Thomas Barber RS burned

The only time a Freshman is truly "burned" (stupid term on it's own), is due to unplanned injuries.

If it is planned (special teams, inserted in two deeps, etc.), it is not "burned". It's called coaching.

Enough of this falderal (look it up).

Nah. A redshirt is burned when a true freshman gets on the field for very few snaps, and in their last year, you find yourself wishing that they had another year. I can think of plenty of examples in the recent past - Connor Mayes, Jalen Myrick, Da'Jon McKnight, several others. You think Connor Mayes wishes he could get back 2018 for the dozen snaps he played in 2014? You think Da'Jon McKnight is happy that a year of his eligibility was wasted so he could have 3 catches for 38 yards? There are good arguments to be made for and against it. Don't pretend that there aren't. Coaches make mistakes. If they didn't, we'd never lose a game.

Barber is on the depth chart this week. My guess is he will slowly get more and more playing time.

Claeys chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Claeys said on the radio he spoke with Barber and Barber's family to make sure everyone was on the same page before playing him.

PANIC!

Claeys said on the radio he spoke with Barber and Barber's family to make sure everyone was on the same page before playing him.

PANIC!
I see no issue...probably created a ton of goodwill among FB alum...he is the 4th to play in that family. MBII very connected to other alum.

Nah. A redshirt is burned when a true freshman gets on the field for very few snaps, and in their last year, you find yourself wishing that they had another year. I can think of plenty of examples in the recent past - Connor Mayes, Jalen Myrick, Da'Jon McKnight, several others. You think Connor Mayes wishes he could get back 2018 for the dozen snaps he played in 2014? You think Da'Jon McKnight is happy that a year of his eligibility was wasted so he could have 3 catches for 38 yards? There are good arguments to be made for and against it. Don't pretend that there aren't. Coaches make mistakes. If they didn't, we'd never lose a game.

There are other effects to playing true freshman beyond game impact. Having them ready if needed in case injuries pop up, speeding up their development, motivating players, etc. Viewing it through the lens of "3 catches for 38 yards, Period" misses some stuff.

Barber on two deeps. Claeys must be doing that to cover his mistake...

Barber on two deeps. Claeys must be doing that to cover his mistake...

Really thats the only thing that makes any sense at this point. After recklessly and foolishly burning his redshirt in a move that will no doubt go down in Gopher football history as one of the dumbest decisions ever he really didn't have any choice but to cover his mistake by giving Barber a bigger role on the team.

I mean it isn't like Barber comes from a great football family or anything like that, not sure why anyone would think he could possibly just be good enough to warrant playing as a true freshman. I mean it would be one thing if he had a dad that was a great player and two brothers that were also really good....:cool02:

You wanting them back is different from the individual player or coaching staff wanting it. We don't know how much they still want to play or if they just want to get on with their career or the NFL. You have fears of not knowing what the players behind them can truly do. We just had a bunch of OL retire that could be playing this year. You have to live in the now and make the best decisions with the information.

I think the Barber thing is simple. We have LB's injured and we are playing more, and better, 3-4 defense.

You wanting them back is different from the individual player or coaching staff wanting it. We don't know how much they still want to play or if they just want to get on with their career or the NFL. You have fears of not knowing what the players behind them can truly do. We just had a bunch of OL retire that could be playing this year. You have to live in the now and make the best decisions with the information.

I think the Barber thing is simple. We have LB's injured and we are playing more, and better, 3-4 defense.

I'm not commenting either way on any of the situations. I think the Barber situation is pretty straightforward as well and he's going to be getting increasingly involved right away. All I'm saying is that there are two defensible sides to every redshirt/not redshirt situation. Coaches make mistakes and those mistakes can be questioned. Thinking that every scenario is handled correctly by the coaching staff (and the player) and that they are above reproach is silly and naive.

Somewhat related - on Claeys' radio show Tuesday, he talked about the use of the 3-4 defense. Among his points, he said it's easier to recruit good linebackers than it is to recruit really good d-linemen. That results in having more good linebackers and fewer good d-linemen, which in turn has the coaches using more 3-4 looks on defense. Sounds like they're trying to come up with schemes that match their personnel, and find ways to get the best players on the field.

If the coaches believe that Barber is (or is potentially) one of the best players, they want him on the field.

Somewhat related - on Claeys' radio show Tuesday, he talked about the use of the 3-4 defense. Among his points, he said it's easier to recruit good linebackers than it is to recruit really good d-linemen. That results in having more good linebackers and fewer good d-linemen, which in turn has the coaches using more 3-4 looks on defense. Sounds like they're trying to come up with schemes that match their personnel, and find ways to get the best players on the field.

If the coaches believe that Barber is (or is potentially) one of the best players, they want him on the field.

Also on that show he outright said he spoke with other coaches (who were all asking for Barber), spoke with Barber, and Barber's family about playing him. Hardly a whim that they'd to back on or such.

I thought the D lineman talk was interesting too. They're certainly moving guys around, bringing them in based on what the other guys can do, coaching needs, etc. It's not just a "put that guy in red shirt be damned, ok whatever" kinda situation.

Also on that show he outright said he spoke with other coaches (who were all asking for Barber), spoke with Barber, and Barber's family about playing him. Hardly a whim that they'd to back on or such.

I thought the D lineman talk was interesting too. They're certainly moving guys around, bringing them in based on what the other guys can do, coaching needs, etc. It's not just a "put that guy in red shirt be damned, ok whatever" kinda situation.

I remember the talk of him being the best of the Barber's from a talent standpoint so not surprising that he is seeing playing time already. Unfortunately I think he is the last of this Barber generation as well so going to be a good sized gap until there are more potential Barber's to in Maroon and Gold. Here's hoping Marion Barber II's grandsons want to play at the U as much as their dad and grandpa did.

I'm pretty excited to see what becomes of the defense by season's end. I know it has been a rocky start but they are playing a lot of new schemes and young players.

I wouldn't be surprised if the they are top half of the conference by season's end.

I'm not commenting either way on any of the situations. I think the Barber situation is pretty straightforward as well and he's going to be getting increasingly involved right away. All I'm saying is that there are two defensible sides to every redshirt/not redshirt situation. Coaches make mistakes and those mistakes can be questioned. Thinking that every scenario is handled correctly by the coaching staff (and the player) and that they are above reproach is silly and naive.

Yes, but thinking that any comment here makes any impact, has an influence, or really means jack squat to the coaching staff is almost the definition of insanity.

Yes, but thinking that any comment here makes any impact, has an influence, or really means jack squat to the coaching staff is almost the definition of insanity.

Who said that it does? This is idle entertainment. Nobody thinks they're curing cancer or ending world hunger here. If we can't discuss coaching decisions, shut the board down.

Who said that it does? This is idle entertainment. Nobody thinks they're curing cancer or ending world hunger here. If we can't discuss coaching decisions, shut the board down.

I'm with you on all of this. I'm just laughing at the guys that think their input truly matters and that the coaches read this site. It's like fantasy footballers that get mad at a player for letting their fake team down while leading their real team to victory.

I'm with you on all of this. I'm just laughing at the guys that think their input truly matters and that the coaches read this site. It's like fantasy footballers that get mad at a player for letting their fake team down while leading their real team to victory.

You've said this a number of times now. I don't think one person who posts here thinks a coach is going to read it.

Sadly this sounds like another excuse for poor recruiting. How many other schools have completely changed schemes because they can't recruit a certain position? This is along the lines of the excuse earlier this year that they were only interested in recruits that wanted to be here. Meaning they weren't going to fight for higher rated recruits with interest elsewhere. This is why we're at the bottom of the B1G in recruiting.

Sadly this sounds like another excuse for poor recruiting. How many other schools have completely changed schemes because they can't recruit a certain position? This is along the lines of the excuse earlier this year that they were only interested in recruits that wanted to be here. Meaning they weren't going to fight for higher rated recruits with interest elsewhere. This is why we're at the bottom of the B1G in recruiting.

Wisconsin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your joking right? Good coaches change things all the time to take advantage of their current talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom