Sorry Gopher Fans the Biggest Problem With This Program Is...

Sid Hartman

Banned
Reaction score
Like some Gopher fans I have finally reached my breaking point and apathy has set in...I could care less about this program moving forward the rest of this season and seasons ahead. Every year we are fed false positives that this year is different and it is going to be our year only to watch them wet the bed whenever they have a chance to change the narrative of the program. However the biggest problem is not on the field it is in the stands with the vocal segment of Gopher fans who are blind and loyal to a fault and accept this team is ok being average. I hate Jim Souhan and other local sports writers just as much as many of you but the vitriol of how hard some Gopher fans defend this program to absolute legit criticism is an embarrassment. Why should we not criticize mediocrity and want better? Until the fans demand a football program that is better we are going to be stuck living in the status quo of being a speed bump in the big 10.

Please Mark Coyle do something to shake this program up...don't listen to the fans who will blindly support Tracy Claeys to their grave and get a legitimate coach in here that will give us a chance of being upper tier in the Big 10.

Oh how I can't wait for Gopher Fans to rip me a new one!!!

Isn't the large drop in STH the fans saying they won't accept this? How else do the fans voice this? Yelling on Oak Street?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think having a pro team in town leads to the fans treatment of the Gophers. General public treats the two levels differently. Media doesn't.

Good valid points. I'm sure Coyle will be getting some negative e-mails this week, but I don't see him pulling the plug on TC if the season continues the way it is until the end of the season.
Saw a lot of frustration today at the game. I really felt bad for students today . They were out in force.

Who "blindly supports" Tracy Claeys? Thanks in advance.

Who "blindly supports" Tracy Claeys? Thanks in advance.

Listen to Mackey and Judd and the minute they criticize the program for wetting the bed at Penn State they get 10 emails from Gopher bobo's defending the program and criticizing them for being negative to the program

I guess it just depends on what you consider a fan. There are people on this board who think if you don't watch every game or get season tickets, you're not a fan.

I'll always wear my Gopher apparel at work on Fridays. But if today is the kind of football we get, I won't spend my Saturdays watching and most certainly won't spend money to go see it in person. It appears to me like every great program starts with a great coach and staff. Seems like we just need to get serious about finding ours. Definitely going to be a tough season.

I guess it just depends on what you consider a fan. There are people on this board who think if you don't watch every game or get season tickets, you're not a fan.

I'll always wear my Gopher apparel at work on Fridays. But if today is the kind of football we get, I won't spend my Saturdays watching and most certainly won't spend money to go see it in person. It appears to me like every great program starts with a great coach and staff. Seems like we just need to get serious about finding ours. Definitely going to be a tough season.

I agree with the idea of this thread but you also need the administration to set the tone to the AD that winning is a priority. Donna Shalala hired BA and as much as I hate the Drunks they set the tone for a highly competitive program. I hope Coyle is getting the support he needs to be successful here but I doubt that includes TC. I have both Gopher/ Viking season tickets and this year that is a blessing. I truly want the U to succeed but they are hard to watch now.

Should we plan a protest on Washington Ave? So stupid.

Should we plan a protest on Washington Ave? So stupid.

Think the attendance for the last few home games will speak loud enough volumes and when corporate sponsors start to move their $ around to more relevant local teams

Like some Gopher fans I have finally reached my breaking point and apathy has set in...I could care less about this program moving forward the rest of this season and seasons ahead. Every year we are fed false positives that this year is different and it is going to be our year only to watch them wet the bed whenever they have a chance to change the narrative of the program. However the biggest problem is not on the field it is in the stands with the vocal segment of Gopher fans who are blind and loyal to a fault and accept this team is ok being average. I hate Jim Souhan and other local sports writers just as much as many of you but the vitriol of how hard some Gopher fans defend this program to absolute legit criticism is an embarrassment. Why should we not criticize mediocrity and want better? Until the fans demand a football program that is better we are going to be stuck living in the status quo of being a speed bump in the big 10.

Please Mark Coyle do something to shake this program up...don't listen to the fans who will blindly support Tracy Claeys to their grave and get a legitimate coach in here that will give us a chance of being upper tier in the Big 10.

Oh how I can't wait for Gopher Fans to rip me a new one!!!
+100

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are you telling us we shouldn't go to game or something... to make the team better?

Listen to Mackey and Judd and the minute they criticize the program for wetting the bed at Penn State they get 10 emails from Gopher bobo's defending the program and criticizing them for being negative to the program

It's almost like there are multiple opinions.

Why?

Agree with Sid. For way too many years the mediocrity of Golden Gopher Football has been accepted and have listened to all the excuses, from sports beat writers to the fans - even the fact that we have a professional football team is causing our problems. it is all crap. Tired of losing, tired of the excuses, tired of watching poor execution, tired of 1st round draft choice talk, tired of comment like we competed hard. Iowa and Penn State are crap teams and we lost to both. We are not very good....look for more excuses at Maryland. If this administration cannot keep a class act like a Jerry Kill around, it is apparent that winning is not important.

Agree with Sid. For way too many years the mediocrity of Golden Gopher Football has been accepted and have listened to all the excuses, from sports beat writers to the fans - even the fact that we have a professional football team is causing our problems. it is all crap. Tired of losing, tired of the excuses, tired of watching poor execution, tired of 1st round draft choice talk, tired of comment like we competed hard. Iowa and Penn State are crap teams and we lost to both. We are not very good....look for more excuses at Maryland. If this administration cannot keep a class act like a Jerry Kill around, it is apparent that winning is not important.

So if the average fan stops making excuses when they post on random message boards or when they are talking to their buddies, then we'll start to be a good program? I get the frustration, I just don't understand when people some fans don't lose their minds after every loss, then they are somehow the problem.

Can people tell me what I need to do to start not accepting mediocrity? I want to make sure I do my part to get us to the next level.

So if the average fan stops making excuses when they post on random message boards or when they are talking to their buddies, then we'll start to be a good program? I get the frustration, I just don't understand when people some fans don't lose their minds after every loss, then they are somehow the problem.

Can people tell me what I need to do to start not accepting mediocrity? I want to make sure I do my part to get us to the next level.

I stopped accepting mediocrity at the end of 2014.... somehow my acceptance hasn't changed anything for the better.

I stopped accepting mediocrity at the end of 2014.... somehow my acceptance hasn't changed anything for the better.

We won a bowl game though! So your no longer accepting of said mediocrity may have helped. So thank you.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe we are pissing and moaning too much. Puting too much pressure on the powers to be.

Being a helicopter fan is not always effective.:rolleyes:

Today I missed my second game ever at TCF Bank stadium. Apathy is setting in for me.

And my point is made...you have accepted the fact that nothing is going to change so why get mad. Fans need to get pissed off and show we are done accepting this marginal product.

And my point is made...you have accepted the fact that nothing is going to change so why get mad. Fans need to get pissed off and show we are done accepting this marginal product.

What should we do? Meet at Coffman and hand out pitchforks and torches? I could be wrong but I seem to recall at least once or twice over the last four or five decades fans expressing their displeasure with gopher football. Maybe the next half century will be different?

I never said I wasn't mad. I have not accepted that nothing is going to change. I just understand that I'm not going to be able to make those changes. What do you want me to do? Email Coyle? Stop going to games? Post 100% negative things on a message board? Egg Claeys' house? Kick my dog because I'm pissed we aren't very good?

Unless you have millions to contribute, nothing is going to change. The U doesn't care if you're mad.

I suppose we could move to the MAC or the MVfC for that matter. We'll be guaranteed the same lousy bowl games we're accustomed to or play in second rate championship games often, but our win percentage will be more to your liking.

You never answered the question.

I get the angst, but regarding your OP, what are fans supposed to do? Jump up and down and stomp our feet. Half the people on this board complained about ticket prices this year and many were posting about dropping their tickets. Yet, we complain about mediocrity?

I was at Penn State last weekend and for all the problems that team/school has had, their fans still turned out in droves. Our fans are pathetic by comparison.

We lost 2 games by a combined 10 points. I am not ready to jump off a cliff yet.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Huh? Why would we want to keep a mediocre loser like Jerry Kill around if we want to win?

Good point! And I'm not confident that my experience would be any different if I followed your lead.

Unless you have millions to contribute, nothing is going to change. The U doesn't care if you're mad.

Yes, there are mad people and then there are mad people who put their money behind their anger.

We lost 2 games by a combined 10 points. I am not ready to jump off a cliff yet.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Sensible words. If one looked at the schedule in the middle of the summer, the two games we just lost are games that many fans might have expected to lose. PSU has been recruiting very well for a number of years and playing them at Happy Valley should have been considered a challenge. Iowa was the favorite to win the western division. But, those two teams experienced early season struggles and fans all of a sudden started thinking that we should be the favorites in those games and that we would be failures if we didn't win them.

The games coming up are different. The next four games were games that fans may have viewed as "should win" or "winnable" if looking at those in the middle of the summer. Just the opposite of PSU and Iowa, Maryland wasn't well regarded entering the season, but got off to a 4-0 start. Then, they performed closer to prior expectations by being thumped at PSU yesterday.

We'll see what happens for the remaining twelve games. The offense had played pretty well until yesterday. The defense hadn't played very well other than yesterday and the first game. If both units can keep the higher levels of play consistently through the rest of the season, this team can still finish with a pretty fair record.

Top Bottom