Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez wants changes to Big Ten scheduling

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I agree with him in that the traditional powers should be split up a little bit so you don't play them all in one year in crossover games. But him keeping his mouth shut about it until now comes off as just whining. They really benefited from the scheduling the last two years. Now that it isn't to their advantage, things need to be changed.

“I remember when that schedule came out (in 2013) and I thought, ‘How the hell did you kick out something looking like that?” Alvarez told CBSSports.com. “I think you could take a look at the general strength of some programs and split them up. Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State have been good for a long time. Penn State Nittany Lions normally is in that group. Just make sure someone doesn’t get all three year in a year. That’s hard to do. That’s something the ADs are going to have to talk about some day.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/29/wisconsin-ad-barry-alvarez-wants-changes-to-big-ten-scheduling/

Yeah they didn't complain last year and the year before that when the by ten played two cross over games. We got OSU and Michigan two years in a row. They got Maryland and Rutgers two years in a row. Whatever. Whiner

Let s see next year Wis. plays Michigan ( of the big three). We have to play both Michigan and Michigan State. Quite whining.

One thing college football needs to learn from the NFL (as well as other sports): Parity makes for a healthy, robust, and dedicated fan base.

Like baseball, college football involves some of the most lopsided contests in major sports competitions. With how much money OSU and Michigan and Alabama and other helmet schools invest in their programs, it is amazing a program like ours ever beats those teams.

The NFL realized that parity keeps fans interested. You can go from a crappy team to playoffs quickly in the NFL, especially since spending is leveled between teams. As such, people keep their tickets in down years and hope truly springs eternal.

One thing college football needs to learn from the NFL (as well as other sports): Parity makes for a healthy, robust, and dedicated fan base.

Like baseball, college football involves some of the most lopsided contests in major sports competitions. With how much money OSU and Michigan and Alabama and other helmet schools invest in their programs, it is amazing a program like ours ever beats those teams.

The NFL realized that parity keeps fans interested. You can go from a crappy team to playoffs quickly in the NFL, especially since spending is leveled between teams. As such, people keep their tickets in down years and hope truly springs eternal.

what?

NFL parity isn't really achievable without breaking the whole system...

I agree with him in that the traditional powers should be split up a little bit so you don't play them all in one year in crossover games. But him keeping his mouth shut about it until now comes off as just whining. They really benefited from the scheduling the last two years. Now that it isn't to their advantage, things need to be changed.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/29/wisconsin-ad-barry-alvarez-wants-changes-to-big-ten-scheduling/

I agree that ending up with all 3 in one year is a brutal draw but I don't think the system should be changed to avoid ending up with "traditional powers" all in the same years. While it is true that Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and now Michigan State are likely to be good it is not a guarantee. Already this year it is looking like Michigan State and Penn State are both very beatable and while Michigan and Ohio State both look great it wasn't that long ago that Michigan was struggling to hang in the middle of the pack under Hoke.

It is definitely funny that he waits until now to complain about it. Didn't seem to see it as a problem when we had to play Michigan and Ohio State but suddenly his team gets a bad draw for a change and now it is something that the ADs need to address. With 7 teams on each side and both leagues needing to play 3 crossover games it seems like it would be really hard to setup a system that guarantees you don't end up with games against what would be considered traditional powers.

Spot on.

According to Sports Center Wisconsin has lost their FG kicker for the year ( back surgery ) and their top top LB Biegel for 2-4 weeks due to a foot injury. BA is having a pitty party

NFL parity isn't really achievable without breaking the whole system...

We just need to institute a draft and free agency rather than recruiting. No big deal.

On the other hand, STFU Barry. You whiny, little bitch.

They just need to go away from current conferences and schedule like the NFL. Split country north/south or east/west and have regional divisions/pods and rotate who you play outside your pod. A new system will work. Change takes time. Add a couple games. They have 100 kids on roster.

NDSU has played 15-16 games for five straight years in FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a practical standpoint, I suppose you could go with an NFL-style system where you match up teams based on the previous year's record, so a team that finished 1st in its division would play a stronger cross-over schedule than a team that finished last in its division. Maybe keep 1 designated cross-over rivalry game.

But, the fact remains that there will always be some variance in schedules. Over the years, one division or the other may be stronger - so, if you wanted to go with a completely "fair" schedule, you would have to eliminate the divisions, and do the entire schedule year-to-year based on records. I don't see that happening.

I'm not a scheduling guru so maybe this wouldn't work but....

why not rotate the teams so you play everyone at least once every three years. Give each crossover team a number at random between 1-7. For instance:

1. Ohio St
2. Indiana
3. Michigan St.
4. Maryland
5. Michigan
6. Penn St.
7. Rutgers.

Year 1 MN plays teams 1-3. The next year 4-6. The year after 7 & 1-2. Then 3-5 and so on.

Year 1 Iowa plays teams 2-4, then 5-7, then 1-3 and so on.

I'm not a scheduling guru so maybe this wouldn't work but....

why not rotate the teams so you play everyone at least once every three years. Give each crossover team a number at random between 1-7. For instance:

1. Ohio St
2. Indiana
3. Michigan St.
4. Maryland
5. Michigan
6. Penn St.
7. Rutgers.

Year 1 MN plays teams 1-3. The next year 4-6. The year after 7 & 1-2. Then 3-5 and so on.

Year 1 Iowa plays teams 2-4, then 5-7, then 1-3 and so on.

Anything can be made to work. As long as it pleases Barry.

Top Bottom