Thomas Barber RS burned

die hard gopher

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone post this but Barber played on special teams against CSU. Thats now seven true frosh that have played along with Coughlin, Martin, Johnson, Devers, Winfield and Durr.

I haven't seen anyone post this but Barber played on special teams against CSU. Thats now seven true frosh that have played along with Coughlin, Martin, Johnson, Devers, Winfield and Durr.

It's been on several threads- but I still can't understand it- as GII stated in one of the threads (and I paraphrase) "why burn a shirt from a position that's a relative strength?"

Yep, we have Polk and Waters ahead of him at mike plus we'll get Rallis back from injury hopefully soon and also have Everett Williams. He does not provide a skill set that we don't get with other players unlike some of the other shirts we've burned.

Sounds like Everett Williams is 5th string now.

Don't understand "burned". Burned would imply "for no reason". Please explain for all of us.

Makes no sense. Unless there is a skill set we aren't / haven't seen. Perhaps he reads the screens and crossing patterns better than those now playing. Of course that wouldn't take much.

If you put a true freshman in the lineup, it's usually because they're good enough to deserve to play.

The only reason to assume this isn't the case with our young linebackers is pessimism.

As far as Tyler Johnson and Taiyon Devers are concerned, I think their results speak for themselves.

Claeys has addressed his stance on this. If he thinks a player can help the team, they are going to play. Injuries happen. Claeys would prefer not to have to throw a player out for his first game action late in the season.

If you put a true freshman in the lineup, it's usually because they're good enough to deserve to play.

The only reason to assume this isn't the case with our young linebackers is pessimism.

As far as Tyler Johnson and Taiyon Devers are concerned, I think their results speak for themselves.

100% This.

Claeys has addressed his stance on this. If he thinks a player can help the team, they are going to play. Injuries happen. Claeys would prefer not to have to throw a player out for his first game action late in the season.

The best players need to play. We won the game this weekend by a touchdown, it literally could have been a different outcome if 1 play was different.

If Barber doesn't play anymore this season, yeah, it was likely a bit of a waste. If he continues to play special teams or anything else, it makes 100% sense to me.

Bob_Loblaw;1251186[B said:
The best players need to play.[/B] We won the game this weekend by a touchdown, it literally could have been a different outcome if 1 play was different.

If Barber doesn't play anymore this season, yeah, it was likely a bit of a waste. If he continues to play special teams or anything else, it makes 100% sense to me.

Barber is not one of the best players though, not yet at least.

If he can play, play'm.

People act like we're sitting on a gold mine of players that all need to be protected or something.

Claeys is thinking short term at this stage. He needs to have a good season as this is basically a working interview with a new AD in charge.

I don't understand why people get so up in arms over this. The only people that are capable of making day-to-day and in-game roster decisions are Gopher Hole posters. It's certainly not the coaching staff. Stop beating a dead horse!

I don't understand why people get so up in arms over this. The only people that are capable of making day-to-day and in-game roster decisions are Gopher Hole posters. It's certainly not the coaching staff. Stop beating a dead horse!

It's certainly a question worth asking. The staff has wasted redshirt seasons before for incredibly little short-term gain (cough Connor Mayes cough), and the overwhelming majority of players are better in their fifth season than in their first (which is the trade being made). Having said that, this staff in its various iterations has shown that they love to get a guy special teams experience if he's going to be counted on to play the following year. I don't agree with it and think it's silly, but that's their MO and they're the only ones whose opinions on the topic carry any significance. They obviously are planning for and counting on Barber to be in the two-deeps next year, if not starting.

Claeys is thinking short term at this stage. He needs to have a good season as this is basically a working interview with a new AD in charge.

When it comes down to any coach that is coaching a team that will win more than 2 games, they should all be thinking short term. Wins matter the most. They always matter the most.

You guys are acting like the staff has never screwed up a redshirt before. Demry, Mayes, Gary Moore as a true freshman and it was easy to see it was for little reason at the time. Those guys were most certainly not upgrades over anyone we were playing before and it seems extremely unlikely that it isn't the case for Barber. It feels as if they played him for the sake of playing him.

To me, burning redshirts shows a lack of discipline and self control especially if that player hardly plays. It's like dipping into your longterm savings account to buy something you don't need or like spending every cent of your paycheck every week when you know you should be saving up for a new car or house.

You guys are acting like the staff has never screwed up a redshirt before. Demry, Mayes, Gary Moore as a true freshman and it was easy to see it was for little reason at the time. Those guys were most certainly not upgrades over anyone we were playing before and it seems extremely unlikely that it isn't the case for Barber. It feels as if they played him for the sake of playing him.

To me, burning redshirts shows a lack of discipline and self control especially if that player hardly plays. It's like dipping into your longterm savings account to buy something you don't need or like spending every cent of your paycheck every week when you know you should be saving up for a new car or house.

If they redshirt those guys they would have been better or something? Otherwise your stance seems to be to red shirt just because ....that seems pretty pointless.

Is it possible we needed him on special teams due to the 4 suspensions?

If they redshirt those guys they would have been better or something? Otherwise your stance seems to be to red shirt just because ....that seems pretty pointless.

Umm, yes. A player that plays in his second through fifth year is usually or almost always going to be better or at least more physically mature than the same player who plays in his first through fourth year.

I'd much rather have a team of predominately 3rd, 4th and 5th years guys than second, third and 4th year guys, especially considering the fact that were a program that will most likely never recruit at an elite level. IMO, thats an advantage that we need to have if we want to beat teams like Ohio State that have superior talent.

Umm, yes. A player that plays in his second through fifth year is usually or almost always going to be better or at least more physically mature than the same player who plays in his first through fourth year.

I'd much rather have a team of predominately 3rd, 4th and 5th years guys than second, third and 4th year guys.

So red shirt everyone? Or just the guys you want them to?

Seems to me you should redshirt a guy unless they'll be an impact player as a true freshman OR if you just plain need bodies at that position (or both).
Otherwise redshirt. But I'm not a coach so what do I know.

I won't speak for him, but guys who aren't on the two deeps should be redshirted in my opinion. They shouldn't be playing on special teams. We have probably 25-30 guys on the team who can run down the field on kickoff coverage.

I won't speak for him, but guys who aren't on the two deeps should be redshirted in my opinion. They shouldn't be playing on special teams. We have probably 25-30 guys on the team who can run down the field on kickoff coverage.

This. I find it hard to believe that LB's like Everrett Williams or Blake Webber couldn't do what Barber did last game. The minuscule benefit of trotting out Barber instead of those guys on special teams is nothing close to the benefit we would get of having him as a 5th year player.

This. I find it hard to believe that LB's like Everrett Williams or Blake Webber couldn't do what Barber did last game. The minuscule benefit of trotting out Barber instead of those guys on special teams is nothing close to the benefit we would get of having him as a 5th year player.

How many practices have you been to in the last month?

Barber is not one of the best players though, not yet at least.

According to who? Neither you, nor me, know if he's one of the best special teams players or not. I get what you're saying though, on the surface, it seems like a bad red-shirt to burn. That said, I trust the coaches have a plan and there was a good reason they played him. I don't believe they threw him in there because they're so stupid they didn't realize they could play someone better instead, or that they were unaware of his red shirt status, do you?

Top Bottom