All Things Hasahn French - Update: Visit Canceled After Jamir Commits

Marquette is in the Big East.

I'm assuming Marquette plans on taking more than one big so they are still in play even with John committing?

I'm assuming Marquette plans on taking more than one big so they are still in play even with John committing?

Yes. Only have two guys on the roster over 6'6" and one is a senior. They need bigs badly

As a Marquette alum, I don't count the Big East as a power conference any longer. For me it's 5 conferences: B1G, Big12, SEC, Pac-12, and ACC.

That's a strange thought, considering that the Big East had 5 bids last year (more than the SEC), had 4 teams advance to the second round (T-2nd with the Big Ten) and had, you know, the National Champion.

And in 2015, they had 6 bids (tied for 3rd) and had 4 teams win their opening game (again tied for 3rd).

There's no credible argument to be made that the Big East isn't a power conference, but the SEC is. Just a bizarre take.

Power 5 in football doesn't mean Power 5 in basketball.

Football: SEC, B1G, ACC, Big 12, PAC 10

Basketball: ACC, B1G, Big 12, Big East, Kentucky (I could make a good argument that the Big East has a higher power index than both the SEC and the Pac 10.)

The Big East still has a lot going for it.

per Marcus: Gophers to host top remaining 2017 PF target Hasahn French this week

It's been a week since the Gophers turned most of their attention toward filling their 2017 class frontcourt need with Commonwealth Academy (Mass.) power forward Hasahn French.

French, who is scheduled to arrive for an official visit to Minnesota on Friday, is now the top priority for Minnesota coach Richard Pitino after Champlin Park senior Theo John informed the Gophers last Monday he would be committing to Marquette.

Pitino and assistant Kimani Young actually watched French at his high school open gym in Massachusetts last Tuesday, the same day John announced his college decision at Champlin Park. They clearly moved on to a player who could be another key piece to Minnesota's 2017 recruiting class, joining four-star St. Raymond's (N.Y.) point guard Isaiah Washington.

French narrowed his list of schools Friday to Marquette, Massachusetts, Minnesota, VCU, Saint Louis and UNLV. So far he's made an official visit to Marquette. He has two more trips scheduled with the Gophers and Saint Louis (Sept. 30). He's already taken unofficials to VCU and UMass.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-pf-target-hasahn-french-this-week/394007181/

Go Gophers!!

Power 5 in football doesn't mean Power 5 in basketball.

Football: SEC, B1G, ACC, Big 12, PAC 10

Basketball: ACC, B1G, Big 12, Big East, Kentucky (I could make a good argument that the Big East has a higher power index than both the SEC and the Pac 10.)

The Big East still has a lot going for it.

I'll take it even further the AAC is just as good as the PAC 12 and SEC

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VCU is in French's final six, so if they get a commitment from this guy, it can only help our chances.

I wonder if this is in reference to Harris' commitment?

I think if French is still willing to visit i like our chances.Although the Harris commitment makes me wonder why they didn't push harder for Davidson

I guess this answers it for us.

I sure hope they are planning on sending someone packing so we can sign French.

Unfortunate. I think the odds of both Diedhou and Konate being on the roster after this year are slim.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Marcus should know better than that. Historical patterns suggest at least one early departure after the season. Here's hoping the staff is keeping their eyes open for Juco centers this season. I would be willing to bet a lot that this class is not "done."

Marcus should know better than that. Historical patterns suggest at least one early departure after the season. Here's hoping the staff is keeping their eyes open for Juco centers this season. I would be willing to bet a lot that this class is not "done."

+1. And this is less than 24 hours after Marcus Tweeted that Pitino would take all 3 (Washington, Harris and French), so that's quite an about-face.

+1. And this is less than 24 hours after Marcus Tweeted that Pitino would take all 3 (Washington, Harris and French), so that's quite an about-face.

I agree, but it could have been French who canceled the visit, not Pitino. If that were the case then Marcus' statement would still be accurate.

I think if French is still willing to visit i like our chances.Although the Harris commitment makes me wonder why they didn't push harder for Davidson

Maybe Harris is a better shooter and/or better defender. Who knows.

Maybe Harris is a better shooter and/or better defender. Who knows.

Maybe and I don't mean it as a knock on Harris, he's been playing varsity since his freshman year at one of the best high school programs in the country, so I think we may be getting a guy who is a bit underrated. It just seemed like the narrative with Davidson was he's more of a combo guard and doesn't fir the system and now we are taking a combo guard. May be it was timing, perhaps if Davidson was still on the board he would've been a priority, oh well

Harris is an easier last name to spell/remember, compared to Davison. Also, I think RJ said Harris is much more athletic than Davison, thus he'll probably be a better defender.

Maybe and I don't mean it as a knock on Harris, he's been playing varsity since his freshman year at one of the best high school programs in the country, so I think we may be getting a guy who is a bit underrated. It just seemed like the narrative with Davidson was he's more of a combo guard and doesn't fir the system and now we are taking a combo guard. May be it was timing, perhaps if Davidson was still on the board he would've been a priority, oh well

Yes Davison was a combo guard and people, including myself, didn't think he was a great fit here, but that wasn't BECAUSE he was a combo guard. He just happens to be one. People thought he wasn't a great fit because you need quicker guys to play the type of pressure defense and uptempo offense that Pitino wants to play, and that doesn't describe Davison at all. I know Pitino said we won't play that way much this year, but I don't see that as a long term change.

Yes Davison was a combo guard and people, including myself, didn't think he was a great fit here, but that wasn't BECAUSE he was a combo guard. He just happens to be one. People thought he wasn't a great fit because you need quicker guys to play the type of pressure defense and uptempo offense that Pitino wants to play, and that doesn't describe Davison at all. I know Pitino said we won't play that way much this year, but I don't see that as a long term change.

All seem like great points, assuming Harris can stroke it from downtown if he's a quicker, more athletic defender than I am on board. He does come from very good high school program that turns out basketball players the way Benilde and St. Thomas turn out hockey players, so I am sure he's well coached and use to playing in big time games

All seem like great points, assuming Harris can stroke it from downtown if he's a quicker, more athletic defender than I am on board. He does come from very good high school program that turns out basketball players the way Benilde and St. Thomas turn out hockey players, so I am sure he's well coached and use to playing in big time games

I think I'd feel better if you said Roseau and Warroad but that probably dates me!

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but here is how Davison and Harris shot from 3 in the EYBL for comparison.

Harris: 57/148 = 38.5%
Davison: 46/118 = 39%

This was in 21 games. Davison was slightly more efficient while Harris had more volume.

Davison shot 30.4% the year before, so hard to say whether he improved or if it was just a good year for him. Didn't see Harris' stats from last year.

I wonder why Pitino offered Davison if he was not a good fit? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom