Article on Damian Johnson: Thibodaux pro-basketball player retires on top

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Houma Today:

Thibodaux native Damian Johnson is ending his professional basketball career in the best way possible -- as a champion.

Johnson won his third straight professional basketball championship in the South East Australian Basketball League as a member of the Bendigo Braves on Sept. 10.

Johnson, 29, is one of the best basketball players to ever come from Thibodaux High, leading the Tigers to a Class 5A state runner-up finish in 2005. He played college basketball at the University of Minnesota. He started his professional career playing in Japan for the Oita Heat Devils in 2010-11, and he spent time in the NBA Developmental League with the Bakersfield Jam (2011) and Springfield Armor (2011-12).

But Johnson said most of his success came in Australia, where he won two championships with the Mount Gambier Pioneers (2014 and 2015) and another with Bendigo (2016).

“I used to dream about what it would be like to win a championship. I never thought I would end up winning three straight,” Johnson said. “I’ve been blessed to have this opportunity.”

He will shift his attention from basketball to his family, which includes his wife, Tasha, and three children, Jrue, Li’Elle and Da’Miah. The family celebrated the birth of his youngest child Da’Miah in August. They reside in Minneapolis, Minn.

“I’ve enjoyed playing basketball,” Johnson said. “I’m ready to focus on the next chapter of my life with my family. I just wanted to spend more time with them.”

http://www.houmatoday.com/news/20160925/thibodaux-pro-basketball-player-retires-on-top

Go Gophers!!

You've gotta love everything about Damian Johnson.

Glad to hear his playing overseas has gone so well. One of my favorite Gopher bball players in the last decade.

Top Bottom