Sorry Gopher Fans the Biggest Problem With This Program Is...

Considering Minnesota is top 5 in Big Ten athletics revenue, there's really no reason to not spend top dollar on a coach.

I'm not sure top 5 revenue in B1G is "top dollar" in coaching salary. The top line is pretty steep as far as coaching spending goes.

Cute indeed. So why should fans donate money to the program?

A multitude of reasons, but I'm more interested in why you are changing the subject? I didn't comment on anything you said that had anything to do with donating $ what-so-ever. I commented on your statement implying that fans cheering for the Gophers can influence their results on the field. Sounds kinda silly when someone else says it, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A multitude of reasons, but I'm more interested in why you are changing the subject? I didn't comment on anything you said that had anything to do with donating $ what-so-ever. I commented on your statement implying that fans cheering for the Gophers can influence their results on the field. Sounds kinda silly when someone else says it, huh?

You are a silly guy to be sure. The original post I responded to suggested that fans expectations had zero influence on the program. I don't see donations and fan expectations as being mutually exclusive but perhaps you can enlighten me as to why not?

I'm not sure top 5 revenue in B1G is "top dollar" in coaching salary. The top line is pretty steep as far as coaching spending goes.

Just saying the university is more than capable of committing to an upper-tier staff. Some schools put money into football, some don't.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-25%20at%2010.29.39%20AM_zpsos6p5dcg.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-25%20at%2010.29.16%20AM_zpsffv6wtwy.png

Just saying the university is more than capable of committing to an upper-tier staff. Some schools put money into football, some don't.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-25%20at%2010.29.39%20AM_zpsos6p5dcg.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-25%20at%2010.29.16%20AM_zpsffv6wtwy.png

I'm not convinced Tracy's salary alone is emblematic of the system.... nor is $0 all that encouraging.

I'm also not sure all programs do their accounting identically. I belive our debt load is pretty high.

You are a silly guy to be sure. <b>The original post I responded to suggested that fans expectations had zero influence on the program. </b>I don't see donations and fan expectations as being mutually exclusive but perhaps you can enlighten me as to why not?

Simple - your response to that post saying fan expectations had zero influence was "why do you cheer then"? No talk of donations at all.

Wanting the gophers to win, expecting the gophers to win, cheering for the gophers to win, and the like have no impact on the results. Maybe if I would have went to Happy Valley and yelled we would have won?

Now you are going to change this into a donating $ conversation which is totally different. What next, you gonna say coaches and players matter? Duh. This whole "fans accept mediocrity is the problem" discussion may be the dumbest thing ever posted on GH and that is saying a lot. How you or I react to a win/loss or how/where/why or if we cheer for them has zero, zip, zilch influence on results. We discuss it here - which is fun - but it changes nothing.

Simple - your response to that post saying fan expectations had zero influence was "why do you cheer then"? No talk of donations at all.

Wanting the gophers to win, expecting the gophers to win, cheering for the gophers to win, and the like have no impact on the results. Maybe if I would have went to Happy Valley and yelled we would have won?

Now you are going to change this into a donating $ conversation which is totally different. What next, you gonna say coaches and players matter? Duh. This whole "fans accept mediocrity is the problem" discussion may be the dumbest thing ever posted on GH and that is saying a lot. How you or I react to a win/loss or how/where/why or if we cheer for them has zero, zip, zilch influence on results. We discuss it here - which is fun - but it changes nothing.

You took the bait with the cute cheering comment. The comment that fan expectations have 0.00% influence seems to me to be a pretty wide open comment that could include all sorts of things like cheering and donating money. I promise not to deviate from the fan angle of this thread which I do agree is in incredibly stupid but here we are.

Not sure why I am inserting myself in this argument, and I might be missing something cuz I didn't read the previous pages, but are you telling me that having a large, rowdy crowd can't have an effect on the outcome? Isn't it possible that a hundred thousand screaming fans might have had an impact on the PSU victory over OSU? Maybe I'm missing something.

Not sure why I am inserting myself in this argument, and I might be missing something cuz I didn't read the previous pages, but are you telling me that having a large, rowdy crowd can't have an effect on the outcome? Isn't it possible that a hundred thousand screaming fans might have had an impact on the PSU victory over OSU? Maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, I see your point. I was saying whether I cheer or not or how I cheer has no effect. Now a whole stadium of 100K obviously can have an impact. My main callout here is this stupid "don't accept mediocrity" campaign - but I do see your point and MNGOPH1 dude has explained his point.

We don't have the booster support system here to spend big time dollars on a coaching staff. LSU didn't pony up the money for Aranda the boosters did.

Yeah, I see your point. I was saying whether I cheer or not or how I cheer has no effect. Now a whole stadium of 100K obviously can have an impact. My main callout here is this stupid "don't accept mediocrity" campaign - but I do see your point and MNGOPH1 dude has explained his point.

Your cheers count, Starting a national get out the cheer campaign. This is how we will "Make the Gophers Great Again"

Doesn't home team crowd noise make any difference?

OK, it seems the question here is Can fans have a direct impact on the program? It depends on how you define impact. If one fan cancels his season tickets, or stops donating to the U of MN, the impact is minimal. If 100 fans, or 1,000 fans do the same, it will have an impact. Likewise, if one fan buys a new season ticket package or makes a donation, it's not going to move the needle. But if 100 fans or 1,000 fans buy into the program, I think that would definitely be noticed by the powers-that-be.

If the AD or the University President receives one angry e-mail from a fed-up fan, again - minimal impact. If they receive 1,000 angry e-mails, or 5,000 angry e-mails, they will definitely notice.

So - can one fan make a difference? Probably not. But if a group of fans act as a unit, yes, I think they can make an impact in the program.

And if you all cheer real loud on Saturday, Mitch Leidner will hear you and throw tighter spirals.

We don't have the booster support system here to spend big time dollars on a coaching staff. LSU didn't pony up the money for Aranda the boosters did.

Why is this? The economy here is certainly better than it is in Wisconsin. They seem to be able to raise more money, though not at LSU levels.

Top Bottom