All Things Jamir Harris - Update: Harris is GOLDEN

We don't need a big man for 2017-18, we need one for 2018-19, so adding a grad transfer in spring wouldn't do much good. I think another regular transfer with 3 years to play 2 wouldn't be bad idea in spring. He can sit out while Lynch and Konate run the 5 as seniors, practice with the team, and then start in 2018.

I'd be fine with that, or if one of the two big's in 2018 class out of Minnesota projects to be a day one contributor (not star) AND Curry is showing the ability to log 20+ minutes at the 4 and 5 slots then I'd be comfortable with the flexibility Pitino would have on the roster.

You've got to think being a home town kid looking at immediately available playing time has got to be an attractive sell story.

Spend 6 miutes of your life..............

,,,,watchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAZI0qThz8

watching this tape and see if you're not just a little bit impressed!

I think the link is not working due to operator error. It's youtube. Jamir Harris work out phase 2.

I think the link is not working due to operator error. It's youtube. Jamir Harris work out phase 2.

or just go to the very first post in this thread where madtown posted that video, agreed its impressive

per Marcus: In Jamir Harris and Isaiah Washington, Richard Pitino finds Gophers' future backcourt in NYC area

Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino might have secured his future backcourt Wednesday with a verbal commitment from New Jersey guard Jamir Harris.

Harris, a three-star prospect from The Patrick School in Elizabeth, N.J., joined four-star point guard Isaiah Washington out of New York City to close out Minnesota’s 2017 recruiting class.

“It just felt like the place for me,” Harris said. “I went on campus for an unofficial visit [this summer]. I felt so comfortable. Real family-oriented feeling there.”

The Gophers are done with their class of ’17 for now, according to a source close to the situation. Pitino used both of his available scholarships on the NYC-area guards. He can’t comment on specific players until they sign.

Harris planned to make official visits to Minnesota and Stanford this fall, but he received an in-home visit from Pitino and assistant Kimani Young on Tuesday night.

“I’ve had a really good relationship with them throughout the whole recruiting process,” Harris said.

Gophers’ two-player recruiting class is ranked No. 28 nationally, according to 247Sports.com. Last year’s class with Amir Coffey, Michael Hurt and Eric Curry was also in the top 30.

http://www.startribune.com/in-jamir...phers-future-backcourt-in-nyc-area/394368621/

Go Gophers!!

Fantastic! Really great to get a guy who can hit from three.

Happy to get such a hard worker who defends, is accurate from 3, and can dribble the way he does.

Impressive kid. The results are going to happen on the court. Pitino is assembling the most talent we have had in a long, long time. These guys know what they are doing on recruiting. It's a only a matter of time before the local talent starts to hop on the bandwagon.

So good to see positive news regarding recruiting. At times in the past few weeks, the sky seemed to be falling (losing the Mn preps) but things change so fast in this business of college bb recruiting. Good job by the coaching staff with these two guards. Excited to say the least with these two. Add the younger Hurt and maybe Race Thompson in the next couple of years... things will really be looking good.

Recruiting is solid and I have been in Pitino's corner (to a fault some would say) from day 1. That said, it's time to see the results on the court starting in November. RP can recruit...now can he win?

Yes, can these players be tough enough to win close games? Will Pitino bring out the best in them? To be determined very soon...

I had noted this on another thread, but by the time signing day rolls around, this class will rank somewhere in the ballpark of #60 nationally on 247. A lot of other signings will knock us down.

I will also note that I do not have a problem with that.

I have watched a lot of player videos and that was one of the most impressive in terms of showing what he can do on the court. Well done and pretty excited.

True - but with these two guards (if they stay and not screw-up) and if they can sign a big, they will be in good shape. Younger Hurt will also be the major key going down the road. Having said that, I really like this years team going forward as well. It won't take much to see improvement vs last year obviously.

Harris definitely can play backup pg too.

Harris looks like he has the ball handling and athleticism to play the point in addition to off the ball. I would be ecstatic if Hurt came here but he is looking more and more like a one and done going to a Kansas or Duke. Either way the next group of classes all have excellent depth. I am glad to see us making a dent in the new jersey h school area for guards. They are very tough penetrators with no fear. Harris looks like a shooter with great form too.

True - but with these two guards (if they stay and not screw-up) and if they can sign a big, they will be in good shape. Younger Hurt will also be the major key going down the road. Having said that, I really like this years team going forward as well. It won't take much to see improvement vs last year obviously.

I had noted this on another thread, but by the time signing day rolls around, this class will rank somewhere in the ballpark of #60 nationally on 247. A lot of other signings will knock us down.

I will also note that I do not have a problem with that.

I agree it'll be somewhere between 50-60, depending on what other programs do and where Harris and Washington ultimately grade out in the final rankings, which I agree is fine, were not going to rate as high with only two recruits,what is impressive is it will probably still rate higher than our six man 2014 class. We brought in two quality players at a positions of need, we will have depth and balance every position in 17-18. Really liked that Harris work out video, I know it's edited to only show the best parts, but I like that he can drive with both hands and it looks like he has long arms so he will play bigger on defense than his 6'2" frame

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So I've been doing a lot of research on Jamir and have watched 3-4 full games on youtube that I found of him and felt like i have a much better feel for him as a player than before. I hadn't been too interested in learning about him up until now. Heres what I've seen and what I found out:

As of January 6th, he is his team's leading scorer averaging over 18PPG, over 4 more than the next highest guy on his team. This is with 7 other D1 guys on the team including a composite top 15 player in the country, #2 center and Kentucky commit Nick Richards, point guard Jordan Walker who is a member of Isaiah's Jelly Fam, a top 100 junior PF, a senior guard committed to Monmouth, two backup bigs both committed to Tulane, and a sophomore guard who has an offer from Minnesota and a few other places. That's pretty impressive to be the leading scorer among that group of guys.

Here's an article/list about it

http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2017/01/meet_the_patrick_school_basket_1.html#0

So this is what I gathered from watching him and my explanation as to why he isn't ranked higher than what he is. His shooting ability is definitely as advertised. He may very well be one of the best shooters in the country and his range is absolutely out of the gym. About half of his 3's are from NBA range. Some of his makes were contested with a hand in his face and he has a quick release. Can punish you if you go under the screens.

That being said, he isn't nearly as fast or quick as I would have thought a 6-2/6-1 guard would be. Several times he tried to drive past his defender but they managed to stay with him. His handle isn't as good as I would hope for a 6-2/6-1 and he turned it over a few times because of this in the games that I watched. His lateral quickness on D is mediocre as well and there where a few times when his opponent beat him albeit very good opponents. When he did manage to stay in front of his opponents and force a shot, his length did nothing to disrupt the shot which is excepted. There were also a few times when he drove the paint or was in transition but didn't finish. In fact I only saw him make 2 non 3 point FG's in the 3-4 games I watched. He doesn't seem to have point guard skills and is most certainly not a combo guard. If anybody tells you he is a combo guard, they are basing it 100% off his height and not his skill set.

Bottom line: I do think his 3 point shooting will get himself a role on next year's team and he will have a much bigger offensive impact than what Hurt and Gilbert provided last year. I wouldn't be surprised though if he struggled even more on D than Hurt did though in fact I might be expecting it. Hurt didn't have great foot speed but his 6-7 frame could at least contest shots, something that Harris doesn't have.

I'll post the games that I watched in my next post.

These are condensed versions of the full game so it takes about 40 minutes to watch, super convenient. He doesn't touch the ball every offensive possession so sometimes it gets boring and he may go for a few possessions without getting a shot off.

This one was against Trevon Duval, the #1 PG in the country. They guarded each other for most of the game. If you get bored, wait till the second half where it gets better

Die hard gopher, thanks for watching. I watched one game and saw the same thing ie he can shoot 3's (love to know his stats on 3's tho) but he can't handle exceptionally and he can't defend. The worst, he's not quick, which is going to make learning to defend very difficult. He is also not the energy bunny either to help compensate, ala Hague for instance. Die hard gopher, In the Big Ten if he can't defend he can't play (unless we become a 2-3 zone team to cover his shortcomings)..Gilbert and Hurt showed that defensively they were not going stop anybody. Hurt gets blown by and Gilbert just got spun around the whole possession. So, they couldn't play. Especially, once teams further use scouting in the Big Ten season. So, hopefully Richard has a plan because Jamir's defensive ability worries me. Getting quicker doesn't happen over night. You don't want more people challenging Reggie for foul opportunities. Reggie is nice to have but it can't be a highway to the hoop when perimeter defenders get beat every time.

I get what your saying about footspeed. At the D1 level it can be a difference maker. I also know that some players have a shooting touch that is innate and that overcomes a lot of deficiencies. Bronson Koenig was an average defender, not real quick, and not a spectacular ball handler, but he was a heck of a shooter.

Die hard gopher, thanks for watching. I watched one game and saw the same thing ie he can shoot 3's (love to know his stats on 3's tho) but he can't handle exceptionally and he can't defend. The worst, he's not quick, which is going to make learning to defend very difficult. He is also not the energy bunny either to help compensate, ala Hague for instance. Die hard gopher, In the Big Ten if he can't defend he can't play (unless we become a 2-3 zone team to cover his shortcomings)..Gilbert and Hurt showed that defensively they were not going stop anybody. Hurt gets blown by and Gilbert just got spun around the whole possession. So, they couldn't play. Especially, once teams further use scouting in the Big Ten season. So, hopefully Richard has a plan because Jamir's defensive ability worries me. Getting quicker doesn't happen over night. You don't want more people challenging Reggie for foul opportunities. Reggie is nice to have but it can't be a highway to the hoop when perimeter defenders get beat every time.

Or, maybe you are just a tad too negative. According to you, he shouldn't bother coming to campus.

Or, maybe you are just a tad too negative. According to you, he shouldn't bother coming to campus.

Or maybe he turns into Bronson Koenig. Ya, pretty close according to me: "I hope Richard has a plan because Jamir's defensive ability worries me."

If you're suggesting someone shouldn't be so extreme you shouldn't match their level of hyperbole in your request...

Harris is considered by the experts to be one of the best shooters in the country & an elite defender. His handle is adequate, but he's on the short side. He's not an immediate impact guy, but the combination of our lack of depth, along with his shooting & defense may get him on the court sooner rather than later. He should be a very good four year player for us.

Harris is considered by the experts to be one of the best shooters in the country & an elite defender. His handle is adequate, but he's on the short side. He's not an immediate impact guy, but the combination of our lack of depth, along with his shooting & defense may get him on the court sooner rather than later. He should be a very good four year player for us.

I have no idea how good of a defender he is, but this is the first I've heard this. Everything I've read elsewhere is that his defense is a weakness. If he is both an elite shooter and an elite defender, how would he not immediately make an impact?

Top Bottom