STrib: TCF Bank Stadium's security policy sparks confusion, frustration among U fans

Is the policy clearly printed on the tickets? Is the policy on signs as people come up to the ticket lines (not as they get to the front of the line)? Are there audio announcements outside the gates regarding the policy? I don't know, I'm just asking.

I'm sure STH would be well aware of the policies through emails and visiting the official website, but not the casual or first time fan who just bought tix on StubHub or got them from a friend.

Making fun of potential and actual customers who have a complaint is a really great way to grow a business or rescue a failing one.
cali, you would have not gotten a job writing for Python.

Old doc, you are correct.

So you think making fun of these goofballs on GH will have an effect on future Gopher fans and/or game attendance? That is the most delusional thing I have seen on here in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took me 30 seconds to find one essentially exactly like ours (Iowa) and one only slightly more lenient (Wisconsin- allow 8.5x11" purse). I have a feeling these restrictive policies are nearly ubiquitous nowadays- but it's much easier to pile on the U than actually look it up.

So what you're saying is Wiscy's is more lenient than ours. The whole thing is asinine.

Maybe with a ticket you should also get a personal consultant that will call ahead of time to explain the rules and then also meet you at the park to make sure all is right before personally taking you to your seat and then standing in line for you during the game at the concessions and bathroom. Then we wouldn't have these issues.

I've already got one, thanks.

Surprising tone in this thread... turning away the gal who's clutch purse was 1/2 inch too big? Geez

Surprising tone in this thread... turning away the gal who's clutch purse was 1/2 inch too big? Geez

The rule is the rule. Why is that a big deal. You have to cut if off somewhere. So, if 1/2" too big isn't an issue is 1"? 2"?

Follow the rules and quit complaining. What a bunch of babies.

The funny thing is when the weather turns cold, a ski jacket will have five times the capacity of the clutch purse, but not be searched as thoroughly. False security. At least the larger bags were opened and searched.

per Liz Sawyer:

As she approached the TCF Bank Stadium gates, Jennifer Marsnik was promptly turned away by security guards who deemed her small purse half an inch larger than new regulations allowed. She ditched the clutch and entered the stadium carrying tampons in her hand — as her ticket scanner gave her a dirty look.

Gophers fans have expressed exasperation over enhanced security at the University of Minnesota stadium, where a revised bag policy has sparked long lines and confusion since the home opener on Sept. 1. The new restrictions — implemented late last season following the Paris terrorist attacks — prohibit most backpacks, fanny packs, diaper bags, coolers and briefcases. Even umbrellas, seat backs and all but the smallest purses are also prohibited. It allows medically necessary items, clear plastic totes as big as a one-gallon freezer bag and clutch purses about the size of a hand.

Spectators have complained that the U didn’t properly notify ticket holders ahead of time about what is considered contraband, which resulted in hundreds of fans being sent back to their cars to leave behind items that were once allowed inside and are still allowed at other venues, such as Target Field. But university officials say they made every effort to inform fans. Backlash over the policies, which mirror those at Vikings and all other NFL games, is an inevitable growing pain, they said.

Debbie Madison and her friend were also denied entrance to a recent football game when security officers, measuring her bag with a 4.5-by-6.5-inch piece of paper, said it was just oversized. Unwilling to check their belongings at Williams Arena, the women simply gave their tickets away and headed for a drink down the block at Stub and Herb’s.

“[We] decided to spend our money where it was appreciated and go back to our college bar for a good burger and watch the game there,” said Madison, of St. Paul, a retired university employee of 35 years. She’d brought that same purse to Vikings, Twins and St. Paul Saints games in previous seasons.

http://www.startribune.com/tcf-bank...ion-frustration-among-gophers-fans/394644911/

Go Gophers!!

Yah, I've seen this where people purchased Gopher gear prior to the game only to get turned away w/ their newly purchased items. Fan friendly!

And with about 20 minutes to kickoff on opening night, the "security" staff said to hell with it and quit searching and wanding bags completely.

My wife threw her purse out today entering the stadium. It's the smallest one she had, but it was a no go. I took everything in the purse, put it in my pockets and they didn't even search me. I could have had all kinds of bad things but I was never even patted down. The University is still a joke when it comes to running a stadium. I see now why they were better at the metrodump. Thank goodness it only took 3 years to get registers...

My wife threw her purse out today entering the stadium. It's the smallest one she had, but it was a no go. I took everything in the purse, put it in my pockets and they didn't even search me. I could have had all kinds of bad things but I was never even patted down. The University is still a joke when it comes to running a stadium. I see now why they were better at the metrodump. Thank goodness it only took 3 years to get registers...

Next time just put the whole purse in your pocket.

The consensus here seems to be that the Mrs. Should have read the bag policy and shopped for a purse that met the University's criteria, despite owning a reasonably similar one.

I do understand people getting upset. I went to a Timberwolves game last year (first time in 3 years) and they made me empty my pockets airport-style and they said I couldn't bring in my 1-inch long swiss army knife (the smallest kind you can buy). I ended up throwing it away. I was not happy.

I take the same knife (in plain sight of security) through Twins security several times a year and it's not a big deal for them. Not to mention the many times I've taken it into Gopher games over the years.

I think the inconsistency among teams' security in town adds to the frustration of fans.

Thanks a lot, terrorists.

The consensus here seems to be that the Mrs. Should have read the bag policy and shopped for a purse that met the University's criteria, despite owning a reasonably similar one.

Aren't they also handing out perfectly sized clear purses with Block M outside the stadium?

Aren't they also handing out perfectly sized clear purses with Block M outside the stadium?

True but if you don't know about the policy until you're at the door, you either lose 30 minutes walking back to your car or you have to throw away your purse.

True but if you don't know about the policy until you're at the door, you either lose 30 minutes walking back to your car or you have to throw away your purse.

They are in front of the entrances walking around offering the bags...it's not like they are hiding or you have to hunt for them.

They are in front of the entrances walking around offering the bags...it's not like they are hiding or you have to hunt for them.

What if your parking spot is 15 minutes away (30 minutes round-trip)? They aren't handing out the bags in the parking lots are they?

What if your parking spot is 15 minutes away (30 minutes round-trip)? They aren't handing out the bags in the parking lots are they?

Are you saying they should be in the parking lots? At some point, people have to take a little responsibility themselves, this was the third home game.

Are you saying they should be in the parking lots? At some point, people have to take a little responsibility themselves, this was the third home game.

No - I'm just saying handing out correct-sized bags at the door doesn't really solve the problem. By then it's too late - why bother?

No - I'm just saying handing out correct-sized bags at the door doesn't really solve the problem. By then it's too late - why bother?

Vast majority of fans are parking within minutes of the stadium, so it isn't too late. The policy has been well communicated...can't solve for every possible scenario. As I said, at some point, the responsibility has to fall to the people attending.

Vast majority of fans are parking within minutes of the stadium, so it isn't too late. The policy has been well communicated...can't solve for every possible scenario. As I said, at some point, the responsibility has to fall to the people attending.

Personal responsibility? That's un-American!

Or, bear with me here, go to the game without a purse (gasp).

Next time just put the whole purse in your pocket.

I tried, it didn't fold well. I assumed if I left everything in it, stuffed it in my sweatshirt pocket, and they noticed, it could get me in trouble. It was a cheapo purse she told me, but she said I owe her a coach one now. So bad for me ;)

The Billd's handled the bag thing today okay. The curve for us was no keys...phones...anything metal...in the pockets. Slowed us down for 20 seconds as i complied.

We'll be prepared for Iowa...at least against the metal detector!

they are inconsistent in searches. I still see small back packs, purses, seat cushions, etc in the stadium, so some gates are going to the letter of the law and others are not. The kicker is the souvenir stands sells back packs and seat cushions that are banned from being inside of
the stadium.

The Billd's handled the bag thing today okay. The curve for us was no keys...phones...anything metal...in the pockets. Slowed us down for 20 seconds as i complied.

We'll be prepared for Iowa...at least against the metal detector!

I went to the Oregon State game and they didn't check anything on me and the person with the wand just waved me past. Sounds like they are very inconsistent.

Sometimes it's fun though to see how much metal you can leave in your pockets and still set off the metal detectors. Do that at Twins games sometimes. I don't recommend it at the airport though.

My wife and I solved the issue by going to the gate naked.

We were denied entry (into the stadium...nudge, nudge, wink, wink) so they gave us some discarded purses, and we cobbled together some clothing.

Brought a new meaning to the "coin purse".

My wife and I solved the issue by going to the gate naked.

We were denied entry (into the stadium...nudge, nudge, wink, wink) so they gave us some discarded purses, and we cobbled together some clothing.

Brought a new meaning to the "coin purse".

Did you stuff her purse up the ol' cornhole?

Top Bottom