NBC: Impact basketball transfers (More Names to Know: Lynch, Fitzgerald, Springs)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per NBCSports:

Davonte Fitzgerald, Reggie Lynch and Akeem Springs, Minnesota (via Texas A&M, Illinois State, Milwaukee): All three of these transfers have a chance for big minutes at Minnesota. Fitzgerald is a versatile wing, Lynch is a major shot blocker and rebounder down low and Springs is a double-figure scorer who is physical enough to handle the Big Ten.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/09/28/college-basketballs-impact-transfers/

Go Gophers!!

Based on what Pitino has said (and on my opinion of watching the these three in the past) I think Lynch (assuming he's healthy) starts for sure. Springs will either start or be the 6th man. 20+ min for him either way. Fitz I'm not so sure on. I was never all that impressed with him at A&M, and he kills you when his shot isn't falling because he doesn't do many other things well on the court. Also believe there have been some work ethic questions with him in the past. I see him as more of a spot minutes guy. Probably plays in every game, but sometimes it might be 5 min sometimes it might be 18 min.

Based on what Pitino has said (and on my opinion of watching the these three in the past) I think Lynch (assuming he's healthy) starts for sure. Springs will either start or be the 6th man. 20+ min for him either way. Fitz I'm not so sure on. I was never all that impressed with him at A&M, and he kills you when his shot isn't falling because he doesn't do many other things well on the court. Also believe there have been some work ethic questions with him in the past. I see him as more of a spot minutes guy. Probably plays in every game, but sometimes it might be 5 min sometimes it might be 18 min.

We'll see. You never know what a year off will do for a player

Hey I hope he turns out to be a stud. But I think there is a reason Pitino has toned down some of his comments about Fitz. (Maybe "toned down" isn't the right term, but what I am trying to say is that I remember Pitino talking quite a bit about Fitz 6-12 months ago and now more of the attention seems to be focused on Springs/Lynch.) As a fan I'm just not expecting as much out of him. Not necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone can play 20+ min a game. Gotta have a couple energy guys off the bench to get things going when the team needs a kick in the shorts.

Hey I hope he turns out to be a stud. But I think there is a reason Pitino has toned down some of his comments about Fitz. (Maybe "toned down" isn't the right term, but what I am trying to say is that I remember Pitino talking quite a bit about Fitz 6-12 months ago and now more of the attention seems to be focused on Springs/Lynch.) As a fan I'm just not expecting as much out of him. Not necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone can play 20+ min a game. Gotta have a couple energy guys off the bench to get things going when the team needs a kick in the shorts.

Good read, thanks.

Fitzgerald and Gilbert are two guys am curious to see this season because they've pretty much been forgotten and/or written off. Rarely talked about now with the additions of the two guys you mention + Coffey. Seems most folks have given up on Gilbert, but hoping he can provide something for the Gophers. As you pointed out, need more than just 3-4 really good players (Murphy, Mason, McBrayer, etc.). Those guys that play 8-15 minutes per game can be the difference between being so-so, good, really good, or great.

I would agree. Honestly, of all of our additions I'm most intrigued by him. Much like many of us were with Buggsie. From what Pitino has said though he's got a high BB IQ and has a good motor.

Andrew White: I thought White landed at Michigan State and this list has him at Syracuse. Any information on what happened there? Probably best for all involved, because it seemed like a low brow thing for Izzo to do in the first place.

Andrew White: I thought White landed at Michigan State and this list has him at Syracuse. Any information on what happened there? Probably best for all involved, because it seemed like a low brow thing for Izzo to do in the first place.

He visited Mich St after deciding to transfer, but didn't end up going there. Don't think he ever gave a reason. Left Nebraska because he wanted a program that would win right now.

Good read, thanks.

Fitzgerald and Gilbert are two guys am curious to see this season because they've pretty much been forgotten and/or written off. Rarely talked about now with the additions of the two guys you mention + Coffey. Seems most folks have given up on Gilbert, but hoping he can provide something for the Gophers. As you pointed out, need more than just 3-4 really good players (Murphy, Mason, McBrayer, etc.). Those guys that play 8-15 minutes per game can be the difference between being so-so, good, really good, or great.

Good point. That is often overlooked.

Good read, thanks.

If we get contributions out of Gilbert, because of improvement in Gilbert rather than out of desperation, that would mean we are probably 11 deep and a pretty good team. That's assuming that Gas still is too raw to offer much help.

I'd rather Gilbert waves his towel, does the robot, and dances like a fool while Mason and Co get fast breaks and knock down threes.

Gilbert isn't a very skilled basketball player, I saw enough last year.

He's got a lot of heart, and gives great effort, but we shouldn't go 11 deep unless we are winning big.

I think Fitzgerald will be used more than that. Coffey isn't going to play the whole game and even if he is playing big minutes, I would think some of them would come at the 1 or 2. Plus, I think Fitzgerald will get a lot of minutes at the 4 when we're going small with Curry or Murphy at center.

Top Bottom