ESPN: Michigan, Michigan State players raise fists during national anthem

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Players for Michigan and Michigan State raised their fists during the national anthem at each team's respective home game Saturday.

Three Michigan State players -- running back Delton Williams, safety Kenney Lyke and defensive end Gabe Sherrod -- held their right fists in the air while standing for the anthem before the eighth-ranked Spartans' 30-6 loss to No. 11-ranked Wisconsin.

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said the players were exercising their freedom.

"To me, your patriotism, your faith are sort of the same -- that's your choice. And it's influenced by what you've experienced in this world. So whether somebody salutes or puts a hand over their heart, everybody has a choice to make," Dantonio said after the game. "I guess they have decisions that people have to make. As long as it's done in a peaceful way, this is America. That's what the flag stands for. It stands for the freedom to do what you need to do. That's the beautiful thing about this country.

"At some point in time, when the true enemy comes, I guess we'll all stand together. But I can't make assumptions for our players, for what they've gone through in their lives. All I can do is try and lead the best way I can and be positive and accepting toward our football team and our players. When we come together after the national anthem, we come together in solidarity, and I think that's what's important."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17626402/college-football-players-protest-anthem

Go Gophers!!

Great sentiments Coach Dantonio, and very well said. I can see why guys love to play for him and why he has success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if any gopher players will follow suit. Raising a fist, kneeling, etc. We'll see if it catches on here, or anywhere else in the big ten for that matter.

I served so they can exercise their freedom to express themselves peacefully, its also my freedom to call them scrubs.

These news stories about this can go away now. Taking a knee or putting your fist in the air isn't changing anything they feel needs to be changed, all it serves to do is draw attention toward yourself to be singled out instead of a sense of team, uniformity and unity.
Which is what this country needs the most.
In my time, I've never seen this county more divided and in critical need of leadership.

I see a complete high school team neal during the National Anthem.(FB). Sad. A couple of parents were interviewed and were very upset. Mentioned maybe it was time to visit a veterans home. Seems like a great idea.

Well said by Dantonio. I also personally have no problems with people kneeling during the national anthem, it's their right as Americans. My question is why there is a need to begin every game with the national anthem in the first place? It seems rather pointless.

I served so they can exercise their freedom to express themselves peacefully, its also my freedom to call them scrubs.

These news stories about this can go away now. Taking a knee or putting your fist in the air isn't changing anything they feel needs to be changed, all it serves to do is draw attention toward yourself to be singled out instead of a sense of team, uniformity and unity.
Which is what this country needs the most.
In my time, I've never seen this county more divided and in critical need of leadership.

Well told.

Being able to kneel, sit, or raise a fist during the National Anthem is part of what makes America a great country. It's a thing called tolerance. It's also called freedom. I love and respect this country and it's ideals but I don't get my panties in a bunch over these guys doing what they are doing. Obviously people can call them out and say it's wrong and they can disagree, but it doesn't make them any better or more patriotic. It's a diverse country and these guys aren't harming anyone. They're doing what they can to bring about change. You can judge and say they are doing it the "wrong way" and aren't making a difference but that's just your opinion. These guys have a platform and it's their right to use it. Just like its people's right not to go to the games or watch them if they so vehemently disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said by Dantonio. I also personally have no problems with people kneeling during the national anthem, it's their right as Americans. My question is why there is a need to begin every game with the national anthem in the first place? It seems rather pointless.

For me, it's a reminder that we are all on the same team at the end of the day. It should be used to inspire patriotism, nothing else. How many times a week do we as Americans have to stand for the Anthem? How many times a year? People make it sound like they're spending half the day standing for the anthem. I can handle a few minutes before a sporting event. I can do that. Just my opinion.

At this point, I guess I could care less what players want to do during the national anthem. But now this is bringing these conversations into the CFB space. Which has already been played out to obnoxious levels in the NFL. Just don't really want to hear all of it again.

That's what is awesome about CFB, far less drama outside the game. Or rather, less drama blasted on all the news channels.

I don't care much what they do but stop putting it all over ESPN, et al.

I don't agree with Kap and others, just don't plaster it all over the media. Let them do what they want on their own terms and let the rest ignore them. Clearly, the media outlets that have a similar agenda are going to give it more airtime than others, which is unfortunate.

Top Bottom