All Things 2016 Coaching Firing/Hiring Thread

The way Texas is handling this is a red flag to any coach be careful what you ask for. Unless you kiss the rings of the boosters, you are doomed.

The way Texas is handling this is a red flag to any coach be careful what you ask for. Unless you kiss the rings of the boosters, you are doomed.

Possibly.

BUT. Strong has a $10 million buyout. He also gets to recruit in Texas. He also will be able to get another P5 job pretty quickly.

It's a dream job.

Tweets that LSU is zeroed in on Tom Herman and Texas is doing damage control. Also interesting fun fact that Tom Herman and Dave Aranda were college roommates.

LSU has zeroed in on Houston's Tom Herman as its next head coach and could have a deal in place as early as Saturday, sources told ESPN.com's Chris Low on Thursday night. Florida State's Jimbo Fisher was also near the top of LSU's wish list, but Fisher opted to stay put before talks with LSU ever got too far down the road. He's told some close to him that he thinks he could have some of his most talented teams at FSU over the next two years.

Mark Schlabach, ESPN Senior Writer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumors that if Texas A&M loses to LSU (they're currently down 14) resulting in another late SEC November collapse that Sumlin could be fired. Wonder if Coyle has had any conversations with him to date? He could make for an interesting hire here if the Gophers collapse in these final 2 games and decide to move on from Claeys.

Wonder where Miles coaches next? Auburn? Purdue?

There is no way Purdue. Northern school and arguably the worst job in the B1G (OK, next to Indiana. Same state, tho). Miles ain't sliding into retirement in the snow.

Rumors that if Texas A&M loses to LSU (they're currently down 14) resulting in another late SEC November collapse that Sumlin could be fired. Wonder if Coyle has had any conversations with him to date? He could make for an interesting hire here if the Gophers collapse in these final 2 games and decide to move on from Claeys.

Hahahahahaha. Man, that's funny.

I'd still be very interested in Ed Orgeron.

Once again, the decision has to be made by tomorrow. Coyle is too savvy to fire Claeys after the bowl game.

Once again, the decision has to be made by tomorrow. Coyle is too savvy to fire Claeys after the bowl game.

It would be tomorrow, but I still can't see it. Firing coach after 8 win regular seasons just isn't something we do.

It would be tomorrow, but I still can't see it. Firing coach after 8 win regular seasons just isn't something we do.

Why even take a step back like that?

Sumlin is 15-17 in the SEC the past 4 years. I'd rather have Claeys.

Maybe we should just pony up and pay Tom Herman a cajillion dollars to finish in the middle of the big ten.

Why even take a step back like that?

Sumlin is 15-17 in the SEC the past 4 years. I'd rather have Claeys.

I'll also say, if there is a firing, it's because there's more behind the curtain than we know about. But I expect Claeys to be around another year or two...

I'll also say, if there is a firing, it's because there's more behind the curtain than we know about. But I expect Claeys to be around another year or two...

Must be a big curtain.

LSU, TX, Houston,Baylor, Cal, North Carolina, Western MI, etc Coaching Rumors

LSU is reportedly already pursuing Houston’s Tom Herman. (Getty)
LSU played its final regular-season football game Thursday night. Houston and North Carolina play theirs at noon ET Friday. Texas has its finale at 3:30 ET.

As these games finish, more schools will start to lay their cards on the table in a high-stakes game of coaching poker.

Thanksgiving night certainly upped the ante. There were various media reports that Houston coach Tom Herman had become the primary target at LSU, which may have moved on from Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher. However, sources have told Yahoo Sports that Texas remains a strong option for Herman – if indeed the administration fires current coach Charlie Strong, who was left twisting all week amid reports that the school already had decided to dismiss him.

A potential bidding war between two power programs over Herman would affect the rest of the coaching landscape throughout college football...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/b...arches-across-college-football-162338932.html

Firing a basketball coach after winning a NCAA tournament game, one who also previously won a national championship, isn't something Minnesota would do either. Until it happened.

Firing a basketball coach after winning a NCAA tournament game, one who also previously won a national championship, isn't something Minnesota would do either. Until it happened.

They fired him right after that game? Wow.

Anyone calling for Claeys job is an absolute moron. Anyone thinking that Sumlin or Kiffin is right for the Minnesota job, also a moron.

I think even discussing firing Claeys is absurd, but the extension/firing decision has to be made before the weekend's out. The mistake of firing him would be compounded by waiting to do so until after the bowl game. Any coach worth hiring is off the market by the first week of December.

If Herman is Texas coach he will do what Harbaugh has done at Michigan. Strong has really laid a great foundation with last three recruiting classes.

Where does PJ Fleck end up? If I was him I wouldn't go to Purdue, I'd turn them down. I think whoever gets him will be getting a hell of a coach. If he wanted to come here I'd pull the trigger if Claeys doesn't beat Wisconsin tomorrow. Doubt that would happen though. If I was Oregon I'd have already been in contact with him. I think people should be looking at Matt Rhule as well, what he's done at Temple is extremely impressive.

Where does PJ Fleck end up? If I was him I wouldn't go to Purdue, I'd turn them down. I think whoever gets him will be getting a hell of a coach. If he wanted to come here I'd pull the trigger if Claeys doesn't beat Wisconsin tomorrow. Doubt that would happen though. If I was Oregon I'd have already been in contact with him. I think people should be looking at Matt Rhule as well, what he's done at Temple is extremely impressive.

I think Fleck would pick MN over Purdue, but I don't think we're in the market for a coach this year.

I'd still be very interested in Ed Orgeron.

I would be unless he is the kind of guy who says we should win 10 games and then he has only won 8 with two to play.

Maybe Houston can scoop up Fleck once Herman leaves. Or North Carolina if Larry Fedora departs for a better job.

ESPN: LSU hires Ed Orgeron as new football coach

After flirting with other options, the LSU Tigers have hired the same guy who has held the head coaching position for the last two months.

Sources confirmed to ESPN that LSU will promote interim coach Ed Orgeron to a full-time role after he went 5-2 as longtime coach Les Miles' replacement.

The school has scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. ET. Orgeron's hiring was first reported by Football Scoop and The Advocate.

It had been a dramatic 48 hours as rumors swirled about LSU administrators targeting Florida State's Jimbo Fisher and Houston's Tom Herman over Orgeron. LSU finally went with Orgeron, who earned widespread support from the team and a wide swath of the fan base in his time as interim coach.

A source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that LSU decided to go with Orgeron because it "wasn't going to be held hostage [while Herman negotiated with others]. ... In the end, they chose the guy who wanted the job and not the guy who wanted the money."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...lsu-tigers-hire-ed-orgeron-new-football-coach

Go Gophers!!

Wow, I'm guessing that means Strong will be fired today and Herman will end up at Texas.

Golf clap to LSU for choosing quickly and not being used as a pawn.

Orgeron a much better fit than Herman. Lots of baggage...but he's probably learned a few things over the years. Superb recruiter.

Top Bottom