STrib: TCF Bank Stadium's security policy sparks confusion, frustration among U fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Liz Sawyer:

As she approached the TCF Bank Stadium gates, Jennifer Marsnik was promptly turned away by security guards who deemed her small purse half an inch larger than new regulations allowed. She ditched the clutch and entered the stadium carrying tampons in her hand — as her ticket scanner gave her a dirty look.

Gophers fans have expressed exasperation over enhanced security at the University of Minnesota stadium, where a revised bag policy has sparked long lines and confusion since the home opener on Sept. 1. The new restrictions — implemented late last season following the Paris terrorist attacks — prohibit most backpacks, fanny packs, diaper bags, coolers and briefcases. Even umbrellas, seat backs and all but the smallest purses are also prohibited. It allows medically necessary items, clear plastic totes as big as a one-gallon freezer bag and clutch purses about the size of a hand.

Spectators have complained that the U didn’t properly notify ticket holders ahead of time about what is considered contraband, which resulted in hundreds of fans being sent back to their cars to leave behind items that were once allowed inside and are still allowed at other venues, such as Target Field. But university officials say they made every effort to inform fans. Backlash over the policies, which mirror those at Vikings and all other NFL games, is an inevitable growing pain, they said.

Debbie Madison and her friend were also denied entrance to a recent football game when security officers, measuring her bag with a 4.5-by-6.5-inch piece of paper, said it was just oversized. Unwilling to check their belongings at Williams Arena, the women simply gave their tickets away and headed for a drink down the block at Stub and Herb’s.

“[We] decided to spend our money where it was appreciated and go back to our college bar for a good burger and watch the game there,” said Madison, of St. Paul, a retired university employee of 35 years. She’d brought that same purse to Vikings, Twins and St. Paul Saints games in previous seasons.

http://www.startribune.com/tcf-bank...ion-frustration-among-gophers-fans/394644911/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting...didn't they just adopt what the Vikes have been doing? Count me in the group that knew this change well ahead of time. U did what it could to get the word out. Have had zero issues getting in...under 5 minutes both games.

I love folks that can't follow rules then complain when they are enforced. I'm glad these tools didn't get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why bring anything to the game? It is amazing that people cannot get along with certain things for 3 hours.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to go anywhere without my tampons.

“[We] decided to spend our money where it was appreciated and go back to our college bar for a good burger and watch the game there,” said Madison, of St. Paul, a retired university employee of 35 years. She’d brought that same purse to Vikings, Twins and St. Paul Saints games in previous seasons.

Yes, this decision was made because they don't appreciate your business. I really hate that they are trying to make it a safe environment. Outrage!

1/2 inch????????????????????? Come on.....

This rule was clearly stated. The confusion and frustration is limited to a very select few who ignored the notices that have become commonplace in most stadiums around the country. Not surprised that the strib hunted a couple people down and painted this as a problem for everyone.

I think the U really botched this one.... bad. Why not have people walking the line helping catch people who are unaware? I saw many women get to the front of the line only to be turned away, which only slowed the lines further as they had to ask for clarification. It's customer service, you p*** people off once, they won't come back. How stupid is this rule, they ask you put the strap of your purse in a clear plastic bag

"Small clutch bags (no larger than 4.5” x 6.5”), approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium with one of the clear plastic bags."

This is a stupid rule that provides absolutely nothing but perception of safety; take the Minnesota Twins lead and complete bag checks and metal scans. They do it 81 times a year flawlessly.

I think the U really botched this one.... bad. Why not have people walking the line helping catch people who are unaware? I saw many women get to the front of the line only to be turned away, which only slowed the lines further as they had to ask for clarification. It's customer service, you p*** people off once, they won't come back. How stupid is this rule, they ask you put the strap of your purse in a clear plastic bag

"Small clutch bags (no larger than 4.5” x 6.5”), approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium with one of the clear plastic bags."

This is a stupid rule that provides absolutely nothing but perception of safety; take the Minnesota Twins lead and complete bag checks and metal scans. They do it 81 times a year flawlessly.

Or, you could just know the rules and not expect the U to hire additional people to walk around and educate everyone too lazy to figure them out beforehand.

Agree with homermn! How many other college football teams around the country have this policy. Leave it to the U of M, let's make it harder for people to go to our games, not easier. After all, we're so popular. Let's just kill any momentum we might have. Oh well

My favorite part was calling out umbrellas, which have clearly been forbidden since the stadium opened in 2009.

I think the policy is a bit strict. they almost didn't allow my soft glasses case in because it was a tad over 6.5 inches. there has to be some common sense with it.

Agree with homermn! How many other college football teams around the country have this policy. Leave it to the U of M, let's make it harder for people to go to our games, not easier. After all, we're so popular. Let's just kill any momentum we might have. Oh well

Took me 30 seconds to find one essentially exactly like ours (Iowa) and one only slightly more lenient (Wisconsin- allow 8.5x11" purse). I have a feeling these restrictive policies are nearly ubiquitous nowadays- but it's much easier to pile on the U than actually look it up.

I feel like the part that was rough with this was in regards to students, especially the freshmen, on opening night who had NO DAMN IDEA what was happening which caused utter chaos. Agree with homer that you get people flagging earlier if you are carrying a purse to let you know it's not allowed. Lots of exasperated people at the front of the line trudging away because of bags which caused delays and congestion. I understand the policy, just feel like there has to be an easier way to usher the screening through. It did improve at game 2 though and may be better at game 3 tomorrow

I feel like the part that was rough with this was in regards to students, especially the freshmen, on opening night who had NO DAMN IDEA what was happening which caused utter chaos. Agree with homer that you get people flagging earlier if you are carrying a purse to let you know it's not allowed. Lots of exasperated people at the front of the line trudging away because of bags which caused delays and congestion. I understand the policy, just feel like there has to be an easier way to usher the screening through. It did improve at game 2 though and may be better at game 3 tomorrow

Said it before, I had no problem getting into either game in under 5 minutes. This is not an issue.

2281172fef6fcde33da9f6da41dcec74.jpg

This rule was clearly stated. The confusion and frustration is limited to a very select few who ignored the notices that have become commonplace in most stadiums around the country.

I knew the rule but I looked at my wife's purse and it looked small enough. She had no idea the rule was in place - at the gate, her purse was perhaps a 1/2 or an inch too big. She only had a few things in the purse which she opened (like she does at Twins games) and showed to the "hall moniter" - nope, couldn't get in - no common sense. At least 1/2 of the women that sit around us had the same problem and all were pissed. We were told that at some gates there were enough pissed women that the women just pushed through and overwhelmed the purse checkers. This was poorly handled by the U and wasn't limited to a select few.

Maybe with a ticket you should also get a personal consultant that will call ahead of time to explain the rules and then also meet you at the park to make sure all is right before personally taking you to your seat and then standing in line for you during the game at the concessions and bathroom. Then we wouldn't have these issues.

Poor saps making minimum wage get to play Hitler for an hour.
Falling ticket sales, decreasing interest and now more aggravation and disgruntled customers leaving.
Yes, there are rules but there is also common sense.

Said it before, I had no problem getting into either game in under 5 minutes. This is not an issue.

You apparently went in at a different time on the opener. Once your up there, yeah it goes fine if you aren't carrying but the lines that night were terrible and they got a lot of pissed freshman out of it. Audibly pissed. It doesn't matter if you don't care or think it's a non issue. I'm just telling ti saw

It is a hassle mostly borne by women and families with small children. Whether or not you are affected by the policy, others will be, and the hassle may not be worth it. We're the people doing bag checks doing such a poor job that they effectively have given up?

You apparently went in at a different time on the opener. Once your up there, yeah it goes fine if you aren't carrying but the lines that night were terrible and they got a lot of pissed freshman out of it. Audibly pissed. It doesn't matter if you don't care or think it's a non issue. I'm just telling ti saw

I'm sure there were issues at that gate since it is where all students enter...plus I'm guessing they all showed up fairly close together. Went in Gate B on the opener, and the gate by Goldy's Locker room for ISU about 15-20 minutes before kick-off. Like to grab a beer and watch the band pregame show.

I knew the rule but I looked at my wife's purse and it looked small enough. She had no idea the rule was in place - at the gate, her purse was perhaps a 1/2 or an inch too big. She only had a few things in the purse which she opened (like she does at Twins games) and showed to the "hall moniter" - nope, couldn't get in - no common sense. At least 1/2 of the women that sit around us had the same problem and all were pissed. We were told that at some gates there were enough pissed women that the women just pushed through and overwhelmed the purse checkers. This was poorly handled by the U and wasn't limited to a select few.

I get the common sense angle but the issue is when you put a policy like the one we have in place you can't allow for exceptions or wiggle room because it just creates more problems. People may not like the policy or think it is really accomplishing anything but if it is clearly stated ahead of time then it is on the people going to the stadium to know the rules.

At this point anyone still trying to show up with bags that are too large or items that are not allowed is just not paying attention or thinks they should get some sort of special treatment.

Minnesotans: STrib policy of creating issues where none exist sparks confusion

per Liz Sawyer:

As she approached the corner of Marquette and 7th street, Jennifer Marsnik was promptly confused by two green metal boxes filled with bird cage linings. Why are we wasting so many trees to create these worthless cage liners? And why do these things seem to love bashing the University of Minnesota. The University has the exact same policy as the beloved Vikings, yet these bird cage liners take the University to task? Is it because the Vikings have fewer, whiny, entitled, idiots going to the games? Given the Vikings ownership structure and behavior, the answer to this is clearly no.

One female student said "I want to know that I am 100% safe at all times, but I absolutely refuse to submit to anything I feel is stupid that is being done to try to create a safe environment". "The University needs to do both things to my liking, at all times" her friend said, in all his glory festooned with participation ribbons and medals. "If I don't get it, I'm going to tell my mommy on you!" A student, nearby, seemingly unconcerned with the massive controversy (that I've just created) was heard wondering aloud why after two weeks at the University he hadn't been given his diploma yet -- "I've worked really hard these past two weeks and haven't gotten one single standing ovation or celebratory free lunch, and I've been almost on time to class twice so far". (continued on page c42).

Making fun of potential and actual customers who have a complaint is a really great way to grow a business or rescue a failing one.
cali, you would have not gotten a job writing for Python.

Making fun of potential and actual customers who have a complaint is a really great way to grow a business or rescue a failing one.
cali, you would have not gotten a job writing for Python.

Go **** yourself.

Pay attention to your own game, and your own fans.

It's comforting to me knowing that the same non-rules reading idiots exist outside of Kinnick as well.

Top Bottom