Do you trust the offense more than the D right now?

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
Is it just me or is our Offense more reliable than our D right now?

Leidner is playing competently, and even though the running game struggled in the first half yesterday, it just seems like the Gophers finally have decent skill players and a QB that can at least get it to them to make plays.

Rodney Smith
Brooks
Wolitarsky
Wozniak
Tyler Jones
Bryan Smith
Eric Carter
McCrary

On the other side of the ball,

Damarius Travis, Myrick, and I guess Richardson are the only guys who seem to make consistent, positive plays

I think our front 7 was vastly overrated coming into the year. Our LBs are not impressing me, especially Cody Poock.

Not a lot of talent in our linebackers, which was me concerned when we get to Big10 play.

Is it just me or is our Offense more reliable than our D right now?

Leidner is playing competently, and even though the running game struggled in the first half yesterday, it just seems like the Gophers finally have decent skill players and a QB that can at least get it to them to make plays.

Rodney Smith
Brooks
Wolitarsky
Wozniak
Tyler Jones
Bryan Smith
Eric Carter
McCrary

On the other side of the ball,

Damarius Travis, Myrick, and I guess Richardson are the only guys who seem to make consistent, positive plays

I think our front 7 was vastly overrated coming into the year. Our LBs are not impressing me, especially Cody Poock.

Not a lot of talent in our linebackers, which was me concerned when we get to Big10 play.

Our defense is the biggest question mark.

We disagree on some of the reasons why the defense has been struggling. I think our front 7 has been OK. I like our LBers and I think our Dline is quite a bit better, so far, from last year. Our biggest problem is our secondary. They are REALLY struggling. I think Myrick has struggled, Zo Craighton has really struggled, Ayinde has really struggled. Travis has been good, but everyone else has been sort of picked apart.

Yes. Once the Offense completes a pass or two, those 6-8 man fronts disappear and holes start opening for 3 damn good backs and a good running QB. The Defense seems to still over pursue a little, (giving up yards on screens and leaving coverages) and as the game wears on, they tend to have a little trouble getting to the QB.

Could be because the Receivers are being covered. Have to believe that bodes well for the D.

I had to clench every time our defense got on the field.

So yes, I trust the offense way more than defense right now.

UofM#92 has the most fun video highlights of any defensive Gopher in a long time. http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17626164

ESPN even likes him... We have 3 DB's suspended. We need to be more consistent but there are flashes that say we could be good defensively. Offense is clearly better so far but we need some holes to run through too or our backs are just really good on their own.
Question:
How much have they been holding back offensively for Penn State? Defensively? Tracy seems big on what he sees on film of opponents....so I'm sure we are holding some back. For instance, throwing down field. But we need some time to throw downfield too. We'll see.

The numbers (from BigTen.org) tell the tale of where we are and what we need to fix.

Scoring Offense: 4
Scoring Defense: 10
Total Offense: 7
Total Defense: 5
Rushing Offense: 5
Rushing Defense: 4
Passing Offense: 11
Passing Defense: 13
Passing Efficiency: 6
Pass Defense Efficiency: 13
INT: 14
Punting: 5
Kick Coverage: 4
FG: T, 1
PAT, T, 1
Sacks By: 4
Sacks Against: 1
First Downs: 3
Opponent First Downs: 11
Third down conversions: 2
Opp Third Down Converstions: 13
4th Down Converstions: 1
Opp 4th Down : 8
Penalties: 13
Opp Penalties: 12
TOP: 6 (31:24)
Turnover Margin: 6
RedZone Offense: 1
Red Zone Defense: 13

Our defense is the biggest question mark.

We disagree on some of the reasons why the defense has been struggling. I think our front 7 has been OK. I like our LBers and I think our Dline is quite a bit better, so far, from last year. Our biggest problem is our secondary. They are REALLY struggling. I think Myrick has struggled, Zo Craighton has really struggled, Ayinde has really struggled. Travis has been good, but everyone else has been sort of picked apart.

I agree. It seems that teams so far have gotten into Myricks head. He talks to much. If/when we got our suspended players back it will be a big boost. I think our LBs could take better angles at times. Sometimes Poock tries to go underneath and gets burned BAD. I'm optimistic going into big 10 play.

CP12 is nothing special. Don't expect too much from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn't be much of a surprise. This is the way it was the last 6 games of B1G schedule last year. Or pretty much since Claeys took over.

Thanks CaliGopher for the interesting stats.

I like that Jay Johnson is making sure Mitch is throwing to multiple players utilizing the breath of talent that they have at their disposal. The o-line looks better every game.

When will we get the four suspended players back to shore up our defensive secondary? They need for the defense to improve fast. Forget about a weak schedule. It seems like anyone of the teams the Gophers face are all dangerous. Anyone can pull an upset including the Gophers.

We flip-flopped over last year offense vs defense.

Myrick has been good. Poock may have missed a few tackles but I do consider him and Lynn above average Big Ten starting LBs.

Shenault played better today but IMO he and Ayinde are the two biggest weaknesses of the D.

Defense is getting dinged by big plays. CSU had over 10 plays of 15 plus yards.

3.3 yards per carry is great. It's even better if not for breakdown on 4-5 running plays.

Jay Johnson's been a great hire.

It is hard for me to grade our defense as I have no experience with the type of scheme they use. I am an old school, gap control, zone defense guy. This doesn't mean conservative. This is very different than the disruption scheme with lots of man they run. The defense is a lot more feast or famine IMO because of the scheme.

Started 2 true freshmen at linebacker today. I would expect some problems. What I was disappointed with was the secondary. Not sure Shenault is ready for the Big Ten. Hopefully we get the 4 ineligible players back this week.

We need Hardin and Buford back. Jack Lynn and Poock are solid, and Celestin is good. 24 days since the incident and they still can't figure out to charge them or not? Seems ridiculous.

We need Hardin and Buford back. Jack Lynn and Poock are solid, and Celestin is good. 24 days since the incident and they still can't figure out to charge them or not? Seems ridiculous.

If this was the SEC they never would've been suspended until charged. ( If they ever do get charged.) That's a big difference between BIG 10 and SEC.

Started 2 true freshmen at linebacker today. I would expect some problems. What I was disappointed with was the secondary. Not sure Shenault is ready for the Big Ten. Hopefully we get the 4 ineligible players back this week.

And ran a new scheme most of the game. I wonder if they plan on running the 3-4 most of the year or if this was the game to test it out?

Honestly I think on defense they have been trying some new things just to see how they work and they definitely have been playing a lot of young players so hopefully that experience just helps them improve. Have you guys noticed the personnel groups we have had out there? A lot of the time they have been playing a 3-4 and on 3rd downs they were playing a 2-4 or 2-5 sometimes. Its been interesting to watch. I don't know how much of that they will do (besides on 3rd and very long) during B1G play but I have to believe they have been experimenting and that has hurt our defense a little.

At least our dline looks better this year than last.

My biggest concern is that so far this year, teams running seem to be able to pick their hole... and often they get through the hole untouched with room to run. Distantly reminded me of the days when anyone could run around either end of the line on us :(

My biggest concern is that so far this year, teams running seem to be able to pick their hole... and often they get through the hole untouched with room to run. Distantly reminded me of the days when anyone could run around either end of the line on us :(

It seems to be feast or famine. We either completely stuff their run or they are in the open for 8-12 yards. And again I think a lot of that has to do with the experimenting

The numbers (from BigTen.org) tell the tale of where we are and what we need to fix.

PAT, T, 1

In order by ranking and color coded by "team or special teams", "offense" and "defense." Pretty striking.

Offensive and Defensive B1G Rankings

Team and Special Teams
PAT, T, 1

The MN rankings are meaningless until conference play.
NE has played OR and NWA, MSST has played ND and WI, WI has played LSU and MSST etc and MN has played no team equal to those schedules.
At the end of the game in Happy Valley the future of MN and PAST will be a little more clear.

NE has played OR and NWA, MSST has played ND and WI, WI has played LSU and MSST etc and MN has played no team equal to those schedules.
At the end of the game in Happy Valley the future of MN and PAST will be a little more clear.

I wouldn't say they are meaningless. They are somewhat telling. Not having played the likes of Notre Dame, Oregon, LSU and Oklahoma State would be an argument for our defensive stats to look a tad more favorable at this point, no?

The fact that we have played weaker teams and still have relatively weak defensive stats has me and others a bit concerned.

Mississippi St is in the B1G?

It seems to be feast or famine. We either completely stuff their run or they are in the open for 8-12 yards. And again I think a lot of that has to do with the experimenting

Yeah we either get them and it's 2nd and 14... or they get a 1st down.

I'm not an Xs and Os guy. But I watched Claeys's Facebook thing last night and Derek Burns has a great chain of tweets looking at a few plays from the game. Based on what those guys said, it sounds like our defensive line really did a great job penetrating and disrupting the running game. The bigger plays came when our linebackers and D-backs were a little slow to make a read or fill a gap. Some of this may have been due to young players still learning, and Claeys mentioned experimentation that will end with the conference season starting.

Claeys said that if you take out two third-and-ones that Colorado State converted, we held Colorado State to 2-for-12 on third-down conversions (I think those were the numbers he stated). He was pretty pleased with the third down pass defense. That's an improvement compared to the past few years.

Getting there, but inconsistent and not good enough yet.

It also seems like we are missing tackles that we have normally made in years past. Also could be due to the young guys playing. I'm hoping our defense can pick it up a little bit though.

Top Bottom