Pro Football Focus: 4 Breakout NFL Draft Prospects (3. Steven Richardson, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pro Football Focus:

3. Steven Richardson, Defensive Interior, Minnesota

Speaking of undersized defensive linemen, Richardson has been giving centers fits from the nose tackle position this season and his 89.0 overall grade ranks second in the nation among interior defensive linemen. He uses a quick first step to get into the center’s pads and from the nose tackle spot and he fires out low to shoot gaps to disrupt plays in the backfield. At 6-0 291 pounds, Richardson may get passed over by NFL teams looking for bigger interior linemen, but it’s hard to ignore his early-season production that has included monster games against Oregon State and again last weekend against Colorado State. He’s been a strong pass-rusher each of the last two seasons, but it’s his work in the run game that has been elevated to match, and this development has been crucial for Minnesota’s defense.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dr...l&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=college

Go Gophers!!

He does have a lot of Aaron Donald to his game.

It'll be really interesting to see if Richardson gets drafted or can make it in the NFL. I think PFF is taking his listed height of 6'0 at face value. He's not and is more likely closer to 5'10". How many sub 6'0" DTs have made it in the NFL? I can't think of any.

People want to compare him to Aaron Donald or John Randle. Those 'small' DTs both measured in at 6'1", likely a full 2-3" taller than Richardson will.

He's always had the talent, but wasn't recruited by bigger schools because of how short he was. I have a feeling most NFL teams will pass on him because of his height as well. I'd love to see him prove people wrong though.

I agree with you weatherguy, he'll definitely get the pass from some teams due to his height. Hopefully he can put up some monster seasons being consistent. Go into the combine and put up some big numbers and someone could give him a shot despite his height. Honestly being that short could help him in some ways even in the NFL. Centers aren't use to going so low to block a 5'10" guy, might be awkward for them.

I agree with you weatherguy, he'll definitely get the pass from some teams due to his height. Hopefully he can put up some monster seasons being consistent. Go into the combine and put up some big numbers and someone could give him a shot despite his height. Honestly being that short could help him in some ways even in the NFL. Centers aren't use to going so low to block a 5'10" guy, might be awkward for them.

His strength is off the charts. If any of you go to practice, watch him hit the sled in DL drills. All the other DL come out of their stance pop the sled, it lifts up a foot or so, they drop and go after the imaginary QB. Richardson hits it and I kid you not, if goes all the way up in the air till it's facing the sky & the brace behind it (like a wheelie bar in drag racing) stops it from flipping over backwards. Otherwise he'd flip the sled end-over-end on every snap. It's pretty incredible to watch. I think his strength numbers at the combine will open some eyes.

This kid is sweet. Glad we've got him for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trick for him may getting a combine invite. If they don't project him as a high draft pick he may not get an invite. Size will definitely work against him in regards to the NFL but clearly it isn't holding him back in college. Greg Eslinger is a prime example of a guy that was a beast in college but not big enough to stick in the NFL. Tough to say if Richardson will end up in that same boat but regardless of what he does or doesn't do at the next level it is great having him at the U.

Top Bottom