Baseball in US Bank Stadium?

karmakiller

Reaction score
Think I saw that is happening. Cool if true. Is this correct?

One of the sad things about the metrodome being demolished was small college and d1 tourneys were no longer able to play there in the early spring.

Great foresight in ability to make it a multipurpose facility.

Think I saw that is happening. Cool if true. Is this correct?

One of the sad things about the metrodome being demolished was small college and d1 tourneys were no longer able to play there in the early spring.

Great foresight in ability to make it a multipurpose facility.

http://www.startribune.com/us-bank-stadium-isn-t-just-for-football/384871271/

As giddy as the newlyweds will be, perhaps no one will be as happy to see the stadium finally open as John Anderson, the longtime Gophers baseball coach. The field can be converted for baseball, and the Gophers can’t wait.

With Minnesota springs not particularly conducive to America’s pastime, the Gophers used to play early-season games in the Metrodome. When that closed, they were forced to head to warmer climates to find games, and they started racking up frequent flier miles faster than on-base-percentage stats.

“Last year, we played our first 21 games on the road,” Anderson said. “For the season, we played only 17 Division I games at home out of a total of 52 Division I games on our schedule.”

Not only is it harder to win on the road, he said, but it’s harder for players to keep up with their studies. Traveling also takes away practice time. Fans also lost opportunities to see the team play.

The Gophers are expecting to book about 15 spring games in the stadium, including an annual tournament with top teams from around the country.

“We’re excited about the chance to play there,” Anderson said. “It will be a big boost for our program.”

Small colleges are booking baseball games there, too, as are some high school teams. The Sports Facilities Authority is basically donating the time to the teams, Kelm-Helgen said.

The Minnesota State High School League also is looking forward to moving late fall tournaments indoors. It will get five rent-free dates for football and soccer playoffs

Have they announce the field for the 2017 DQ classic yet?

According to a post in another thread about baseball the teams listed was Hawaii, Oral Roberts and Iowa. It also stated the Gophers would play Hawaii twice, I assume instead of playing Iowa.

According to a post in another thread about baseball the teams listed was Hawaii, Oral Roberts and Iowa. It also stated the Gophers would play Hawaii twice, I assume instead of playing Iowa.
Iowa and Minnesota will play since they aren't scheduled during the Big Ten season due to the rotation.

If only Wisconsin would add baseball...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, the initial designs weren't going to allow for baseball but there was pressure to change it.

If I remember correctly, the initial designs weren't going to allow for baseball but there was pressure to change it.
I believe they just found a way to make it work thought I remember hearing the dimensions aren't exactly what they'd like in some places. Something like only 300 ft to RF wall but I think the wall will be taller like the old baggy at the Metrodome.

Top Bottom