I don't see how this team will win 10 or 11 games

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Some Gopher "experts" who are prominently on the radio (or at least one), had this team at 10 or 11 wins.

I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I can't see how this team will get 10 wins, let alone 11.

I think we might win 2 more games.
If we only win two more games we'll have to hope a lot of other teams don't make 6-6 so we can be bowl eligible at 5-7 again.

Some Gopher "experts" who are prominently on the radio (or at least one), had this team at 10 or 11 wins.

I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I can't see how this team will get 10 wins, let alone 11.

If we only win two more games we'll have to hope a lot of other teams don't make 6-6 so we can be bowl eligible at 5-7 again.

Timing is everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After watching todays game it is hard to see them winning any road games but the 3 @ home are all winnable. Of course, so were the first two games. We went to the Outback bowl 2 years ago but most of those 6-6 bowls are not too exciting.

Don't care much about total wins at this point. Just eyeing that Wisconsin game now.

I don't see how they win 5. I appreciate your pessimistic optimism.

Beat Wisconsin! Nothing else matters.

I guess I agree, but what single thing can you use as evidence to make you think something different will happen against Wisconsin this year?

Maryland isn't good.
NW isn't good.
Purdue stinks.
Illinois stinks.
Rutgers is horrible.
Nebraska entirely capable of giving away a game.
Wisconsin is rivalry game.
Gophers will go bowling somewhere.

Maryland isn't good.
NW isn't good.
Purdue stinks.
Illinois stinks.
Rutgers is horrible.
Nebraska entirely capable of giving away a game.
Wisconsin is rivalry game.
Gophers will go bowling somewhere.
Only Starlight bowling

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think Leidner must be our 2nd worst passing QB in 20 years.

You posted this last week as well:

Of the last 12 starting QB's this program has had, he ranks bottom two IMO.

I listed the last 12 starting QB's. They are:

Leidner - 56.7%, 33 TD, 24 INT
Nelson - as a Gophers, 50.0% completion, 17 TD, 14 INT
Gray - 50.8%, 14 TD, 11 INT
Shortell - 53.5%, 8 TD, 7 INT
Weber - 57%, 72 TD, 51 INT
Cupito - 55.9%, 55 TD, 25 INT
Abdul-Khaliq - 56.9%, 55 TD, 25 INT
Cole - 55.9%, 16 TD, 10 INT
Cockerham - 52%, 29 TD, 24 INT
Sauter - 57%, 40 TD, 34 INT
Schade - 51.4%, 22 TD, 23 INT
Eckers - 56.1%, 15 TD, 17 INT

Many times we think of former players as being better than they actually were.

I guess I agree, but what single thing can you use as evidence to make you think something different will happen against Wisconsin this year?

Our defense played better this week. If our defense can play like that each week we have a chance to win any game. We just need to get out of our own way.

So after we already lost two big ten games, you are calling out the preseason predictions that had us winning 10?

Gophers were 2-6 last year in the B1G West and the win over a very bad Purdue team is all that stood between them and last place. They also lost by double digits in 4 of those conference losses. I'm not sure exactly what those expects saw other than a much softer schedule. They can still beat MD, ILL, PUR, NU, and Rutgers. Zero chance at NEB or WISC. 8-4 is still very much in play but my money is 7-5.

So after we already lost two big ten games, you are calling out the preseason predictions that had us winning 10?

I'm certainly not going to call them out prior to games being played when all you could read around this place was that we would win the West.
I would have been laughed out of here.

Well, not sure how much Shortell counts, but regardless.

Weber, Cupito, Abdul-Khaliq, Cockerham, Cole, Schade.. all better.

Thank for looking all that up. Good QBs hit at 65% or so, some much better than that.

I think this proves that you just don't like Leidner and your opinion is clouding your judgement. How on earth do you figure Cockerham and Schade are better passers when their numbers are much worse? Neither one ever had a season with a 55% completion percentage. Shade had more INT than TD for crying out loud.

I get it. Leidner isn't a great QB. But c'mon people, he isn't the worst QB to ever play the game of football.

Thank for looking all that up. Good QBs hit at 65% or so, some much better than that.

That is true in some senses. But at the college level so much is system based. If the gophers stay spread Weber is probably 10% better in completion percentage his last two years simply because of system.

Personally I think 6-6 or 7-5 are the most likely outcomes at this point, but you never know.

Originally Posted by GophersInIowa:

"Originally Posted by Face The Facts:I think Leidner must be our 2nd worst passing QB in 20 years".

"Quote Originally Posted by - Face The Facts:Of the last 12 starting QB's this program has had, he ranks bottom two IMO."

I (Gophers in Iowa) listed the last 12 starting QB's. They are:

---------------

:confused:

Your future self thinks they will totally collapse because they don't have Leidner anymore. And that was before he looked awful for the rest of 2016 too.

I was short-changing his leadership abilities back then.

I'm wrong a lot.

Why?

Originally Posted by GophersInIowa:

"Originally Posted by Face The Facts:I think Leidner must be our 2nd worst passing QB in 20 years".

"Quote Originally Posted by - Face The Facts:Of the last 12 starting QB's this program has had, he ranks bottom two IMO."

I (Gophers in Iowa) listed the last 12 starting QB's. They are:

---------------

:confused:

Your future self thinks they will totally collapse because they don't have Leidner anymore. And that was before he looked awful for the rest of 2016 too.

Why would anyone worry about our quarterback play in 2017? (Many comments in other threads about the inexperience) Whoever it is will perform at the level of the last 12 Gopher starting QB's. I'd like to think we may find an improvement in the 13th guy this year when it comes to passing. Leidner had intangibles and other talents but his documented passing stats are ordinary like the rest of the collection. I think we may have our best quarterback this year because of coaching and play calling. Coaches putting the quarterback in a position to succeed. I don't think that has happened very often for the previous 12 guys.

Top Bottom