Regardless of defensive front, Gophers want better results in the end

MNGoldenGophers1

Go4 Homer
Reaction score
"Claeys, however, did not hide his disdain for Jalen Myrick’s 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that propelled a Colorado State drive in the fourth quarter. The Rams would score two plays later to cut Minnesota’s lead to 31-24 with six minutes left in the game.

“He’s wrong. Period,” Claeys said. “He will either stop it or he won’t play. I don’t believe in that. You’ve got to control your emotions to be able to play in this game. If you don’t, you are being selfish, and we don’t have any room for selfish players.”"

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/2...front-gophers-want-better-results-in-the-end/

This is one reason why I like Claeys and believe a big reason why he may end up being a successful head coach.

Go Gophers!

What did Myrick actually do?

I understood the ref to say that he head slapped an opposing player after the play was whistled dead. I did not see it and apparently occurred after the play where we apparently challenged it. I could not understand the challenge? It was confusing all around. Perhaps someone watching on TV or more in tune at the game can explain.

What did Myrick actually do?

I was wondering this too. I believe the referee flagged him for a personal foul after the play for hitting another player on the head.
Earlier in the game when a flag was thrown and later picked up against Myrick, he had a hard time settling down. This team really needs him healthy and composed.

I was wondering this too. I believe the referee flagged him for a personal foul after the play for hitting another player on the head.
Earlier in the game when a flag was thrown and later picked up against Myrick, he had a hard time settling down. This team really needs him healthy and composed.

I saw that one. Not good behavior from a senior.

I understood the ref to say that he head slapped an opposing player after the play was whistled dead. I did not see it and apparently occurred after the play where we apparently challenged it. I could not understand the challenge? It was confusing all around. Perhaps someone watching on TV or more in tune at the game can explain.

There was no challenge. It was a booth review of a potential targeting foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was no challenge. It was a booth review of a potential targeting foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can they review a targeting call that never occurred? I was at the game and forgot to record it in case the announcers knew what was going on.

I believe the targeting call in question happened on the opposite side of Myrick. No question that Myrick was getting a 15 yard penalty for his actions.

How can they review a targeting call that never occurred? I was at the game and forgot to record it in case the announcers knew what was going on.

Any play can be reviewed by the booth for targeting if the booth thinks it should have been called. That said, you didn't miss anything by not recording it. The announcers didn't understand what was happening, and added nothing of value -- throughout the entire game.

The ref threw a flag for targeting on the tackle (had nothing to do with Myrick). I think they discussed it, then decided it wasn't targeting, but the replay booth wanted to review it anyways.

The ref threw a flag for targeting on the tackle (had nothing to do with Myrick). I think they discussed it, then decided it wasn't targeting, but the replay booth wanted to review it anyways.

I was at the game, perhaps you were too. My understanding was Myrick did something away from the ball. The Shenault tackle (the play initially flagged) was reviewed and was not ruled targeting as it was evident there was no malice on the part of Shenault. My understanding was that Myrick did something away from the ball that warranted this penalty.

On another note, Myrick was out of control in other instances. He was going absolutely mental when they called pass interference on him that was eventually overturned. In my opinion, although a horrible call in the first place, he should have been penalized for his tantrum...

You have to be somewhat concerned that Myrick's antics and the current off the field issue are an indication that Claeys doesn't have nearly as much control of the team as Kill did?

Hopefully, we don't have another Donovahn Jones disctraction on the team. Claeys will have to put his own stamp on team discipline.

Top Bottom