Homecoming Tip-Off at Williams Arena: MBB & WBB

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/100716aaa.html

Following the Rutgers football game walk over to Williams Arena.

Fans of Gopher Basketball will have their first chance to see and meet members of the men’s and women’s basketball teams on Saturday, October 22, as Minnesota will host the Homecoming Tip-Off at Williams Arena.

The event, which is free and open to the public, will begin 20 minutes after the conclusion of the Minnesota-Rutgers football game across the street at TCF Bank Stadium. That game is slated for an 11:00 a.m. kickoff.

Both the men’s and women’s teams will take the court for an intrasquad scrimmage, with head coaches Richard Pitino and Marlene Stollings on the microphone during their team’s game. Joining them will be master of ceremonies Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN, the flagship radio station for Gopher men’s and women’s basketball.

Following the scrimmages, fans will have the chance to meet and greet coaches and players from both teams during a one-hour autograph session in the Sports Pavilion. Both teams feature several returners – eight Gopher men and six Gopher women – along with nine newcomers for the women and six new players on the men’s team

Horrible plan. Where do you park if you want to go to the basketball practice only with it starting 20 minutes after the homecoming football game ends? Tubby tried a shared open practice with the womens team and it was a huge flop.

Excellent Idea

Horrible plan. Where do you park if you want to go to the basketball practice only with it starting 20 minutes after the homecoming football game ends? Tubby tried a shared open practice with the womens team and it was a huge flop.

You could park almost anywhere and ride the light rail. You could take a cab. You could rent a limo. You could get dropped off and picked up by a friend. You could actually go to the Homecoming football game.

It's an excellent idea to allow people to see both mens and womens basketball teams for free. Also meet them if you would like to. Nice bonus for Gopher sports fans.

You could park almost anywhere and ride the light rail. You could take a cab. You could rent a limo. You could get dropped off and picked up by a friend. You could actually go to the Homecoming football game.

It's an excellent idea to allow people to see both mens and womens basketball teams for free. Also meet them if you would like to. Nice bonus for Gopher sports fans.

Exactly 60's. With the football team looking bad, this will give the fans a chance to see what the hoops are up to. Especially the out of town fans. Help create some excitement too. We will be going after the FB game.

Awful plan all around. I don't watch a single women's game and don't care to watch them half this scrimmage session. I'll be there, but this is a disappointment.

This was obviously designed in order to get as many people as possible to attend as the students/fans can simply walk across the street and check this out. There's no perfect way to do this sort of thing when both programs aren't exactly looking to win any kind of a title this year. If they did a "midnight madness" type of event strictly for the mans bball team there wouldn't be many people at all in attendance. Not a good look. I think they are trying to make the most out of this and I can't fault them for that.

This was obviously designed in order to get as many people as possible to attend as the students/fans can simply walk across the street and check this out. There's no perfect way to do this sort of thing when both programs aren't exactly looking to win any kind of a title this year. If they did a "midnight madness" type of event strictly for the mans bball team there wouldn't be many people at all in attendance. Not a good look. I think they are trying to make the most out of this and I can't fault them for that.

The women could surprise this year.

Top Bottom