Penn State football: Zone run plays; Injuries on Defense - Penn Live

Iceland12

Reaction score
More stuff we've been familiar with.

Through the first four games of the season, Lions fans have seen offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead’s inside and outside zone offense when Trace McSorley decides between keeping the ball and handing it off to Saquon Barkley.

Critics have pointed to how McSorley doesn’t keep the ball for himself enough to keep defensive ends and blitzing secondary members honest. Some feel it slows Barkley down too much at hitting the hole and allows defenders more time to shut down the point of attack.

“The style of offense that Joe runs and Joe believes in and that he has had a lot of success with, is the inside zone, the outside zone, the tackle pull lead plays,” Franklin said. “They’ve been very, very successful. That’s how we do it, we are also factoring in that most of our plays are run-pass options.”

The Lions are No. 122 in the nation in rushing offense with 101.3 yards per game and have one of the most highly regarded running backs in the country in Barkley. Franklin also pointed to how the teams they’ve played prioritize stopping the run and potentially skewing the stats.

While running a modern, single back offense that just has the quarterback turn around and hand the ball off to the back also creates problems, just getting to the point of attack quicker isn’t the only priority in having a successful run game.

“Whenever you just hand the ball off in a one back offense, they can outnumber you in the box,” Franklin said. “I haven’t seen that be very successful.”

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/football/article_0353e672-84e8-11e6-8791-df9d6674a7e4.html

I think their zone read might be a work in progress. I saw some highlights that looked like a blind virgin tring to take a bra off. The RPO issue will be interesting to watch. Can our guys stop that? I'd feel better with last years corners playing man vs these guys.

I think their zone read might be a work in progress. I saw some highlights that looked like a blind virgin tring to take a bra off. The RPO issue will be interesting to watch. Can our guys stop that? I'd feel better with last years corners playing man vs these guys.

Hopefully that means that means they'll go to the Kill/Limegrover system of running for 1-2 yards on 1st and 2nd and then throwing on 3rd and 8.

Was that part of the Upper-Middle Class Twit of the Year contest? (Monty Python reference)

Top Bottom