Fake kicks

book

Reaction score
Are we the most vulnerable team to fake kicks and other trick plays? It was not even close last Saturday to defend. That would have been the game and we should have been wary of it.

I don't think so, but I always thought that the blocker in the middle should quickly signal the punter to run if the defense is retreating back to cover the punt. What appears to be a good decision may not always be, but when watching games, it seems like there are many times when a punter should run.

Should have been in a safe punt situation there. Just keep the defense on the field and have returner plan on just calling a fair catch.

Should have been in a safe punt situation there. Just keep the defense on the field and have returner plan on just calling a fair catch.

Exactly! At the very least keep 2 extra guys in the box to defend. That was a HUGE coaching mistake. Coaches obviously didn't even have the wherewithal to let the players know to expect the fake, all of us fans knew though. I just couldn't believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this is selective memory, but I was asking my wife yesterday if she could remember the last time we successfully defended a fake field goal or punt. It seems like we always get beat by those.

I'm not too sure about the rule but the fake actually looked illegal to me. It looked like the center, #58, was an ineligible receiver downfield. Can anybody correct me on that? Was this considered a screen pass?

I'm not too sure about the rule but the fake actually looked illegal to me. It looked like the center, #58, was an ineligible receiver downfield. Can anybody correct me on that? Was this considered a screen pass?

That's what we thought at the game too, they had multiple "linemen" well down field before the pass.

As far as the fake goes, maybe we got it out of our system and now we will defend any attempts the rest of the season. Gotta think with our defensive minded coach that fake rubbed him the wrong way.

That's what we thought at the game too, they had multiple "linemen" well down field before the pass.

As far as the fake goes, maybe we got it out of our system and now we will defend any attempts the rest of the season. Gotta think with our defensive minded coach that fake rubbed him the wrong way.

You guys are correct - linemen way down field - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24piKGJa-28

Watching it again, it looks illegal to me too.

"I SAID FAKE!"

The receiver did catch the ball right around the line of scrimmage - maybe the refs viewed it as a screen pass.

Maybe this is selective memory, but I was asking my wife yesterday if she could remember the last time we successfully defended a fake field goal or punt. It seems like we always get beat by those.

The last one I remember was vs. Wisconsin in 2013. They also ran a really stupid fake though; seemed poorly designed. I think Andersen even said it was a poor call. Hageman ate it up.

I agree & everyone needed to be more aware of the situation. There was like 9 minutes left; they needed 2 TD's just to tie the game. To me, there's no reason to have to do anything other than make sure you are getting the ball back. If that means having nobody back, so be it.

It just seemed really easy for CSU.

Watching it again, it looks illegal to me too.

"I SAID FAKE!"

Looked online and based on what I could find the intelligible downfield is only in play if the pass is across the line of scrimmage. The angle isn't great but it looks like the receiver catches the ball at or just slightly behind the line of scrimmage which would mean the lineman could be downfield. Really well designed fake by CSU and agree with everyone that regardless of the field position we should have been on high alert for a fake in that situation given their need to score and the time left on the clock. Thankfully the miscue didn't factor into the final outcome.

Looked online and based on what I could find the intelligible downfield is only in play if the pass is across the line of scrimmage. The angle isn't great but it looks like the receiver catches the ball at or just slightly behind the line of scrimmage which would mean the lineman could be downfield. Really well designed fake by CSU and agree with everyone that regardless of the field position we should have been on high alert for a fake in that situation given their need to score and the time left on the clock. Thankfully the miscue didn't factor into the final outcome.

Thanks for posted that. Most of the Gophers were peeling back to set-up the return. Two guys were "blocking the blockers" and only one guy went to the get the punter. Made the field wide open for the pass.

Top Bottom