PiPress: After Duquesne shooting, Gophers coach Richard Pitino leaves his phone on

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

Saturday marks a 10-year anniversary for Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino.

It was the last time he turned his phone off before bed.

Pitino, then an assistant coach at Duquesne University, woke up in the wee hours of the morning on Sept. 17, 2006, to pounding on the door of his townhome in Pittsburgh.

He woke up and went downstairs to find Anthony Serro, Duquesne’s director of basketball operations, at the door.

“He’s like, ‘You’ve got to get down to campus,’ ” Pitino said. “I said, ‘What the hell happened?’ And he told me, ‘Five of our players have been shot.’ ”

“That was about as surreal a moment as I’ve ever had in my life.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/1...ers-coach-richard-pitino-leaves-his-phone-on/

Go Gophers!!

Powerful Stuff

per Jace:

Saturday marks a 10-year anniversary for Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino.

It was the last time he turned his phone off before bed.

Pitino, then an assistant coach at Duquesne University, woke up in the wee hours of the morning on Sept. 17, 2006, to pounding on the door of his townhome in Pittsburgh.

He woke up and went downstairs to find Anthony Serro, Duquesne’s director of basketball operations, at the door.

“He’s like, ‘You’ve got to get down to campus,’ ” Pitino said. “I said, ‘What the hell happened?’ And he told me, ‘Five of our players have been shot.’ ”

“That was about as surreal a moment as I’ve ever had in my life.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/1...ers-coach-richard-pitino-leaves-his-phone-on/

Go Gophers!!

Not too sure any coach has had to deal with more adversity and are you kidding me circumstances than Richard Pitino in his basketball coaching career. I don't know if it's this year but I am very confident he has a season on his horizon that is storybook in a positive way. He continues to persevere. I see a solid guy in Richard. Obviously, rooting for him and the Gophers to have an awesome year.

Top Bottom