All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Considering 1/3 of the world's COVID cases are in the U.S. and 2/3 are in the other 197 countries, I would argue that getting the heck out of here would be a good thing.
Incorrect. The US is one of the best places in world to avoid covid in terms of cases per million if you avoid the New York, New Jersey area.

Who else are we rumored to be looking at at this point? Haven't heard much. The Turkey kid sounds good if there's anything there where he's interested. Maybe Peterson still. I like El-Amin but haven't heard anything about that. Not sure who else.

Incorrect. The US is one of the best places in world to avoid covid in terms of cases per million if you avoid the New York, New Jersey area.

Thats like saying Italy is one of the safest places in the world if you avoid Milan and Spain is one of the safest places in the world if you avoid Madrid. Our neighbors in Green Bay hare dealing with one of the highest per capita infection rates in the world.

Carr's not an NBA player. There's no draft stock to improve, all he does in college is delay the amount of years he collects a paycheck over seas. My guess is he starts sooner than later.

Its the sooner part that's the problem since pro leagues are in limbo. Better of staying in school one more year and getting that degree.

Its the sooner part that's the problem since pro leagues are in limbo. Better of staying in school one more year and getting that degree.

Pro ball is more likely to start up than kids going to campus in the fall

Thats like saying Italy is one of the safest places in the world if you avoid Milan and Spain is one of the safest places in the world if you avoid Madrid. Our neighbors in Green Bay hare dealing with one of the highest per capita infection rates in the world.
Ya think USA has close to the population density of Italy and Spain??? LMAO

per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: Now that Rice transfer Drew Peterson has backed out of his commitment, and BJ Greenlee is transferring, who are the potential replacements on Pitino’s radar? – Dan Chang

A: Things appear to be moving quickly toward Pitino having a chance to land 17-year-old Turkish guard David Mutaf. The 6-foot-6, 200-pound native of Istanbul has been talking a lot to the Gophers staff recently -- and even saw a virtual tour of the U. They are looking to add depth at the wing after losing starting junior Payton Willis to transfer last month. Rice transfer Drew Peterson was an ideal replacement with his size and versatility, but he committed Monday to USC and has to sit out. Mutaf, who also has heard from some SEC, Big East and Pac-12 schools, is known for his three-point shooting and ability to create his own shot. His older brother, Cam Maxim Mutaf, is a member of the Turkish senior national basketball team. Mutaf has experience with the junior national team as well. What might give Minnesota an edge is fellow countryman Alihan Demir having enjoyed his senior year here last season after transferring from Drexel. Demir has said good things to Mutaf about the Gophers. If he signs with Minnesota, it will be the second straight class with a recruit from overseas, including German forward Isaiah Ihnen last year.

Go Gophers!!

In cases per million we are in 12th place out of 198 countries...so there are 186 countries better than we are in cases per million. And many of the countries worse than ours are small city states like Andorra, Vatican City, Gibraltar etc. all but one of which have done more testing per capita than we have and therefore have more confirmed cases per capita. Not sure where you get your news...but you have to twist the data to not see we are in last place. The point being that if COVID is a concern for someone who has the potential to play abroad or here, our rates of COVID and testing are not pluses for the U.S. which is less likely to be in a position to even have a season next year compared to some other areas of the world.

Last edited:

In cases per million we are in 12th place out of 198 countries...so there are 186 countries better than we are in cases per million. And many of the countries worse than ours are small city states like Andorra, Vatican City, Gibraltar etc. all but one of which have done more testing per capita than we have and therefore have more confirmed cases per capita. Not sure where you get your news...but you have to twist the data to not see we are in last place. The point being that if COVID is a concern for someone who has the potential to play abroad or here, our rates of COVID and testing are not pluses for the U.S. which is less likely to be in a position to even have a season next year compared to some other areas of the world.
Basketball board- see you over at the OT board

SE Asia is by far the safest places, it is almost non existent there, a doctor in the Mekong Delta in Thailand was astonished that it didn't hit, he was surmising that it has probably been in that area for decades and they just built up immunity to it.

Any rumors/smoke on Gach yet? I’d be worried about his 3 pt percentage.

SE Asia is by far the safest places, it is almost non existent there, a doctor in the Mekong Delta in Thailand was astonished that it didn't hit, he was surmising that it has probably been in that area for decades and they just built up immunity to it.
Which one...the Mekong Delta, or Thailand?

That likely is not the case, because coronaviruses come from bats that live in China. But the Chinese haven't built up immunity to it (obviously).

A coworker of mine was in Thailand early this year, well before the pandemic hit Europe and North America (at least, officially). He said he was amazed at how cautious the entire country seemed to be. Everything was open for business as usual, and people were everywhere as usual (except for the missing Chinese vacationers, under lockdown), but everyone was masked up and every formal place with doors wouldn't let you in without a forehead temp scan. Temp scans setup at the airport as well.

So I would conjecture that they were simply very, very cautious, and it paid off.

Well he's been in Austin. Could be looking to ball closer to home. I'd rather have him then Petersen.
I think I agree. Probably a good bet that his production would translate/grow more than Petersen’s. Someone put out an article this spring looking at players in recent years who transferred up, and really showed how stats (not surprisingly) drop off significantly for all but a few players.

That said, I like bringing in transfers that don’t have redundant skills (unless it’s shooting). I don’t know much about Gach... does he do anything particularly well that no one on our roster currently does well?

This whole offseason is embarrassing for a Big Ten basketball program. The only thing more embarrassing is reading posts in here how some kids might change their mind and come to the U. ‘Maybe suggscarlsonwalton blah blah’

I think I agree. Probably a good bet that his production would translate/grow more than Petersen’s. Someone put out an article this spring looking at players in recent years who transferred up, and really showed how stats (not surprisingly) drop off significantly for all but a few players.

That said, I like bringing in transfers that don’t have redundant skills (unless it’s shooting). I don’t know much about Gach... does he do anything particularly well that no one on our roster currently does well?
Rothstein said 18 or 19 transferred into a major conference and none were double figure scorers or contributed to a conference champion.

This whole offseason is embarrassing for a Big Ten basketball program. The only thing more embarrassing is reading posts in here how some kids might change their mind and come to the U. ‘Maybe suggscarlsonwalton blah blah’

Haha. Yeah definitely embarrassing to land two of the Top 15 transfers in the nation. Oh, the horror!

That likely is not the case, because coronaviruses come from bats that live in China. But the Chinese haven't built up immunity to it (obviously).

A coworker of mine was in Thailand early this year, well before the pandemic hit Europe and North America (at least, officially). He said he was amazed at how cautious the entire country seemed to be. Everything was open for business as usual, and people were everywhere as usual (except for the missing Chinese vacationers, under lockdown), but everyone was masked up and every formal place with doors wouldn't let you in without a forehead temp scan. Temp scans setup at the airport as well.

So I would conjecture that they were simply very, very cautious, and it paid off.

Yea, they are maybe on to something over there. I see a fitness center opened yesterday in Plainview according to Rochester Post Bulletin.. Owner said he really wanted to stay shut but is on the verge of bankruptcy. Suppose he felt like he had nothing to lose and is just hoping the sheriff will let it slide. Tough times.

Time will tell if it turns out that way.

Thats a super deep statement. You can literally say that about any recruit or transfer. But do YOU say that about UVa's recruits??

Also, I'm pretty sure this is a "recruiting" thread. Are we not discussing recruits, their rankings and speculating on their impacts here? Or is this a discussion on your golf career?

Top Bottom