All Things 2016 Coaching Firing/Hiring Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Crazy how early this is starting. In addition to LSU firing Les Miles as noted in the other thread, former Illinois HC Ron Turner was fired by FIU.

Per CBS:

The 2016 coaching carousel has officially been fired up -- so to speak.

FIU coach Ron Turner has reportedly been relieved of his duties, according to Dan Wolken of USA Today. Football Scoop later confirmed the report.

Brett McMurphy of ESPN reports that defensive coordinator Ron Cooper will serve as the team's interim coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...d-by-fiu-kicking-off-2016s-coaching-carousel/

Go Gophers!!

South Carolina? You know who should hire him is Baylor. Miles is a stand up guy and would bring some ethical stability to the campus.

Les is about as divergent from Art Briles in offensive philosophy as one can get. The big programs probably won't want him. He could definitely find himself at a tier 2 school though.

Les is about as divergent from Art Briles in offensive philosophy as one can get. The big programs probably won't want him. He could definitely find himself at a tier 2 school though.

I think he's divergent in more than just offense. Which is why I think he's be a good choice. But if I were him, I'd avoid Baylor...

I think he's divergent in more than just offense. Which is why I think he's be a good choice. But if I were him, I'd avoid Baylor...

I don't know, wasn't he at Okie State when the whole Sports Illustrated expose story went down? It's unknowable how much of that stuff was true but as usual most people are neither as good or as bad as their public image (and some are!).

You have to think that Mark Helfrich and Charlie Strong are now on the hot seat. That would mean an opening at LSU and potential openings at Texas and Oregon, those are some big schools that are willing to throw around lots of money, things could get interesting on the coaching carousel. I'm not convinced that Clay Helton is safe at USC either.

CBS: Fresno State fires coach Tim DeRuyter after another poor start

Athletic director Jim Bartko announced the decision, which was previously reported by CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, during a press conference on Sunday afternoon.

Early indications are that Washington consultant and former Cal coach Jeff Tedford is the leading candidate to replace DeRuyter, according to Dodd, but offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau has been named the team's interim coach.

The decision to fire DeRuyter comes a day after Fresno State fell 38-20 to Utah State, dropping its record to 1-7. The Bulldogs went 3-9 in 2015.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/reports-fresno-state-to-fire-coach-tim-deruyter/

Go Gophers!!

Late to the game, but figured we'd at least get it in this thread, but obviously Purdue fired their coach as well.

Go Gophers!!

Report: Fresno State to hire veteran Jeff Tedford as coach

Jeff Tedford is returning to Fresno State.

According to a report from the Fresno Bee, Tedford has been hired as the new coach at Fresno State, and a press conference to announce the hire will take place Friday. The news doesn't come as much of a surprise as Tedford has been connected to the Fresno State job ever since the Bulldogs fired Tim DeRuyter earlier this season.

Tedford last served as a head coach on the college level at California, where he spent 11 seasons, going 82-57 with a Pac-10 title in 2006. Since then, Tedford has spent a season as the offensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was the head coach of the British Columbia Lions in the CFL and had been serving as an offensive consultant with the Washington Huskies this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-state-to-hire-veteran-jeff-tedford-as-coach/

Go Gophers!!

I doubt either USC Auburn are making changes this year. Both have chances to win thier divisions

Butch Davis hired by Florida International

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you brought him in to run the defense but kept a Briles school of offense guy on as OC...might be a really good fit

CBS: A candidate on Baylor's short list, Les Miles is focused on a Power Five job

Les Miles is officially a candidate at Baylor.
While the name of the former LSU coach has been attached to the opening in the past, multiple sources have indicated to CBS Sports that Miles is indeed in the mix.
Miles himself told CBS Sports he is willing to listen about any Power Five job.
"I'm making myself available to search firms," Miles said. "I'm communicating the best I can."
Baylor is using high-profile search firm Eastman & Beaudine to at least help identify its next coach. Acting coach Jim Grobe is 6-3 this season after taking over for the fired Art Briles.
"I am not out of [coaching]," Miles stressed, "so you know."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ist-les-miles-is-focused-on-a-power-five-job/

Go Gophers!!

Report: Fresno State to hire veteran Jeff Tedford as coach

Jeff Tedford is returning to Fresno State.

According to a report from the Fresno Bee, Tedford has been hired as the new coach at Fresno State, and a press conference to announce the hire will take place Friday. The news doesn't come as much of a surprise as Tedford has been connected to the Fresno State job ever since the Bulldogs fired Tim DeRuyter earlier this season.

Tedford last served as a head coach on the college level at California, where he spent 11 seasons, going 82-57 with a Pac-10 title in 2006. Since then, Tedford has spent a season as the offensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was the head coach of the British Columbia Lions in the CFL and had been serving as an offensive consultant with the Washington Huskies this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-state-to-hire-veteran-jeff-tedford-as-coach/

Go Gophers!!

That's a really good pickup for Fresno. Jeff was a player but he has some good stuff on his resume too ..... unless there are some skeletons I don't know of I would have thought he would have gotten another HC job before now.

That's a really good pickup for Fresno. Jeff was a player but he has some good stuff on his resume too ..... unless there are some skeletons I don't know of I would have thought he would have gotten another HC job before now.

There is a chance he wanted a break and didn't want a low level p5 job

He just landed one of the top 5-10 non power 5 jobs in the country in an area of the country he loves.

Why would Les Miles not go to Baylor? Even lower admission requirements than LSU, 1000's of 3/4/5 star football players within 200 miles. What's not to like? Everyone is aware of the Briles ghost and lack of institutional control. The NCAA seems satisfied. Miles would be a great coach for that type of environment.

Man, what is with Arkansas St. and their AD. They just keep hiring very good coaches. Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, Bryan Harsin. Wonder what will happen to this Blake Anderson guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purdue Wants: P.J. Fleck?

Or Greg Olson, or Les Miles or Greg Schiano...

"A new report from Sporting News says that former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Greg Olson has interviewed for the head coaching vacancy. He was fired by the Jaguars earlier this season after the team got off to a lackluster 2-5 start.

Olson has a coaching history with the football program. He was the quarterbacks coach from 1997 to 2000 and was the tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator in 2002.

Besides the Jaguars, Olson has NFL experience coaching for the Lions, Rams, Buccaneers and Raiders, all as offensive coordinator.

A popular name thus far through the process has been P.J. Fleck, head coach at Western Michigan University. When commenting on these rumors, Fleck has avoided directly removing himself from the talks and seems relatively open to making the move. He makes sure to point out his focus on the current Western Michigan season and trying to avoid the distractions of a coaching search.

Former Purdue defensive coordinator and current head coach at Illinois State University, Brock Spack, ruled out most possibility of a return to the program and didn’t seem enticed at all by the offer.

Les Miles, former head coach at LSU, is a fantasy pick for many sports fans who has been floated strongly as a potential candidate for the job. He hasn’t commented publicly on the rumors, but it has been reported that he is in the process of building a personal staff in order to get a coaching job for next season.

Another potential candidate for coach is current Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano. The Buckeyes are currently No. 2 in the College Football Playoff poll. Schiano was the head coach at Rutgers from 2001 to 2011 and led them to a 68-67 record during his tenure."

http://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/mens/football/article_25327276-31bd-54c8-a026-8988be40a318.html

Man! Would I have love to have seen Mike Leach vs the Twin Cities media. That would have been one of the most entertaining times imaginable.

"Reacting to Houston's upset win over No. 5 Louisville on Thursday night and afraid Cougars coach Tom Herman may get snatched up by another school, prominent Texas boosters are reportedly putting "extreme pressure" on school administration to fire Charlie Strong and replace him with Herman, according to ESPN's Brett McMurphy."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...texas-to-fire-charlie-strong-hire-tom-herman/

To no-one's surprise. Per ESPN:

The University of Texas has decided to fire Charlie Strong as football coach, according to ESPN's Brett McMurphy and multiple reports.

Strong is 16-20 in three seasons at Texas and 12-14 in Big 12 play. If he coaches his final game at Texas as expected Friday against TCU, a source told McMurphy, Strong will clinch either a bowl bid or his third seven-loss season.

Strong has a regularly scheduled meeting with the team Sunday night and a regularly scheduled news conference Monday.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ns-decides-fire-charlie-strong-football-coach

Go Gophers!!

To no-one's surprise. Per ESPN:

The University of Texas has decided to fire Charlie Strong as football coach, according to ESPN's Brett McMurphy and multiple reports.

Strong is 16-20 in three seasons at Texas and 12-14 in Big 12 play. If he coaches his final game at Texas as expected Friday against TCU, a source told McMurphy, Strong will clinch either a bowl bid or his third seven-loss season.

Strong has a regularly scheduled meeting with the team Sunday night and a regularly scheduled news conference Monday.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ns-decides-fire-charlie-strong-football-coach

Go Gophers!!

Come again?

i live near Austin and the sports radio has been asking for Charlie to be fired since the loss at Cal. I'm sure Monday will be interesting. They better have a good hire because their fan base is fired up and a bad hire will be disastrous.

Everyone here is saying tom Herman has already said he would take the Texas job. That's the rumour.

i live near Austin and the sports radio has been asking for Charlie to be fired since the loss at Cal. I'm sure Monday will be interesting. They better have a good hire because their fan base is fired up and a bad hire will be disastrous.

Everyone here is saying tom Herman has already said he would take the Texas job. That's the rumour.

I heard Tom Herman interviewed on Dan Patrick's show last week and I totally got the impression he would leave UH. FWIW, DP and the others got the same impression.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He must be beating out the long list of P5 Coaches looking for jobs. Surprised they aren't waiting to see if Claeys wins on Saturday.

He must be beating out the long list of P5 Coaches looking for jobs. Surprised they aren't waiting to see if Claeys wins on Saturday.

More surprising is that some people think he'd want to come here!

Top Bottom