Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GopherNuts View Post
    I think if UCLA really wanted him, heís in Westwood right now. All indications are he didnít even get an interview. Hoiberg is clearly someone who wants to coach at the highest level of the game judging by his career moves. I just canít see him deciding on a low ceiling job like Nebraska over other options especially a place like UCLA that sells itself.
    Agreed. If he truly hates recruiting, why would you choose a school that will be ten times harder to recruit to, thus making the recruiting be more of your focus. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Teeth View Post
    Agreed. If he truly hates recruiting, why would you choose a school that will be ten times harder to recruit to, thus making the recruiting be more of your focus. No way.
    Lower expectations. Recruiting expectations would be much higher in Westwood. Same reason Tubby bailed on Lexington and came here, didn't want to work as hard

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Teeth View Post
    He doesn't do a ton of recruiting anyways and that line was taken fully out of context. He'd rather be in his cabin in central mn that sitting in a gym watching AAU is basically what he meant. He also is not a salesman type of guy and doesn't like playing the game. There are few coaches who love that. Fred was just candid about it. Hence why he went the transfer route. Also his asst Matt Abdelbassiah does most of the recruiting.
    Also have you seen how UCLA has worked out for the last two guys who had the job? He doesn't have to even win that much at Nebraska and he'll get a better job. UCLA isn't the giant that most think. Also like I said, making 3 million in Nebraska is comparable to making 6 in LA and they weren't willing to pay that to Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Also like I said, making 3 million in Nebraska is comparable to making 6 in LA and they weren't willing to pay that to Fred.
    There are very few things comparable to living in Nebraska vs LA. LA isnít for everyone but neither is Lincoln...Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Bad luck and trouble, two of my best friends"....Lightnin' Hopkins song about the Gophers

If Hoiberg were fearful of high expectations he would have stayed in Ames the rest of his career instead he not only jumped to the NBA but one of the more scrutinized jobs in the league. As far as recruiting, UCLA falls backwards into top 10-15 classes. The combination of the UCLA brand and Fred’s NBA pedigree would make recruiting a cake walk. You may not think much of UCLA anymore but the players do. We still see them on the final lists of a lot of the highly touted prospects and they typically land a couple every class. The last two guys at UCLA went to Final Fours and a few Sweet 16s. If Hoiberg is viewed as a better coach than those guys, what could he do with the type of talent UCLA gets?

Overall Fred’s clearly a good coach but I think the local enthusiasm for him is not matched by those in the industry (same is the case with Muss). One Sweet 16 in 5 years at Ames isn’t gonna blow anyone away when someone like Bruce Weber has outperformed him at an equally difficult job at K-State.

This thread has turned ugly. Can a new thread be started if you guys want to discuss Fred?

So there are the "big 5" in the 2020 MN class (suggs, garcia, dainja, carlson and walton). Are there any other kids from MN in this class that could end up with an offer from the Gophers?

Quote Originally Posted by BballJones View Post
    This thread has turned ugly. Can a new thread be started if you guys want to discuss Fred?

So there are the "big 5" in the 2020 MN class (suggs, garcia, dainja, carlson and walton). Are there any other kids from MN in this class that could end up with an offer from the Gophers?
    the madsen twins and Hadley are 3 other prospects to keep an eye on....I do wonder what the story is with Hadley. I have seen him a few times and the guy can score. im surprised he hasn't had more offers.

Quote Originally Posted by BballJones View Post

I think that is the list of Gopher targets for 2020. I would think they would be in the following order of importance:

1. Suggs
    2. Garcia
    3. Carlson
    4. Dainja
    5. Walton

Walton is the hanger-on of the group from what I hear, being a bit of a stretch to be included with the other 4. Suggs would be a major coup as he would help establish inroads with Minnehaha.

I'm hoping we can get 2 of these 5, with my favorites being Garcia and Dainja.

This thread is for 2020 Gopher recruiting updates. If you want to discuss Fred Hoiberg we encourage you to start a new thread. Any posts not about Gophers' 2020 recruiting will be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    I think that is the list of Gopher targets for 2020. I would think they would be in the following order of importance:

1. Suggs
    2. Garcia
    3. Carlson
    4. Dainja
    5. Walton

Walton is the hanger-on of the group from what I hear, being a bit of a stretch to be included with the other 4. Suggs would be a major coup as he would help establish inroads with Minnehaha.

Truthfully, it's Suggs and Garcia in another group by themselves in there was any separation. Kerwin is continuing to pick up steam and will get a lot more offers this summer. Dainja playing with Pulley is interesting and will be something to watch with how that helps him.

I think we end up with Dainja and Walton and I would be happy with that.

I think the blue bloods with get on Dawson Garcia after this summers AAU season. I'm don't love his game. . . not super tough, physical and avoids contact. He has a guard mentality in a power forward body, not a great fit for a Big-10 school where you have to be physical.

Quote Originally Posted by abrams View Post

I think the blue bloods with get on Dawson Garcia after this summers AAU season. I'm don't love his game. . . not super tough, physical and avoids contact. He has a guard mentality in a power forward body, not a great fit for a Big-10 school where you have to be physical.
    Sounds perfect for Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post

1. Suggs
    2. Garcia
    3. Carlson
    4. Dainja
    5. Walton

6'6" wing who can stroke it, I'd take Walton in a heartbeat. Be nice to have him and Gabe on the floor at the same time for two years

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Dainja playing with Pulley is interesting and will be something to watch with how that helps him.
    Dainja playing with Pulley is great news for us given our history and connection with them. We always seem to have a fair shot at their guys, which has not been the case with D1/Adidas.

Quote Originally Posted by abrams View Post

This is not true at all.