The Best Comment on Rutgers in the Big Ten

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
It's from the Volleytalk board, but it applies to all sports (except women's BB)

"Rutgers is an RPI anchor, they should have never been admitted to the big ten for many more reasons than that. Being part of the midwest would have been a good spot to start on their application

1) Is your institution within 1,000 miles of Iowa? If you answer no, go back to the Big East
2) Do you shut down tailgate parties because your AD drank a beer at one? If yes, you don't belong anywhere near the midwest

Rutgers does not deserve a tier"

Read more: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/65325/ranking-failing-b1g#ixzz4KvBz0sDw

Rutgers was a crass choice for the B1G. It was a cash dash for the NYC market. The school can't compete academically or athletically.

2) Do you shut down tailgate parties because your AD drank a beer at one? If yes, you don't belong anywhere near the midwest

Context

Rutgers Student Tailgate Shut Down After AD Chugs A Beer On Stage

"That man you see above you there is Rutgers Athletic Director Pat Hobbs, indulging in a cold one at the official Rutgers student tailgate before the school’s game against New Mexico on Saturday. Rutgers opened up a student tailgate zone this season to try and boost attendance, but after two games, the school has closed the section, citing safety concerns. Hobbs said that he took the stage to address those concerns, but instead, he ended up quaffing a foamy beer."

Context

Rutgers Student Tailgate Shut Down After AD Chugs A Beer On Stage

"That man you see above you there is Rutgers Athletic Director Pat Hobbs, indulging in a cold one at the official Rutgers student tailgate before the school’s game against New Mexico on Saturday. Rutgers opened up a student tailgate zone this season to try and boost attendance, but after two games, the school has closed the section, citing safety concerns. Hobbs said that he took the stage to address those concerns, but instead, he ended up quaffing a foamy beer."

My understanding is the crowd was chanting for him to drink one. He initially said no, then took a sip of the beer. Probably not the best thing to do, but c'mon, is it really necessary to shut the whole thing down?

My understanding is the crowd was chanting for him to drink one. He initially said no, then took a sip of the beer. Probably not the best thing to do, but c'mon, is it really necessary to shut the whole thing down?

Go Gophers!!

Rutgers basketball has always puzzled me. It's effectively New Jersey State University and doesn't have tremendous academic barriers. It is located within a basketball hotbed (Jersey, NYC, Philly is nearby). Yet, the Scarlet Knights have put no more than a dozen players in the NBA in their history, none of whom were remotely stars, and I believe has a single NCAA tourney appearance since the late 1980s. There is something institutionally that has been wrong there for decades. With the right coach and better facilities, there is no reason why this school can't have a solid program but there has never been an interest in doing that as well as a ton of mistakes.

The problem is....they practice with an oval basketball.

Comedian Chris Gethard was on Colbert very recently. Gethard mentioned he went to Rutgers and there was some very mild, sporadic clapping and a subdued "whoo". He acknowledged it by saying, "Yeah, that's all it deserves".

And yes, it is really baffling how bad they have been in basketball.

I think Midwesterners typically fail to appreciate how close together places are in the Northeast. We aren't at all surprised when a Minnesotan ventures down to Madison to play basketball.

Within about that distance of Rutgers? Syracuse, UConn, St Johns, Temple, Villanova, St Josephs, Georgetown, Maryland, George Washington, UMass, Providence, Boston College and Penn with better basketball histories than Rutgers. Not to mention a bunch of other D1 schools throwing full scholarships at athletes.

Success isn't inherent with their location, effort is required.

I think Midwesterners typically fail to appreciate how close together places are in the Northeast. We aren't at all surprised when a Minnesotan ventures down to Madison to play basketball.

Within about that distance of Rutgers? Syracuse, UConn, St Johns, Temple, Villanova, St Josephs, Georgetown, Maryland, George Washington, UMass, Providence, Boston College and Penn with better basketball histories than Rutgers. Not to mention a bunch of other D1 schools throwing full scholarships at athletes.

Pretty much the answer I got when I inquired about Rutgers' basketball ineptitude on another board. There's good talent in the area, but there are loads of much better programs close by.

Apropos of perhaps nothing, I was on Rutgers' campus this summer for a conference and was thoroughly unimpressed with the campus. It was spread out, incohesive, and with minimal semblance of community space to gather. I came to despise the place after 3 days and find it laughable that it was deemed a necessity for the Big Ten. That the lukewarm glory days of the Scarlet Knights are represented by Greg Schiano and Ray Rice seems appropriate.

Comedian Chris Gethard was on Colbert very recently. Gethard mentioned he went to Rutgers and there was some very mild, sporadic clapping and a subdued "whoo". He acknowledged it by saying, "Yeah, that's all it deserves".

And yes, it is really baffling how bad they have been in basketball.

I saw that. Pretty funny.

Any B1G basketball team that loses to Rutgers this season should be charged with two conference losses instead of one.

I know Rutgers just hired a new coach, but lets be real he will faill and be out in four years. A program like Rutgers they need to think outside the box, they need a guy who understands the AAU culture and has good relationships with those people and the high school coaches in the area. they will never keep everyone in that area, but if they hired guy like Kevin Boyle who had a ton of success with St. Patrick's and now has built Montverde up into a national power, I think that would be a great move for them. Someone who has put people in college and in the NBA, someone who would understand the situation in Rutgers and knows the recruiting ground. Hell he probably recruited those kids when they were in middle school to his high school program. A guy like that would be a good hire for Rutgers, and I am sure he would pick up the phone and listen, who wouldn't want to go from Preps to the Big Ten. Rutgers has nothing to lose they've tried everything else

Good points. It's tough to compete against those established programs. Still, they haven't even made the NIT for a decade. That's absolutely crazy.

And we get them only once this year...and it's on the road. Naturally.

Top Bottom