CBS: 5 programs that once dominated are now nowhere close to what they were

CBS profiles 5 programs that once dominated college basketball that are no longer near what they were. The include Arkansas, Georgetown, St. John's, Stanford and Wake Forest. We play two of these five this season. I would have to add UNLV to this list and even potentially UCLA.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...all-programs-that-arent-what-they-used-to-be/

Go Gophers!!

I'd add Indiana to that list way ahead of Stanford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd add Indiana to that list way ahead of Stanford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of Indiana too, but it might be a strange position to take right after they won the Big Ten outright. But they certainly aren't an 800 pound gorilla in the Big Ten either.

Aside from Wake, the one thing each of those programs have in common is that they were very good during the tenure of one coach. Once that coach left, success waned.

As a fan, your team is among the nation's best for 10 or 15 years, and you think it will never end. But aside from maybe a half-dozen bluebloods, most programs are just one bad hire away from returning to the pack.

Texas Western is down to some degree from their high point

When did Stanford dominate? Sometime in the 1940s?

They had a really good run under Mark Montgomery in the 90s/early 2000s. In his 18 years there they made 16 postseason appearances (12 NCAA, 4 NIT), won four regular season Pac-10 titles, and had a record of 393-167 (.702). They went to the Final Four in '98.

I'd take that run of success for the Gophers any day.

DePaul had that really nice run at the end of Ray Meyer's coaching career. They suck.

Aside from Wake, the one thing each of those programs have in common is that they were very good during the tenure of one coach. Once that coach left, success waned.

As a fan, your team is among the nation's best for 10 or 15 years, and you think it will never end. But aside from maybe a half-dozen bluebloods, most programs are just one bad hire away from returning to the pack.

Very well said! Most teams' success is very coach dependent. Only a small number of programs remain powerhouses across multiple coaches. Wisconsin fans may have been thinking the way you mentioned but Bo Ryan level of success is not too likely to persist over the next decade or two.

I didn't read the article, but I would add Houston under Guy Lewis to that list. Not only did they have the very successful Drexler/Olajawon period, they also had the Elvin Hayes period. They have done little or nothing since Guy Lewis.

Oregon State was another program that was very successful under one coach (Ralph Miller) but has been absolutely nowhere to be found since.

I never really thought of Wake or Stanford as "dominating" college basketball. Windy City makes a good point about Montgomery's run, and I'd certainly take it, but I wouldn't call it dominant. Looking at Wake in particular, they only have 4 ACC conference titles in their history. It seems like I was a little kid the last time St. John's was relevant, which makes their inclusion in this list strange. JT3 would have Georgetown off this list if not for a couple of really bad NCAA losses.

I never really thought of Wake or Stanford as "dominating" college basketball. Windy City makes a good point about Montgomery's run, and I'd certainly take it, but I wouldn't call it dominant. Looking at Wake in particular, they only have 4 ACC conference titles in their history. It seems like I was a little kid the last time St. John's was relevant, which makes their inclusion in this list strange. JT3 would have Georgetown off this list if not for a couple of really bad NCAA losses.

Pretty much all of those schools have been victims of some of the bigger upsets in terms of top-2 seeds getting ousted the first weekend of the tourney. Many of them have been upset by a much lower seed multiple times in the past 15 or 16 years (not necessarily as a top-2 seed), although St John's has rarely made the tourney in this period.

Top Bottom