go to Wisconsin if he wants. Fleck is getting quality players that want to be here regardless of their home state.
Where are we at with the OT from Lakeville? I think he is a heavy Wisco lean . . . not shocking there but that would be a nice bump to add a 4 star tackle from Lvl North.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Two spots. Pretty sure it's something like: Brock/Barlow > Doerue > Potts/Wiley.

I'm guessing Brock & Potts/Wiley. Wiley certainly wants to be here.

This comes down to a matter of philosophy. In my book, if you make a valid offer to a recruit, and the recruit says he wants to commit, you take him. If he's good enough to offer, he's good enough to be on your team. Plus, with all the negative recruiting that goes on, if a school made a habit of telling kids, "you can't commit yet - we're waiting on another kid we like better to make up his mind," and that got out, you can bet other schools will use it against you.

I’m thinking the world of major college football recruiting is far more sophisticated than you seem to grasp. Such clear principles are nice in practice but are redolent of naïveté.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are now at 17 commits, with only 6-7 open spots remaining assuming 23-24 total for this class: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

It seems like the priorities should be:

RB - 1 (Brock would seem to be the favorite, not sure why we would need to take more than 1 RB this class)
WR - 2 (Nnamdi, Mosely, McCray would seem to be the top targets; I think we need at least 2 WRs in every class)
OL - 2 (Guedet is the only commit; I think you need at least 3 OL in every class).

That's 5 players right there at positions that seem to be essential for completing the class. So that leaves us with 1-2 more scholarships. We don't have any TE commits and I'm not sure that we have had any visit. We seem to want 1 more DT, which is likely to be either Blisset or Gibson. We're probably done at LB. We have 2 corners and TJ Robinson at safety, it seems like getting one more safety would be a priority.

We just had a 6-7 TE from NJ visit last week.

The Gophers are now ranked 21st in recruiting by 247Sports with an average composite score of 84.75 and 175.64 total points.

They are on track to be ranked in the 30s again, ~31 ~39. Where they eventually end up depends on whether they get Nnamdi Adim-Madumere, Jirehl Brock and other higher ranked recruits.

That sounds very optimistic.I am hoping for another offensive lineman or two in this class. But, I'll settle for the best players PJ Fleck can get.

Was hoping he'd wait a bit since Barlow, Dorue and Brock are all undecided still.

Agree on this. And why 2 RB's in this class? We just took Williams and Edmonds, and London/Ibrahim in the class before that. That's 4 freshmen RB's currently on the roster. I'd much rather take one stud back like the 3 listed above and use the additional scholarship on another o-linemen or defensive back.

He has some great game film. He has striaght line speed but sheds tacklers and has a great bounce step. I doubt he will be able to cut back across the field in the B1G, but looks like a quality back.

Welcome to Gold Country!

Are we recruiting him as an RB or as a receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom