All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Of course i say that about UVA recruits and transfers. I just like their evals better. No big deal. First we have to see what year they actually play, then how they play and of course what they win. If my posts are so worthless to you that you think mocking them why would you even take the time to read them.

I get nervous when we seem to have a recruit in hand and it takes longer than we think.. we tend to lose them to other programs as they look around... hope its not true with the latest two kids...

I get nervous when we seem to have a recruit in hand and it takes longer than we think.. we tend to lose them to other programs as they look around... hope its not true with the latest two kids...
Happens all over and that is why i love the coaches that identify and offer early and then are first come first serve. One thing i do like about Pitino is they are always recruiting. It is really tough to recruit from behind because without someone believing early you wait and not only miss guys but fall further behind on the next class not only in relationship building but timing and needs. When your not winning it makes it all even more difficult.

Of course i say that about UVA recruits and transfers. I just like their evals better. No big deal. First we have to see what year they actually play, then how they play and of course what they win. If my posts are so worthless to you that you think mocking them why would you even take the time to read them.

I just think it was an unnecessary comment. And you responded directly to my comment. I got a notification. That's why I read it.

Bottom line is people were VERY excited after we got Robbins and Johnson. For some reason after we "lost" Peterson, the usual skeptics started being more outspoken. This next season does NOT hinge on Peterson and never was going to.

I just think it was an unnecessary comment. And you responded directly to my comment. I got a notification. That's why I read it.

Bottom line is people were VERY excited after we got Robbins and Johnson. For some reason after we "lost" Peterson, the usual skeptics started being more outspoken. This next season does NOT hinge on Peterson and never was going to.
Agree. I think the positive vibe on the transfers is a good thing.

Totally agree on this. I was never too high on Peterson and maybe he'll be a good player for USC, but Robbins and Johnson should be a lot more impactful for us. Also think Gach and the Turkish kid would both be better gets than Peterson.

Things are good at this point with this class.

party pooper's tend to temper message board banter about recruits with the we will know more after the fact narrative ...

This whole offseason is embarrassing for a Big Ten basketball program. The only thing more embarrassing is reading posts in here how some kids might change their mind and come to the U. ‘Maybe suggscarlsonwalton blah blah’
I wouldn't consider Robbins and Johnson embarrassing. If we end up with multiple open scholarships I'll be disappointed. Time will tell on that. If we end up with one open scholly, we can throw it at Conroy like we did last year with Rudrud and hit the ground running in 2021.

I wouldn't consider Robbins and Johnson embarrassing. If we end up with multiple open scholarships I'll be disappointed. Time will tell on that. If we end up with one open scholly, we can throw it at Conroy like we did last year with Rudrud and hit the ground running in 2021.
2020-21 both leave some recruits leary of the lack of success and of stability.

2020-21 both leave some recruits leary of the lack of success and of stability.
C'mon. We know we're not Duke, we know we're not Kentucky, and so does everyone else. If only "successful" programs landed players, blue bloods would have rosters of 100 and everyone else would barely be able to roll out a starting lineup.

Good players can choose to go to mediocre programs if they decide they want to try to do something special. Not everyone goes to the U of M to play basketball because they got passed up by the blue bloods, UVa, or UW.

The vast majority of DI programs have issues of sustained lack of success. I do get the stability part though. It's going to be the bigger issue. We all know Pitino is on thin ice.

C'mon. We know we're not Duke, we know we're not Kentucky, and so does everyone else. If only "successful" programs landed players, blue bloods would have rosters of 100 and everyone else would barely be able to roll out a starting lineup.

Good players can choose to go to mediocre programs if they decide they want to try to do something special. Not everyone goes to the U of M to play basketball because they got passed up by the blue bloods, UVa, or UW.

The vast majority of DI programs have issues of sustained lack of success. I do get the stability part though. It's going to be the bigger issue. We all know Pitino is on thin ice.
Agree. Have posted dozens of times of the great opportunity here. Those programs that got great, the non blue bloods built it without highly rated recruits , they had a eye for who could get it done. Then over time they got better talent but still kids that were not highly ranked until they committed. Really wonderful college players go to schools all over,great players even pick schools that do not win at the level of UVA or Nova or UW. Louisville, UCLA, Arizona get classes with far better rankings but do not win like that. There is zero excuse to not win here at the UW level.

Agree. Have posted dozens of times of the great opportunity here. Those programs that got great, the non blue bloods built it without highly rated recruits , they had a eye for who could get it done. Then over time they got better talent but still kids that were not highly ranked until they committed. Really wonderful college players go to schools all over,great players even pick schools that do not win at the level of UVA or Nova or UW. Louisville, UCLA, Arizona get classes with far better rankings but do not win like that. There is zero excuse to not win here at the UW level.
UW level? That's a low bar. I'm hoping for much better than that. But, you can dream of that low bar if you wish.

UW level? That's a low bar. I'm hoping for much better than that. But, you can dream of that low bar if you wish.
Awesome if you think that is a low bar. Quite frequently people here are thrilled at near .500 seasons. My dreams are to surpass that level my hopes are to finish ahead of them just once under pitino.

haven’t they made the tournament roughly 19 of the last 20 years or something?

In the words of Bobby Knight. "Did you win the championship? If not, then you ain't done sh!t!!!"
Knight also stressed winning the conference with the firm belief that it set you up for the tournament. Winning all championships matter. Ask the players, the celebrate like crazy, so do the fans. Win the conference title you won something for life. Players talk about winning the conference their whole life. So do fans and alumni, coaches.

Knight also stressed winning the conference with the firm belief that it set you up for the tournament. Winning all championships matter. Ask the players, the celebrate like crazy, so do the fans. Win the conference title you won something for life. Players talk about winning the conference their whole life. So do fans and alumni, coaches.

I pretty much agree that winning a conference (even a not so great conference) is a big deal because it shows a sustained level of excellence (or at least competitiveness) over the long haul. Winning the NCAA is obviously a huge deal, but the one and done aspect, as we've seen, can eliminate a great team that had that one bad night. We all have them, but normally, we have a way to recover from it and continue on our normal path to success. Bad night (or unlucky one) at the wrong time in the NCAA tournament=sorry, you lost, guess you're not so great.

You don't want to win at the level UW does? They've been like a top-20ish program for a better part of the last 20 years. Realistically (based on recruiting caliber), that's about the ceiling for what Minnesota can be in the college basketball landscape.

I get that we are supposed to think Wisconsin sucks, but if people actually think for a second that they aren't in a really good place in college hoops, they're beyond reasoning with and can't be taken seriously.

Wat8.jpg

You don't want to win at the level UW does? They've been like a top-20ish program for a better part of the last 20 years. Realistically (based on recruiting caliber), that's about the ceiling for what Minnesota can be in the college basketball landscape.

I get that we are supposed to think Wisconsin sucks, but if people actually think for a second that they aren't in a really good place in college hoops, they're beyond reasoning with and can't be taken seriously.
As you implied, that is a incredibly elite level and one we can reach.

Low bar? How many conference titles in the past 20 years? How many final fours? How many tourney appearances? I hate UW also, but the have been one of, if not the most consistent team in the entire NCAA.

So which walk-ons get scholarships if it comes down to it?

If that happens, it is grounds for immediate termination.

Giving schollies to kids who don’t deserve them (from a pure skill standpoint) is clearly not something that should be happening. Even an average Grad Transfer that provides depth and gives you the opportunity to re-evaluate in 9 months is infinitely better outcome. Resorting to this yet another year would be terrible.

Giving schollies to kids who don’t deserve them (from a pure skill standpoint) is clearly not something that should be happening. Even an average Grad Transfer that provides depth and gives you the opportunity to re-evaluate in 9 months is infinitely better outcome. Resorting to this yet another year would be terrible.
Correct!

And certainly looks like where we are headed this year. 2 open scholarships and looks like the transfer waiver is dead so going to have at least 2 if not 3 "dead" roster spots this year.

Top Bottom