Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Recruiting Including Minnesota, Iowa, Marquette Visits

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Recruiting Including Minnesota, Iowa, Marquette Visits
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/699136?referrer_id=

Race Thompson, a 6-foot-7 junior forward from Robbinsdale (MN) Armstrong, is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number two prospect from Minnesota in the class. Thompson received a scholarship offer from Minnesota earlier this year.

Thompson averaged 13.8 points per game this past year for the Falcons, who finished 15-13. He scored in double figures 19 of 26 games, including a season-best 29 points versus Irondale and seven games of 20 or more points.

Gopher Hole caught up with Thompson to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You were down in Iowa Saturday for their football game versus Iowa State. What was that experience like?

Race Thompson: It was a lot of fun. The atmosphere of the Iowa State football game was great. The coaching staff was great and it was a lot of fun being down there at Iowa.

Gopher Hole: You were also at the Gopher football opener against Oregon State. What was that like?

Race Thompson: It was fun. I mean, I didn't get a chance to talk to the coaches that much because there were younger players that they were recruiting pretty hard, but it was fun. I was with McKinley (Wright), who was on his official and Calvin (Wishart of Delano) on my team and Anthony, they both came with me. We all had fun at the game. The tailgate was fun with all of them. That was a good visit, too. .

Gopher Hole: Was that kind of nice to have some kids that you were familiar with that you had played with or against on the visit with you at Minnesota?

Race Thompson: Yes, it definitely does. I can also talk to them about how they feel about it. Just getting their point of view on what it's like to go there and even if they don't go there, I get a feel of what it is like because of the players also.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Race Thompson: Ten. Nebraska, Iowa State, Minnesota, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, Arizona State, Marquette, Northwestern, Creighton and Kansas State.

Gopher Hole: Has Iowa talked about maybe extending an offer to you?

Race Thompson: Not really. They talked about what they would want me to do if I went there, so kind of, but they haven't really reached out that hard to offer me yet, so we'll see. They might next summer or even after open gym. They are coming down to watch me in open gym soon, so we'll see after that.

Gopher Hole: Have other schools talked about coming up for an open gym?

Race Thompson: Definitely, Wisconsin, Baylor. A couple of schools like that. Schools that offered me and schools that have offered me just want to come and show some love.

Gopher Hole: You are a junior now. What is the feeling like finally being a junior? Does it feel any different?

Race Thompson: Not really. It is kind of nice being an upperclassmen. Younger kids kind of look up to me a little bit, so I like it definitely. It's not that much of a change.

Gopher Hole: Football season has started. Do you miss not being on the football field or do you realize that basketball is your sport?

Race Thompson: I know basketball is my sport, but I miss some aspects of the game, but I wouldn't necessarily say I regret not going out for football, because I don't, but I do miss the game a little bit.

Gopher Hole: How is your brother (True) doing down at Iowa Western Community College?

Race Thompson: He is doing really good. He got a concussion early in the preseason training camp, so he redshirted this year. He'll probably play next year, for sure. We'll see how that goes.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still so early in the recruiting process, but do you like the recruiting process or are you starting to see how it could be a little tiresome at times?

Race Thompson: I am kind of starting to see how it could be tiresome, but it is nice to feel wanted, so I don't mind it sometimes. It is a lot sometimes. I will be with my friends and they'll call me and I'll answer it and my friends will be like "Come on." It's fine. I like it, so it's all good.

Gopher Hole: Any other visits coming up that you know of?

Race Thompson: I am going to Marquette for Marquette Madness. I don't know when that is for sure, but that is coming up.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are still a long way from making a decision, but what are going to be the main factors that mmake you pick School A over School b or C?

Race Thompson: Coaching staff and the way that the coaches treat the players. The way the coaches talk to the players. The type of offense. The type of defense they play. I kind of want like an up-tempo kind of game. That is kind of my game and also the way the players get along, because I don't want to be with a team, where the players argue a lot. All my teams, we all get along super well and that is kind of a must for me, so I can get along with my teammates and it helps to be on the court with people who you get along with and know very well. .

Gopher Hole: You had a great summer. How pleased were you with how well things went AAU-wise?

Race Thompson: It was really, really successful. I wish we could have won the championship, of course, but it was great summer with the D1 guys, the 17's, 16U's and 15U's. It was a great summer. A successful summer, for sure.

make it happen! gotta land race.

"I mean, I didn't get a chance to talk to the coaches that much because there were younger players that they were recruiting pretty hard."

That seems a bit odd

"I mean, I didn't get a chance to talk to the coaches that much because there were younger players that they were recruiting pretty hard."

That seems a bit odd

I think Matthew Hurt was at that game, but I still feel like the coaches wouldn't spend all their time buttering him up.

Top Bottom