What grade would you give the Gophers running game in Brooks' season opener?

• A

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • B

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • C

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

The OL didn't open up running lanes for much of the game. Alot of the yards were very hard fought. A.

I gave a B only because the offensive line has been fairly pedestrian this year. Running backs are doing their jobs...

I gave a B only because the offensive line has been fairly pedestrian this year. Running backs are doing their jobs...
This is the best summation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yeah, O-Line included and the run game overall is a B. The one-two punch of Brooks and Smith looks solid, though. I thought Brooks would maybe be a bit rusty in his first game and start slow, but the guy started doing work the second he got the ball. That's promising.

The o-line played ok at best, CSU created more holes then we did and that's concerning. I did not like Claeys comment "if we can create a stalemate", no we have to create HOLES. Not having Calhoun was noted, but these three backs can create yards after contact for sure, and if we could get a blocking TE who can move a guy off the ball and push to the next level, we could have a car good running game. Woz got blown up by LBers all game..

Leidner also had a great running game, some very good choices on the read option. To me this offense seems to be the exact same one from last year tho?
What's different other than single back runs?

Leidner also had a great running game, some very good choices on the read option. To me this offense seems to be the exact same one from last year tho?
What's different other than single back runs?[/QUOTE

More routes that target the middle of the field. Fewer two back and two TE sets. I doubt we've seen everything. I don't think we've seen a screen so far. As Kirk Ferentz would say "that's football". Along that line, here is the Ferentz philosophy of football and I think you will recognize Kill's philosophy in there. I don't think we entirely know what Claeys philosophy is yet. He is a mix of high variance on defense and low variance on offense (most of the time) thus far. It's a debatable topic. Play to win/high variance or play it close and conservative and hope the ball bounces your way? Vs better teams we need the former and weaker teams the latter, IMO.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2014/12/15/7364529/thats-football-kirk-ferentz-iowa-hawkeyes

More balance and efficient passing

How many points per game did we score last year in the non conference? You really don't see a difference?

Top Bottom