Burns on podcast, "fully expects players to be cleared"

Don't you think at some point, you would have to reinstate the players if they

A. Have not been charged
B. Don't volunteer that they did anything illegal or against team policy
C. Seem credible in their explanation of events

I don't understand how they can be penalized indefinitely without an explanation about what is going to change in the future (i.e. waiting for DNA results, witness is out of the country but returning) to change a pending investigation into charges.

Claeys explanation "violation of team policy, taking it day by day" makes no sense. If they did something that violates team policy shouldn't there be set punishments and timelines? It should not be a crime to be accused of something. Too easy to bring down someone with false charges. I thought we learned our lesson on that with Duke Lacrosse.

We don't know what Claeys means by team policy violation, that could be anything.... usually those don't even get explained publicly. Often never.

Also the team shouldn't have any hands in the investigation even if just to avoid them making some stupid mistake trying to influence something, so they can't possibly know much, but for god's sake they can't just go by "oh man my player says he is innocent so he can play..." Who wouldn't say they're innocent, or sound "credible" to people who want him to play?

It's best to let the criminal justice system work. The alternative is that the university get involved and ho man have you seen the results of that?

I get that it doesn't seem fair but even in the criminal justice system folks get arrested and there is fallout even if they're innocent. It's a balance, there is no perfect fair way to go.

It's 2016

Think it is pretty safe to assume that even though the public has gotten shockingly little information (in this day and age of info leaks) there must be something there for the coaches to keep them suspended. Not saying the players are guilty or anything like that, but just because the public hasn't gotten more info it doesn't mean the coaches/athletic department haven't. The coaches aren't going to want to keep valuable players off the field if there is nothing there to worry about.

It's 2016. Coaches don't make the decision when a player gets to play if they are entangled with law enforcement. They have to get clearance from the law enforcement people, then University administration, then the coaches decide how to handle it depending what administration dictates. Coaches are powerless. Briles just got fired for letting guys play.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

How long will it take the attorney's office to decide?

My guess: If it's not quick, it'll take a long time. We have no idea what's involved. Reggie Lynch took seemingly forever.

Don't you think at some point, you would have to reinstate the players if they

A. Have not been charged
B. Don't volunteer that they did anything illegal or against team policy
C. Seem credible in their explanation of events

I don't understand how they can be penalized indefinitely without an explanation about what is going to change in the future (i.e. waiting for DNA results, witness is out of the country but returning) to change a pending investigation into charges.

Claeys explanation "violation of team policy, taking it day by day" makes no sense. If they did something that violates team policy shouldn't there be set punishments and timelines? It should not be a crime to be accused of something. Too easy to bring down someone with false charges. I thought we learned our lesson on that with Duke Lacrosse.

A football team isn't a governmental entity. Players aren't owed due process. The team/University can basically do anything it wants with players as long as it's within the law. Prohibiting them from playing football temporarily isn't a violation of their rights, legal or otherwise.

I don't get the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over this. The University is never, ever going to compromise on its reputation or integrity.

My guess is by the time the attorney's office decides to file charges or not the season will be over.

I don't think it will take long to decide whether to prosecute they either have the evidence or they don't. The one option that is problematic is to return the file for further investigation. My guess is Monday or Tuesday.

Boys, it is Henn.County. They turn over rocks even if technically, every rock has been turned over. I hope the kids have been honest with their parents. If the parents of all four players feels there is an injustice here they can put some pressure on for them to be exonerated. Still, I would be surprised if it isn't another 2-3 weeks.

A football team isn't a governmental entity. Players aren't owed due process. The team/University can basically do anything it wants with players as long as it's within the law. Prohibiting them from playing football temporarily isn't a violation of their rights, legal or otherwise.

I don't get the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over this. The University is never, ever going to compromise on its reputation or integrity.

Legal to the extent their reputations are not slandered.

This entire mess is because of the Universities brilliant policy of being guilty until proven innocent. The proven innocent part is up to a subjective group of feminists wanting tribal dominance. [emoji41] [emoji485]

Not entirely true. I do remember Mychal Thompson hiring a lawyer and getting a court order forcing the U to conduct a disciplinary hearing. Caused a bit of ruckus particularly when the hearing was decided in his favor.

This entire mess is because of the Universities brilliant policy of being guilty until proven innocent. The proven innocent part is up to a subjective group of feminists wanting tribal dominance. [emoji41] [emoji485]

Stop trying to shoehorn legal and court language into a place where it doesn't fit. The concepts of "guilty" and "innocent" are for government and courts to decide, not a football team. There is no presumption of innocence outside of a courtroom.

Stop trying to shoehorn legal and court language into a place where it doesn't fit. The concepts of "guilty" and "innocent" are for government and courts to decide, not a football team. There is no presumption of innocence outside of a courtroom.

True. That being said, if it turns out the players were innocent (and I have no knowledge as to the facts of this situation), this would be a pretty crappy punishment to give them for doing nothing wrong.

True. That being said, if it turns out the players were innocent (and I have no knowledge as to the facts of this situation), this would be a pretty crappy punishment to give them for doing nothing wrong.

Doing nothing illegal and nothing wrong are totally different. They did break team policy, that much we know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You triggered or something?

Well, I did some research...I think it might be original. Thought these quotes were interesting:

“Time will explain.”
― Jane Austen, Persuasion

“Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.”
― Alice Walker, The Color Purple

“Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.”
― Carl Sandburg

“The years teach much the days never know.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”
― Alan W. Watts

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
― Henry Van Dyke

and "If it's not quick, it'll take a long time."
60's Guy ... I wanna thank Yogi Berra for inspiration. Makes sense to me. lol :cool02:
And my answer was to a question impossible to answer.

Well, I did some research...I think it might be original. Thought these quotes were interesting:

“Time will explain.”
― Jane Austen, Persuasion

“Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.”
― Alice Walker, The Color Purple

“Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.”
― Carl Sandburg

“The years teach much the days never know.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”
― Alan W. Watts

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
― Henry Van Dyke

and "If it's not quick, it'll take a long time."
60's Guy ... I wanna thank Yogi Berra for inspiration. Makes sense to me. lol :cool02:

Awesome response.

Doing nothing illegal and nothing wrong are totally different. They did break team policy, that much we know.

Exactly, they were idiots and are paying punishment. While being punished, police/county are clearing the of potential illegal activity.

If I'm 18 and get caught smoking, I sit for a couple games in high school. I didn't do anything illegal, but broke a rule I signed on for by playing sports.

Exactly, they were idiots and are paying punishment. While being punished, police/county are clearing the of potential illegal activity.

If I'm 18 and get caught smoking, I sit for a couple games in high school. I didn't do anything illegal, but broke a rule I signed on for by playing sports.

Yeah they wouldn't be the first guys cleared by cops but the team makes an example of them.

8f62c6b08ef72326654625458b5c1374.jpg
[emoji41] [emoji485]

Bingo. They screwed up somehow. Most of us still have no idea what happened, aside from vague references here and there, but it was undoubtedly stupid and selfish, and they're being punished. We've all been there as kids, but the stakes weren't as high for most of us.

Anyway, Claeys is not an idiot. Neither is Coyle. Both want to win. Everyone knows Hardin is our 2nd best CB and Buford probably 3rd. If they're sitting, it's for good reason. I hate it as a fan, but understand as an adult.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Claeys and Coyle have no say in the matter. Just as Pitino and Coyle had no say in Lynch. These decisions are above the athletic department.

Not to get all too personal with these kids but from their Twitter, they all stopped on about the 9th, which was Friday when things went down. Then they all started up again this past week(at least from the ones that are set to public) and one of them even mentioned the time being taken from them is a joke. All the posts I can see are pretty normal like any other college kid and they seem in good spirits anyways. So from what my amateur detective skills, I dont see much stress of cause concern from them. Obviously whatever happened was not good and they would probably be the first to admit that, but I know if most people were facing some very serious charges their attitudes would be much different and they would not be joking around with their teamates. Just my two cents and lets hope it's cleared up and they are back for Iowa!

Any young man that goes into a room with a woman is risking trouble. You never know
what she will say the next day.

For example, I was on a jury in Dakota County that found a young man not guilty after deliberating 30 minutes.

Any young man that goes into a room with a woman is risking trouble. You never know
what she will say the next day.

For example, I was on a jury in Dakota County that found a young man not guilty after deliberating 30 minutes.

Glad you put some effort into it.

/s

Top Bottom