Thomas Barber RS burned

Your joking right? Good coaches change things all the time to take advantage of their current talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there is a question mark so he clearly doesn't know .... also you can tell because he said that.... wtf

Your joking right? Good coaches change things all the time to take advantage of their current talent.

I thought coaches are supposed to recruit talent to fit their system? Claeys has been a successful 4-3 coach. Now he's a 3-4 coach? That's a drastic change in philosophy. Most defensive coaches are one or the other, and some game to game changes will occur depending on the opponent.

Rarely, if ever, have I heard of a defensive coach changing his system completely, especially one that got him to the position he's in now. It reeks of desperation and failure in recruiting.

As for Word's TCU comment, Patterson runs a 4-2-5. Far less of a change from a 4-3 than it is to switch to a 3-4.

I thought coaches are supposed to recruit talent to fit their system? Claeys has been a successful 4-3 coach. Now he's a 3-4 coach? That's a drastic change in philosophy. Most defensive coaches are one or the other, and some game to game changes will occur depending on the opponent.

Rarely, if ever, have I heard of a defensive coach changing his system completely, especially one that got him to the position he's in now. It reeks of desperation and failure in recruiting.

As for Word's TCU comment, Patterson runs a 4-2-5. Far less of a change from a 4-3 than it is to switch to a 3-4.

The Gophers run some 3-4 they don't run a 3-4 all the time. TC is using it in certain situations to best utilize the talent he has. Sounds more like intelligence than desperation to me - but then again, I'm no weather man.

The Gophers run some 3-4 they don't run a 3-4 all the time. TC is using it in certain situations to best utilize the talent he has. Sounds more like intelligence than desperation to me - but then again, I'm no weather man.

The 3-4 was handled fairly easily by a bad Colorado State team last week. How many good defensive lineman has Claeys/Kill recruited over the last 6 years? But sure, intelligence.

I thought about starting a thread about this yesterday, I think it deserves it's own thread. I'm wondering what Claeys long term plans are with the 3-4. Is this year a tryout? If we do well this year with it is he gonna switch to it exclusively next year? From what he's said we've been caught with our pants down a few times trying to switch back and forth from it mid-series, so doing both doesn't seem like a long term thing, or a good idea.
Thoughts?

I thought about starting a thread about this yesterday, I think it deserves it's own thread. I'm wondering what Claeys long term plans are with the 3-4. Is this year a tryout? If we do well this year with it is he gonna switch to it exclusively next year? From what he's said we've been caught with our pants down a few times trying to switch back and forth from it mid-series, so doing both doesn't seem like a long term thing, or a good idea.
Thoughts?

I could be wrong but I think it is pretty rare for a defense to try and switch back and forth between a 3-4 and 4-3 outside of an occasional look to try and confuse the offense. Seems like it would be really hard to recruit to both so have to think they are just trying it out some. Given the overall inability to recruit multiple really good defensive lineman it might make some sense to look at a 3-4 as a longterm solution as it probably is easier to find linebackers in general.

It's called evolution. Claeys has stated a number of times now that recruiting LB's has become easier and DL is tough. If you are going to recruit athletes with position flexibility it is likely they won't be on the DL. They are seeing the success that Wisconsin is having with more athletic types on the field and the ability to swarm the offense. We have some good DT's and are weak at DE. This is a way to help the DL without sticking your head in the sand and sticking in 4-3.

Looks like good coaching being able to evolve on the fly. I don't see any desperation.

I could be wrong but I think it is pretty rare for a defense to try and switch back and forth between a 3-4 and 4-3 outside of an occasional look to try and confuse the offense. Seems like it would be really hard to recruit to both so have to think they are just trying it out some. Given the overall inability to recruit multiple really good defensive lineman it might make some sense to look at a 3-4 as a longterm solution as it probably is easier to find linebackers in general.

Tracy's explanation on the radio about running 3-4, 4-3 and etc also included some references that it isn't just a 3-4 and 4-3 question for them. They're not static things, you run different kinds of 3-4s and 4-3s and in some case the number on each side isn't actually the big part of it, it is more how you do it, what the assignments are and etc, and you can do both and the change can be pretty seamless and part of a larger strategy... I don't think it is like reinventing the wheel.

Sadly this sounds like another excuse for poor recruiting. How many other schools have completely changed schemes because they can't recruit a certain position? This is along the lines of the excuse earlier this year that they were only interested in recruits that wanted to be here. Meaning they weren't going to fight for higher rated recruits with interest elsewhere. This is why we're at the bottom of the B1G in recruiting.

6'3", 310lb, athletic DT's are a premium because there's simply not as many of them as there are 6'3" 220lb, athletic LB's. LSU, Bama, Ohio St et al tend to gobble those DT's up & everyone else fights for what's left. I don't think it's defeatist to not battle LSU/Bama/tOSU for those guys, because for the most part that's a waste of time. Better to focus on guys we have a realistic shot with. If we can put together a couple 10 win seasons maybe we can get in the door with those guys, but right now that's not the case. TCU comes to mind of a team that uses smaller, faster guys on defense because that's who they can recruit. They've done well with that scheme & we know our staff has studied TCU carefully. It's like in basketball, there's only so many athletic 7' centers to be had, but there's plenty of athletic guards & swingmen, so many teams play 3 guard or small lineups. My 0.02

It's called evolution. Claeys has stated a number of times now that recruiting LB's has become easier and DL is tough. If you are going to recruit athletes with position flexibility it is likely they won't be on the DL. They are seeing the success that Wisconsin is having with more athletic types on the field and the ability to swarm the offense. We have some good DT's and are weak at DE. This is a way to help the DL without sticking your head in the sand and sticking in 4-3.

Looks like good coaching being able to evolve on the fly. I don't see any desperation.

I agree. You have to evolve or eventually go extinct. Changing styles does not necessarily equal desperation. This is VERY different than all the changes Brewster went through with all the different coordinators.

I think it has more to do that we have a lot of good and athletic LBs right now. Yeah they have struggled at time recruiting DL but they have done a great job bringing in LBs. The future looks very bright at LB with three in state true freshman already seeing action. I don't see it as failure or desperation but rather him just adapting to the strengths of the team.

I think it has more to do that we have a lot of good and athletic LBs right now. Yeah they have struggled at time recruiting DL but they have done a great job bringing in LBs. The future looks very bright at LB with three in state true freshman already seeing action. I don't see it as failure or desperation but rather him just adapting to the strengths of the team.

I agree that there appears to be a lot talent at LB. But playing 3 freshman linebackers already, is that a good thing? The defense has not been good against poor competition. Actually the defense hasn't been good since Kill resigned. I know most of you disagree, but to me, these are some red flags.

I agree that there appears to be a lot talent at LB. But playing 3 freshman linebackers already, is that a good thing? The defense has not been good against poor competition. Actually the defense hasn't been good since Kill resigned. I know most of you disagree, but to me, these are some red flags.

I thought they stayed with the 3-4 too long against Colorado St. Not sure if they stayed with it a little bit longer because it wasn't a big ten game and they wanted to try it out. My guess is we won't see it as much going forward this season.

I thought they stayed with the 3-4 too long against Colorado St. Not sure if they stayed with it a little bit longer because it wasn't a big ten game and they wanted to try it out. My guess is we won't see it as much going forward this season.

Our 4-3 got gashed in the run game in the second half

My understanding is that the 4-3 defense was the problem as well on Saturday.

...they wanted to try it out.

This is my guess as well. They needed to install it in an actual game so they have film and teaching moments.

It would not surprise me at all to see a lot of it and more creative blitzes this weekend.

TC and JS said before the year they were going to try different things and have some growing pains on D in the Non-Conf. That is exactly what we saw. I fully expect them to dial in on what they do well moving forward.

Maybe the fact that three linebackers were out for injury/suspension has something to do with freshmen playing too....or maybe they're just better....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You're probably right. I didn't pay attention that closely. It seemed to me that we were in the 3-4 more often when giving up big plays.

Great tackle for a burn victim...

Too bad we didn't have Antonio Thompson and KJ Maye available today.

Top Bottom