Officials picked up 4 flags today, Hitchcock very critical of refs

Stan

Reaction score
Crazy to see 4 flags picked up today. On KFAN post game show former Gopher and NFLer Ray Hitchcock said officials were from west coast and they shouldn't be able to officiate a MWC game. He said the officials did not call a good game.

Crazy to see 4 flags picked up today. On KFAN post game show former Gopher and NFLer Ray Hitchcock said officials were from west coast and they shouldn't be able to officiate a MWC game. He said the officials did not call a good game.

Why not have refs from a conference not involved in the game?

Why not have refs from a conference not involved in the game?

I said the same thing in the in-game thread. They should have refs from neither team's conference.

It seemed like on the Gophers first drive that Rodney Smith went out of bounds well after the first down marker. I was in the second deck so maybe my eyes were mistaken.

It seemed like on the Gophers first drive that Rodney Smith went out of bounds well after the first down marker. I was in the second deck so maybe my eyes were mistaken.

I think they got that call right. The replay on TV showed he had a foot out of bounds.

I thought the officiating was fine and not sure what Hitchcock saw. Yes, they picked up some flags but at least they got together and reviewed the plays and made the right call. As opposed to B10 officials who generally stick with a call not to embarrass the official who called it.

I thought the officiating was fine and not sure what Hitchcock saw. Yes, they picked up some flags but at least they got together and reviewed the plays and made the right call. As opposed to B10 officials who generally stick with a call not to embarrass the official who called it.

That's a good point, Lester.

I'd rather have them pick up flags than enforce the wrong call. I think they were just fine.

I agree. I thought the officiating was perfectly fine yesterday.

I agree. I thought the officiating was perfectly fine yesterday.

Yep, except for the phantom facemask on Richardson.... why wasn't that one reviewed or picked up. Replays clearly showed there was no infraction.

I thought the crew was pretty bad. Picking up the flags is obviously preferable to leaving a bad call on the field, but it is still concerning that a professional referee thought that the ball thrown 10 yards over the receivers head was catchable.

The back refs job is to watch the players for holding, interference and to determine if it's a catch, etc. The deep side judges get a better view on if a ball is catchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The back refs job is to watch the players for holding, interference and to determine if it's a catch, etc. The deep side judges get a better view on if a ball is catchable.

Everyone in the stadium, including the drunk fans in the upper deck, had a good enough view to see that that one was uncatchable.

Yep, except for the phantom facemask on Richardson.... why wasn't that one reviewed or picked up. Replays clearly showed there was no infraction.

Penalties can't be reviewed. The players head twisted twice which likely helped fool the ref. Just a tough call that went against us.

Also Big Ten crew worked the game in Fort Collins last year. That's how non conference games work. Additionally when we play FCS schools many of the crews are thrown together with guys who work MAC/FCS/and lower games.

Penalties can't be reviewed. The players head twisted twice which likely helped fool the ref. Just a tough call that went against us.

Also Big Ten crew worked the game in Fort Collins last year. That's how non conference games work. Additionally when we play FCS schools many of the crews are thrown together with guys who work MAC/FCS/and lower games.

What was with the review of Shenault's targeting call when they picked up the flag? If it wasn't a foul, how could they review it? Or were they looking at whatever Myrick's penalty was?

It was awesome and the best call ever when the official called the entire Gopher offense for illegal procedure except for the center.

What was with the review of Shenault's targeting call when they picked up the flag? If it wasn't a foul, how could they review it? Or were they looking at whatever Myrick's penalty was?

That's new this year. They can assess a targeting foul via replay. They decided it was not a foul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom