Isaiah Washington committed to GOPHERS!!!

Actually if u listened to Pitino at the state fair he said he will play more like his first year pressing. He said they couldn't last year because he couldn't play king at the front of the press.

Amir at the front of the press will work very nice.

Washington is quickly becoming my favorite with his recruiting help on French!

From what I recall, he said we will play less uptempo this season because of personnel, I don't think he said it will be a permanent thing. Once Washington is on the team I would imagine we will be playing uptempo.

Not sure if that makes sense. Personnel will basically be the same this year as it will be Washington's freshman year. Basically replacing Springs with Washington and Haugh (who doesn't play anyways) with whoever else we sign. I could see that logic if there was going to be major roster turnover, but there won't be. And for the record, I'm all for designing your playing style around your personnel so I don't think it is a bad thing that we slow it down a little bit if that is what makes sense with the players we have. I don't really care what it looks like as long as we win.

I am freaking jacked that Washington is coming to the U. He seems like a driven kid who wants to make his mark. Love the attitude and aggressiveness.

Not sure if that makes sense. Personnel will basically be the same this year as it will be Washington's freshman year. Basically replacing Springs with Washington and Haugh (who doesn't play anyways) with whoever else we sign. I could see that logic if there was going to be major roster turnover, but there won't be. And for the record, I'm all for designing your playing style around your personnel so I don't think it is a bad thing that we slow it down a little bit if that is what makes sense with the players we have. I don't really care what it looks like as long as we win.

I'll believe when I see it, with Mason, McBrayer, Fitzpatrick, Coffey, Murphy in the mix I have to believe they are going to run a bit more than they did last year and with Lynch rebounding it is going to be that much more effective.

I am freaking jacked that Washington is coming to the U. He seems like a driven kid who wants to make his mark. Love the attitude and aggressiveness.

+1 He has an attitude like I see in Coffey and Hurt: "Let's come and be the start of building something great..." I don't blame a kid for wanting to be part of something that is already on the roll, but it is a special attitude that wants to build it. And it appears that Washington has ability to back it up, considering it sounds like he got the better of a top 10 PG in a recent tournament while scoring 36 points in the game.

Pitino likes to have a lightning quick point guard to pressure whoever is bringing the ball up the court and a long/athletic power forward to guard the inbounder and trap. We don't have that extra quick point guard on the roster after Dorsey left, but we will once Washington is here. That's the difference.

+1 He has an attitude like I see in Coffey and Hurt: "Let's come and be the start of building something great..." I don't blame a kid for wanting to be part of something that is already on the roll, but it is a special attitude that wants to build it. And it appears that Washington has ability to back it up, considering it sounds like he got the better of a top 10 PG in a recent tournament while scoring 36 points in the game.

Just to add emphasis here - the PG is Trevon Duval and he is the # 5 overall, and # 1 PG prospect in 2017 class. There were a few sequences on offence where he made him look a bit silly, and he also stayed in front and played really tough d on him even though he's giving up a solid 3 inches and probably 20 lbs. Tough kid.

Pitino likes to have a lightning quick point guard to pressure whoever is bringing the ball up the court and a long/athletic power forward to guard the inbounder and trap. We don't have that extra quick point guard on the roster after Dorsey left, but we will once Washington is here. That's the difference.

Guess I disagree that we don't have a guy on the roster who can do that right now. I wouldn't call him "lightning quick", but I love the way Dupree defends on the ball and I think his length can make up for him being pretty quick instead of lightning quick. Plus his length is better for trapping. But I'm excited to see what Washington can do as well

Guess I disagree that we don't have a guy on the roster who can do that right now. I wouldn't call him "lightning quick", but I love the way Dupree defends on the ball and I think his length can make up for him being pretty quick instead of lightning quick. Plus his length is better for trapping. But I'm excited to see what Washington can do as well

I'm not saying we don't have the guys who can do it, that's just how I interpreted what Pitino said. Maybe it has more to do with our depth at PG. He probably likes to have 2+ point guards who he is really confident in in the press so he can rotate them and keep them fresh. We certainly don't have the greatest depth at PG this season.

It will be nice to have him against the press. We haven't had many guys with dribbling skills like him in the past decade.

per Marcus: In Jamir Harris and Isaiah Washington, Richard Pitino finds Gophers' future backcourt in NYC area

Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino might have secured his future backcourt Wednesday with a verbal commitment from New Jersey guard Jamir Harris.

Harris, a three-star prospect from The Patrick School in Elizabeth, N.J., joined four-star point guard Isaiah Washington out of New York City to close out Minnesota’s 2017 recruiting class.

“It just felt like the place for me,” Harris said. “I went on campus for an unofficial visit [this summer]. I felt so comfortable. Real family-oriented feeling there.”

The Gophers are done with their class of ’17 for now, according to a source close to the situation. Pitino used both of his available scholarships on the NYC-area guards. He can’t comment on specific players until they sign.

Harris planned to make official visits to Minnesota and Stanford this fall, but he received an in-home visit from Pitino and assistant Kimani Young on Tuesday night.

“I’ve had a really good relationship with them throughout the whole recruiting process,” Harris said.

Gophers’ two-player recruiting class is ranked No. 28 nationally, according to 247Sports.com. Last year’s class with Amir Coffey, Michael Hurt and Eric Curry was also in the top 30.

http://www.startribune.com/in-jamir...phers-future-backcourt-in-nyc-area/394368621/

Go Gophers!!

Harris must have really liked our staff and school. Kind of crazy he committed before he took an official here or to Stanford. Most kids would look forward to taking an official to Stanford even if they weren't planning on going there. French's visit was obviously bothering him and he decided to commit while he still could. Interesting to look at his decision making compared to Mckinley's.

per Marcus: In Jamir Harris and Isaiah Washington, Richard Pitino finds Gophers' future backcourt in NYC area

Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino might have secured his future backcourt Wednesday with a verbal commitment from New Jersey guard Jamir Harris.

Harris, a three-star prospect from The Patrick School in Elizabeth, N.J., joined four-star point guard Isaiah Washington out of New York City to close out Minnesota’s 2017 recruiting class.

“It just felt like the place for me,” Harris said. “I went on campus for an unofficial visit [this summer]. I felt so comfortable. Real family-oriented feeling there.”

The Gophers are done with their class of ’17 for now, according to a source close to the situation. Pitino used both of his available scholarships on the NYC-area guards. He can’t comment on specific players until they sign.

Harris planned to make official visits to Minnesota and Stanford this fall, but he received an in-home visit from Pitino and assistant Kimani Young on Tuesday night.

“I’ve had a really good relationship with them throughout the whole recruiting process,” Harris said.

Gophers’ two-player recruiting class is ranked No. 28 nationally, according to 247Sports.com. Last year’s class with Amir Coffey, Michael Hurt and Eric Curry was also in the top 30.

http://www.startribune.com/in-jamir...phers-future-backcourt-in-nyc-area/394368621/

Go Gophers!!

For clarity, about 60% of the big time recruits haven't committed yet. Couple that with the assured "Minnesota commit" drop in Washington'a rank and I would imagine we'ok be ranked closer to #40 all said and done.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure how the point system works, but we have 41 points on 247 right now. That would drop us to #55-65 when recruiting ends. That's where 41 points landed the past 3 years before this. I think we did a lot better than that, FWIW.

I have to think our chances with French were really strong considering he was set to visit this weekend and had a lot of positive vibes coming in. I was hoping we would get him to add some size in two years. I knew Harris was set to vist later after French. To me it appears that Pitino really wanted Harris more. Went out to see him a few days before French visits. I assume he told him take the spot now or more than likely French takes it this weekend. Who knows but from that angle it appears Pitino got his guy. I really was glad French had his visit first. It appears Pitino wanted Harris more

Harris must have really liked our staff and school. Kind of crazy he committed before he took an official here or to Stanford. Most kids would look forward to taking an official to Stanford even if they weren't planning on going there. French's visit was obviously bothering him and he decided to commit while he still could. Interesting to look at his decision making compared to Mckinley's.

Harris did take an unofficial visit here over the summer. Plus I think we offered him over a year ago, and he seems to like our coaches. I agree that committing before the official is fairly uncommon though.

I have to think our chances with French were really strong considering he was set to visit this weekend and had a lot of positive vibes coming in. I was hoping we would get him to add some size in two years. I knew Harris was set to vist later after French. To me it appears that Pitino really wanted Harris more. Went out to see him a few days before French visits. I assume he told him take the spot now or more than likely French takes it this weekend. Who knows but from that angle it appears Pitino got his guy. I really was glad French had his visit first. It appears Pitino wanted Harris more

I thought the same thing. I also wonder if the Washington commitment played out the same way. It seemed like his visit was last minute too and trumped the Wright announcement. Seems like Pitino potentially got his first two realistic choices?

Holy hell, did you see that move at 0:55 when he bounced it off the defender's head, then kept his dribble? That was insane! I can't tell you how badly I hope he does that off Davison or some other B1G guard.

Holy hell, did you see that move at 0:55 when he bounced it off the defender's head, then kept his dribble? That was insane! I can't tell you how badly I hope he does that off Davison or some other B1G guard.

I get the sentiment, but no way you're pulling that off in against B10 competition lol. Really cool video, he seems to have a lot of character. Really looking forward to having a PG with his elite level ball handling / play making ability.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Please promise me that Isaiah isn't part of a package deal with the megaphone guy. Can't imagine that guy in Williams arena. &#55357;&#56883;

It looks like washington and hamidou diallo are good friends. We were first in on his recruiting if i remember right. Maybe we get diallo in a package deal? Then nab hurt and mix in some coffey and we can see it all come together. Anyone know about where diallo is in his recruitment?

It looks like washington and hamidou diallo are good friends. We were first in on his recruiting if i remember right. Maybe we get diallo in a package deal? Then nab hurt and mix in some coffey and we can see it all come together. Anyone know about where diallo is in his recruitment?

Looks like you are living up to you're username, because we have absolutely no shot at Diallo. Kentucky is the favorite.

would be amazing if he doinked it off that loser Ethan Happ's face this year.

Top Bottom