UGH! Fitzgerald To Miss Season After Knee Injury

Springs makes for a pretty small wing.. hope Hurt can step up and contribute there. Was really looking forward to having 2 athletic 6'8 guys to play and defend the wing. Now we'll have the same issues we had being undersized there when Coffey is resting.

We did alright with 6'4" Austin Hollins playing SF in Pitino's first year, with the Dre's at 1 and 2. I kinda miss those guys.

Just sad...that's 3 years he has to watch...1st knee injury, sitting out as a transfer, now 2nd knee injury. Hope he makes it back. As a program we can't afford injuries and suspensions etc. Dang! Regarding shooting and Hurt. He's probably the best possibility...however I don't see it as his mentality to light people up. I do think he'll get opportunity. Even if it's subconscious, with his brother in play Michael is going to get opportunity. And all reports are Michael works hard...so he'll get minutes early...I would think. Hopefully he earns more minutes. We had a run of good news about Gopher basketball before the Fitzgerald news...hopefully we get back to the good news streak.

of course something had to go wrong, we had too many months of positivity leading into the season.

Now Coffey, Hurt, Gilbert and Springs will get significant time at the 3. And our rotation at the 4 spot just got smaller. This puts more emphasis on Lynch being healthy throughout the season and getting a shooter to step up like Springs, Hurt or McBrayer.

Really too bad for the young man. He went through all this waiting and then this. Same knee as the first injury or is it the other?

Another non-contact knee injury.

Can Bradford shoot the 3?

Another non-contact knee injury.

Can Bradford shoot the 3?

Yep. Here is a highlight and he talks about his ability to hit the 3, starting around the 17-second mark:

Go Gophers!!

Feel so bad for the young man, especially given how he sat out last year. Hope he heals up and can play for UM next year. Hang in there!

Poor guy. That's gonna be a long recovery and he's already had to miss so much basketball for so long. Hope he doesn't lose motivation.

Terrible news. Sorry for the kid, but I suppose better to know he's out for the season now than learning it a couple of days before the season. He was supposed to be a guy who could shoot a bit. Hopefully, someone else can take up that slack. Obviously, Hurt and Gilbert in the mix, but I expect to see more "three guard" sets like they did last year, with Mason, McBrayer, and Coffey.

Can any medical people speculate how these injuries happen? My first instinct is overuse, but I have no clue.

Not an overuse type of injury

Not from my experience or this info

Not an overuse type of injury

http://www.rushortho.com/anterior-cruciate-ligament-ACL-injuries.cfm

Paragraph 2: "How does the ACL get injured? Sometimes, the non-contact ACL injury can be exacerbated by overuse, when an athlete continues to play one sport year round without a break. Experts are most concerned about the rising number of non-contact ACL injuries, which account for nearly 70 percent of all ACL injuries." Same deal for Teddy...

per Marcus:

Davonte Fitzgerald and Reggie Lynch were hoping to accomplish big things together as two transfers bringing an impact to the Gophers this season.

But knee injuries have sidelined them both in the past two weeks, most notably Fitzgerald, who suffered a season-ending torn ACL for the second time in his career, coach Richard Pitino announced Friday.

“I hate delivering the difficult news about Davonte Fitzgerald,” Pitino wrote on Twitter. “He is without a doubt the hardest worker in the program and would have been extremely valuable piece this season.”

http://www.startribune.com/davonte-...-waiting-preparing-to-help-gophers/396367811/

Go Gophers!!

I feel horrible for him. I hope he recovers quickly and comes back next year at full strength.

I feel terrible for Davonte, to have to go through ACL recovery a second time has to be incredibly difficult physically and psychologically. I wish him all the best in a very difficult time and hope surgery and rehab goes well.

A few thoughts on how this pertains to the Gophers: If this means more minutes for Gilbert then he better be vastly improved from what we saw last season. This also makes you re-visit the Charles Buggs grad transfer as the Gophers ended up not using his scholarship and just giving it Haugh. They are now in a situation where they have only 11 recruited athletes on scholarship with two of the returning players having not shown the ability to play at this level. That's not to say Buggs is a savior or that he even would have stayed, but we were vulnerable in the Spring with Lynch in limbo and it would be nice to actually have 13 recruited players on the roster at some point. Roster management is an issue for Pitino beyond just the bad luck. Finally, the last three transfers the Gophers have taken that have had to sit out a year have combined for: 3 surgeries, 2 suspensions, and 1 dismissal from the program.

Finally, the last three transfers the Gophers have taken that have had to sit out a year have combined for: 3 surgeries, 2 suspensions, and 1 dismissal from the program.

Ok, I give up. Who is the third guy that transferred in, sat out a year, had surgery, was suspended and ultimately was dismissed?

Ok, I give up. Who is the third guy that transferred in, sat out a year, had surgery, was suspended and ultimately was dismissed?

I think he is referring to Lofton, but I don't recall him having surgery.

http://www.rushortho.com/anterior-cruciate-ligament-ACL-injuries.cfm

Paragraph 2: "How does the ACL get injured? Sometimes, the non-contact ACL injury can be exacerbated by overuse, when an athlete continues to play one sport year round without a break. Experts are most concerned about the rising number of non-contact ACL injuries, which account for nearly 70 percent of all ACL injuries." Same deal for Teddy...

The injury can be exacerbated by overuse. It still is from an event, just like Teddy's injury.

Top Bottom