All Things Hasahn French - Update: Visit Canceled After Jamir Commits

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Since it seems like our second (and final commit for the fall) will be either Theo John or Hasahn French...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems like a strong rebounder. Definitely plays physically and would add some toughness to our front court. His handle is a nice bonus. I could see Pitino going with athletic PF's instead of a Center if we get French. A primary PF/C rotation of Murphy, Curry, and French could be decent.

It does seem like its coming down to French and John. Since French is also visiting Marquette I imagine we will get one and they will get the other.

not 1 dunk in either of those vids....can he jump?

From ESPN

Strengths:
French is a throwback style power forward with a strong body and physical style. He has a long history of being strong and powerful and because he was an early bloomer physically, some people anticipated he might top out early, but to his credit he's continued to develop his skill set and expand his game and evolved into a high-major prospect as a result. He plays very hard, especially in the paint, where he can elevate through contact to rebound and finish plays. He's developed into a consistent mid-range shooter and can also put the ball on the floor for one or two bounces in straight lines.

Weaknesses:
He's slightly undersized to play the power forward spot at the highest levels, and much more comfortable inside of 12-15 feet than he is out to the arc. With his physical tools already maxed out, he needs to maintain his commitment to developing his skill set, establishing a go-to move with his back to the basket and become a threat beyond the mid-range area.

Bottom Line:
He's strong, physical, athletic and committed to getting better and so the bottom line is that he's just productive and a better long-term prospect than most typically give him credit for.

not 1 dunk in either of those vids....can he jump?

Sounds like an average athlete at 6-7 230lbs. Doesn't jump out of the gym but works his tale off. Boxes out and plays physical and can finish. Wiling to do the dirty work.

Also of note Hasahn played next to Mohammed Bamba in the EYBL and still managed to pull down 7.5 rpg. Bamba was one of the leading rebounders on the circuit, so I'm sure he took some rebounds away from French. Bottom line, French is a very good rebounder.

Compare that to Theo who averaged 5rpg and was the main big man for Howard Pulley. There is a reason Theo fell in the rankings. He didn't preform as expected in the EYBL. Theo is still a solid prospect, but Hasahn out preformed him this summer.

Looks like he knows how to use his body in both rebounding and offensively, a la Jordan Murphy. Could become a rebounding machine in college with some work. We could do a lot worse than Hasahn French.

He can box out with that look!

We would be lucky to get French. He has about 25 other offers, though, so it's not a given just because John went to Marquette. Especially since other schools are going to be focusing on their plan B now, going down the list. Need to get French on campus asap.

He is scheduled for the 23rd of September.

Kid looks very talented! If we land this kid I don't know how Pitino could do any better in this class.

Kid looks very talented! If we land this kid I don't know how Pitino could do any better in this class.

I mean getting Jericho Sims would have been better. If we got Sims to go with Washington, I would have zero complaints about this class. Washington and French would still be a good one though, with the caveat that it will lead to complaints about not taking in-state recruits. Buckyville has already convinced themselves that the Washington commitment will end up being a net negative for our program.

Hard to say we could do better. Unless you are a GopherHole negative nancy like 80% of us...

Nice video. French is 4 Star on ESPN. This video really shows a kid with his head on straight... I would LOVE to have French and Washington. That would be a fabulous class coming off an 8 win or 18 win season.

One crystal ball from 247 says Gophers now.

With Theo John set to go to Marquette, I like Pitino's chances of landing French.

He should be recruiting him harder than anyone else at this point. I hope his visit goes well The football team's game is against Colorado State. Hope we have a good crowd.

Q&A posted yesterday from the Journal Sentinel with French:

In terms of your game, how would you describe yourself?

"I'd say I'm an electrifying player, a player that you would be excited to watch on defense and offense. Just a tough guy, a guy that loves to win, does anything to make his team succeed."

What kind of timetable do you have for making a decision? Do you want to schedule any more official visits in addition to the ones you have planned for Minnesota and Saint Louis?

"I'll be taking all five officials. Probably I'll try to make sure I schedule all five and then I'll go from there seeing if I want to commit for the early signing period or the late signing period. Most like it will be the early."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...hasahn-french-talks-visit-marquette/90331792/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom