UGH! Fitzgerald To Miss Season After Knee Injury

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Fitzgerald To Miss Season After Knee Injury

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Friday that redshirt junior Davonte Fitzgerald (Atlanta, Ga./Tucker HS/Texas A&M) will miss the upcoming 2016-17 season after suffering a left knee injury.

During practice on Thursday afternoon, Fitzgerald tore the anterior cruciate ligament, medial and lateral meniscus in his left knee in a non-contact situation.

“We are disappointed in the recent injury news as it pertains to Davonte,” Pitino said. “He had worked extremely hard to get himself ready for this season. We are confident he will be back and ready to go next season.”

Fitzgerald joined the Gophers in 2015 and redshirted last season due to NCAA transfer rules, after spending his first two years at Texas A&M.

Go Gophers!!

raining_david_tennant.gif

Real tough luck for Fitzgerald who has already had to go through this once. He definitely would have had a role this year and contributed. Would think this will put Hurt or Gilbert into a little bigger role now this season.

Seriously!!! Can't buy a break for this poor team. Get Well DF!!

Terrible news, unbelievable how things continue to pile up for this program.

Get well soon Davonte.

Wrecked knee in a non-contact situation. Sheesh, at least the sports gods could get a little more creative with this one.

Terrible news. Sorry for the kid, but I suppose better to know he's out for the season now than learning it a couple of days before the season. He was supposed to be a guy who could shoot a bit. Hopefully, someone else can take up that slack. Obviously, Hurt and Gilbert in the mix, but I expect to see more "three guard" sets like they did last year, with Mason, McBrayer, and Coffey.

Can any medical people speculate how these injuries happen? My first instinct is overuse, but I have no clue.

Terrible news. Sorry for the kid, but I suppose better to know he's out for the season now than learning it a couple of days before the season. He was supposed to be a guy who could shoot a bit. Hopefully, someone else can take up that slack. Obviously, Hurt and Gilbert in the mix, but I expect to see more "three guard" sets like they did last year, with Mason, McBrayer, and Coffey.

Can any medical people speculate how these injuries happen? My first instinct is overuse, but I have no clue.

Coffey has legit SF size. Not sure if that is the best example of a 3 guard lineup. I could see us going with Mason, Dupree, and Akeem in certain situations though.

Ouch. The ONLY bright spot to this is that we have more depth at his position than at any other. Pretty sad for the kid though, after already sitting one year out, that's tough.

Not good news for a program that could use all the bodies needed to contribute this season.

Poor kid - I thought he would be a nice piece after seeing him at the open practice last year.

Before this news I thought they might red shirt Hurt - the positive is this may give him a chance to step up and play a larger role.

Wishing Fitz a quick recovery.

Starters
PG - Mason
SG - Springs
SF - Coffey
PF - Murphy
C - Lynch

6th - McBrayer
7th - Konate
8th - Gilbert
9th - Hurt
10th - Curry

Starters
PG - Mason
SG - Springs
SF - Coffey
PF - Murphy
C - Lynch

6th - McBrayer
7th - Konate
8th - Gilbert
9th - Hurt
10th - Curry

I'd say Curry will be a head of Hurt and possibly Gilbert.

I'd say Curry will be a head of Hurt and possibly Gilbert.

Agreed, especially if everything we are hearing coming out of practices is true.

If Konate is playing more than 10/MPG max, we are in trouble this season.

Once Big Ten play rolls around, we can probably get away with an 8 man rotation depending on what we see from Gilbert/Hurt. If one of those two steps up, great. If not, we could do something like this:

PG: Nate 32/ Dupree 8
SG: Akeem 20/ Dupree 20
SF: Amir 30/ Akeem 10
PF: Murphy 27/ Curry 13
C: Reggie 23/ Bakary 10/ Curry 7

Totals:
Nate- 32mpg
Amir- 30mpg
Akeem- 30mpg
Dupree- 28mpg
Murphy- 27mpg
Reggie- 23mpg
Curry- 20mpg
Konate- 10mpg

Not a very high margin of error though. We absolutely cannot have anymore injuries.

Agreed, especially if everything we are hearing coming out of practices is true.

If Konate is playing more than 10/MPG max, we are in trouble this season.

I was listing the bench priority as I believe it will be early in the season, before Hurt and Curry fully prove themselves.

Once Big Ten play rolls around, we can probably get away with an 8 man rotation depending on what we see from Gilbert/Hurt. If one of those two steps up, great. If not, we could do something like this:

Totals:
Nate- 32mpg
Amir- 30mpg
Akeem- 30mpg
Dupree- 28mpg
Murphy- 27mpg
Reggie- 23mpg
Curry- 20mpg
Konate- 10mpg

Not a very high margin of error though. We absolutely cannot have anymore injuries.

The good thing is that we will have Sharp available for spot minutes at the 1/2. Front court depth is very concerning now however.

Totals:
Nate- 32mpg
Amir- 30mpg
Akeem- 30mpg
Dupree- 28mpg
Murphy- 27mpg
Reggie- 23mpg
Curry- 20mpg
Konate- 10mpg

Springs makes for a pretty small wing.. hope Hurt can step up and contribute there. Was really looking forward to having 2 athletic 6'8 guys to play and defend the wing. Now we'll have the same issues we had being undersized there when Coffey is resting.

Totals:
Nate- 32mpg
Amir- 30mpg
Akeem- 30mpg
Dupree- 28mpg
Murphy- 27mpg
Reggie- 23mpg
Curry- 20mpg
Konate- 10mpg

"Play 8, trust 7." - Jim Molinari

Go Gophers!!

Totals:
Nate- 32mpg
Amir- 30mpg
Akeem- 30mpg
Dupree- 28mpg
Murphy- 27mpg
Reggie- 23mpg
Curry- 20mpg
Konate- 10mpg

Only minor quibbles with the details, but the overall picture looks about right with no margin for error. Someone in there is going to have to be able to shoot from the perimeter. If Curry gives us above expectations inside play, it opens it up the perimeter some. I think the shooting need is great enough that if Hurt proves he can shoot, he has to get ten minutes a game.

Old GOG can't even let the season start before taking action. Sigh. I'm not sure which team in this town is more cursed, the Vikings or Gopher basketball.

Top Bottom