Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I think a top 35 class would be outstanding. If Fleck recruits multiple top 35 or better classes over the next few years, and stays at Minnesota, I think we’ll see success we haven’t seen in 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me those classes.

Some wins over Wisc, Iowa, Neb (doesn't have to be everyone every year but at least one trophy per year please) and bowl upsets here and there (in our favor...) and I'll be a happy man for a while.

Give me those classes.

Some wins over Wisc, Iowa, Neb (doesn't have to be everyone every year but at least one trophy per year please) and bowl upsets here and there (in our favor...) and I'll be a happy man for a while.

I would too. However, this year's class is about a whole point lower per player than we were last year (currently 85.25 compared to 86.22 in '18). If that holds the same, we will be considerably lower due to less scholarships in '19. The boat needs to have more oars to get higher rated 'cruits to get to top 35.

I would too. However, this year's class is about a whole point lower per player than we were last year (currently 85.25 compared to 86.22 in '18). If that holds the same, we will be considerably lower due to less scholarships in '19. The boat needs to have more oars to get higher rated 'cruits to get to top 35.

I wonder how much of this is due to the long snapper we have committed. He is by far our lowest rated recruit.

I wonder how much of this is due to the long snapper we have committed. He is by far our lowest rated recruit.

I'm sure he's weighing it down quite a bit b/c we do have some high 87+. We do, however, have 3 recruits rated higher, 1 rated exactly the same, and 7 rated lower than last year's average (86.22).

I'm sure he's weighing it down quite a bit b/c we do have some high 87+. We do, however, have 3 recruits rated higher, 1 rated exactly the same, and 7 rated lower than last year's average (86.22).

Think it’s be interesting as well to see how the grades all change as it seemed most of our guys last year got bumped up at years end too which elevated the grade

Has it been 100% confirmed that this kid is going to be a scholarship player? That seems so strange to me.

Has it been 100% confirmed that this kid is going to be a scholarship player? That seems so strange to me.

Yes - he's listed as a scholarship commitment on all of the sites.

Its seems odd to me as well that you would use a scholarship for a long snapper. However, we currently have Peyton Jordahl on scholarship.

Its seems odd to me as well that you would use a scholarship for a long snapper. However, we currently have Peyton Jordahl on scholarship.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with a guy getting one in a situation like Jordahl, it just seems really strange to offer a scholarship to a HS kid for that skill.

Thanks for the info.

And no one remembers who was leading a football game after the 1st quarter. They just remember the final score.

No but people do talk about it when it's happening. And fans get excited when their team scores a TD. You're essentially saying people shouldn't get excited about the TD in the 1st quarter because we don't know if it matters until the game is over and a winner has been determined.

No but people do talk about it when it's happening. And fans get excited when their team scores a TD. You're essentially saying people shouldn't get excited about the TD in the 1st quarter because we don't know if it matters until the game is over and a winner has been determined.

You're correct. However, I will point out that the original article says "Minnesota's quick start follows the Class of 2018 that ranked among the top 25 in December." To continue your metaphor, that is the equivalent of being excited in May while remembering a third-quarter lead that you held in a game that you lost in February.

Think positive deepo! Don't always try to reply with "negative vibes". Or maybe you just like to add to your posting numbers!

And here we go again.

Look- I really hope Fleck is as good of a recruiter as people believe. I hope he brings in great players who help the Gophers win a lot of games.

But talking about where the class is ranked on Memorial Day is pointless. it's like talking about who's leading the Boston Marathon at the 5-mile mark. Clue - no one remembers who led the Marathon at the 5-mile mark. They just remember who was leading at the finish line.

And no one remembers who was leading a football game after the 1st quarter. They just remember the final score.

If the Gophers have a top-25 class after National Signing Day, then that is worth cheering.

Yes, getting some early commitments is nice. But those commitments still have to sign a LOI.

The Gophers 2018 class was ranked 38th by 247. Let's see where the 2019 class is ranked. If it's in the top 30, or better, that would be a clear step forward.

I assume you don't cheer when the Gophers score and take/extend leads since the final score is all that matters. No reason to get excited during the game since the score can change.

Think positive deepo! Don't always try to reply with "negative vibes". Or maybe you just like to add to your posting numbers!

Facts aren't positive or negative - though how people interpret them can be. If you took my post negatively - that's your problem, not mine.

I assume you don't cheer when the Gophers score and take/extend leads since the final score is all that matters. No reason to get excited during the game since the score can change.

I'm simply asking for a little perspective. Last year at the same time, a lot of people on this board were talking about a "top-25" class. The class ended up 38th.

In a real game, a team that gets off to a fast start tends to have a better chance of winning. In the recruiting game, a team that gets a lot of commits early looks good in the ratings - but those ratings can and will change greatly as other schools get commitments. And, ratings can further be impacted if players de-commit. in a real game, if you score a TD in the 1st quarter, they're not going to take that TD away in the 4th quarter. In the recruiting game, that can and does happen when players decommit late in the recruiting period.

I don't get excited if my boss says I might get a raise. I get excited when I open the paycheck and see extra money in there. That is real money. I can spend it, or save it. A recruiting commitment in May is a promissory note.

I don't know about you, but "I got a raise" sounds a lot better than "I got a promissory note." At least it does to me.

It's May. Basically the only thing for a Gopher fan to follow right now is recruiting. Maybe the thought police can tell us what we should be discussing on a 2019 recruiting thread?

I think recruiting has gone pretty well. I would love to see Jirehl Brock and Bryce Benhart commit to the Gophers. Lets return to a dominant O-Line and running game.
Time will tell if one of our 3 star QB's blossom. That would be a huge bonus.

I think recruiting has gone pretty well. I would love to see Jirehl Brock and Bryce Benhart commit to the Gophers. Lets return to a dominant O-Line and running game.
Time will tell if one of our 3 star QB's blossom. That would be a huge bonus.

I can see Brock coming here....Benhart sure seems to be a WI guy. Hope I'm wrong on Benhart.

Looking at 247 Composite, Weeks is the highest rated LS and committed here.

#2 - Drew Little- rated 75 and committed to UNC and has a NC State offer
#3 - Sean Wracher - rated 75 is not committed but has a Pitt offer
#4 - Quentin Skinner - rated 74 and is committed to LSU

2018, Oregon, Va Tech, and Cal had some of the top LS commits and they were ranked in the upper 70s-lower 80s
Same thing in 2017 for Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, wisconsin, USC

Doesn't seem that outrageous.

Has there been any info on any of the QB's the Gophers have offered after missing out on Duggan? I know Clark took an unofficial awhile ago and then followed that up with an unofficial to Cal, but haven't heard about any of the other potential targets. I have no idea who they are prioritizing out of Clark, Calzada, Brasch, and McIvor. One kid they offered fairly recently Jacob Zeno has committed to Baylor since the last time I browsed the 247 site.

Gophs have a few guys coming in this upcoming weekend on OV's. First year of being able to have guys on OV's before the start of their senior season.

Looking at 247 Composite, Weeks is the highest rated LS and committed here.

#2 - Drew Little- rated 75 and committed to UNC and has a NC State offer
#3 - Sean Wracher - rated 75 is not committed but has a Pitt offer
#4 - Quentin Skinner - rated 74 and is committed to LSU

2018, Oregon, Va Tech, and Cal had some of the top LS commits and they were ranked in the upper 70s-lower 80s
Same thing in 2017 for Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, wisconsin, USC

Doesn't seem that outrageous.

I realize that it has happened before.

The guy at Alabama was the first long snapper that Saban ever offered (I remember them saying that during one of the games). It is a pretty unique situation, but you're right, there are 8-10 kids who are scholarship long snappers. The peculiarity of it is also a part of our, often-cited, lack of depth.

So yeah, it happens. It's becoming more of a trend, I just think it's odd that we offered a long snapper in PJ Fleck's second class.

per Greene:

With nearly 20 offers to his credit, Willis is in the process of trying to find the right school for himself. He will take his first official visit this coming weekend.

"I think I have around 17 offers right now," Willis stated. "I would say that Minnesota is really standing out to me right now, and I will be taking an official visit there on June 8."

"I'm being recruited by Coach (Joe) Rossi, and he seems like a really good guy," he added. "I think Minnesota has a really good program, and I'm looking forward to checking everything out."

"When I go there on my visit, and I'm looking to learn more about their program, and be able to spend more time around the coaching staff," he continued. "Minnesota is the only official visit I have scheduled right now."

Minnesota isn't the only school to have caught the eye of the Ohio product, and he is considering a few other programs for future official visits.

https://247sports.com/Article/The-O...isit-Minnesota-this-coming-weekend--118776665

Go Gophers!!

"I would say that Minnesota is really standing out to me right now, and I will be taking an official visit there on June 8."

That makes at least 5 official visits on Friday, all of whom have Minnesota listed as "warm".

That makes at least 5 official visits on Friday, all of whom have Minnesota listed as "warm".

Sounds like a few spotlights to me. Which is good now that we can get 25 kids instead of the 15 we thought a month ago.

A 5th is not on that list. Post 1103 a few above this one. Donald Willis.

How many Defensive Tackles can we possibly take any more? Seems like we've signed 20 in the past 2 years.

Top Bottom