All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

To this point, I would guess about 90% of those 200 guys who declared think they are good enough to play in the nba. Which i guess confidence is good but a lot of them don't grasp the fact of how good/competitive the NBA is and also have outside influences on them pushing. And also im guessing some of them are simply over college and if they have to play overseas to make money thats fine with them. To say guys will come back because they should isnt a good way to put it. Should Carr come back? absolutely, will he? Likely but its not a given.

To this point, I would guess about 90% of those 200 guys who declared think they are good enough to play in the nba. Which i guess confidence is good but a lot of them don't grasp the fact of how good/competitive the NBA is and also have outside influences on them pushing. And also im guessing some of them are simply over college and if they have to play overseas to make money thats fine with them. To say guys will come back because they should isnt a good way to put it. Should Carr come back? absolutely, will he? Likely but its not a given.

This part isn't as true anymore as the NBA has an advisory board that basically tells them if they will get drafted. Most are leaving early now without being drafted because they can 1. Have an extra year of earnings and fell their stock won't increase being under the restrictions and rules of the NCAA and 2. They can always come back and finish their degree for free a lot of times if needed like if they want to pursue college coaching.

This part isn't as true anymore as the NBA has an advisory board that basically tells them if they will get drafted. Most are leaving early now without being drafted because they can 1. Have an extra year of earnings and fell their stock won't increase being under the restrictions and rules of the NCAA and 2. They can always come back and finish their degree for free a lot of times if needed like if they want to pursue college coaching.
That committee might sway a few kids sure, but I promise you there are kids that leave there and get told go back to school kid you need it and absolutely think that the scouts have no idea what they are talking about and that they should go #1 overall. You have to remember, most of these kids are told for YEARS how good they are, Matt Hurt was going #1 overall like 5 years ago, at some point when you are told over and over how great you are you are likely to start to believe it. And again, if a kid gets told to go back but has 15 of his inner circle telling him no you are that great you should leave! Who is that kid likely to listen to?

Wild idea that crossed my mind with Greenlee transferring: Could the Madsen brothers want to stay home? The Gophers never offered Mason, but his offers were actually better than Greenlee's and they are looking for a wing with the other scholarship and they were interested in Gabe early on.

The Greenlee transfer this late likely either means BJ couldn't find a taker earlier in the process or Pitino has more than one player lined up that just hasn't made it official yet. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or so.

Wild idea that crossed my mind with Greenlee transferring: Could the Madsen brothers want to stay home? The Gophers never offered Mason, but his offers were actually better than Greenlee's and they are looking for a wing with the other scholarship and they were interested in Gabe early on.

The Greenlee transfer this late likely either means BJ couldn't find a taker earlier in the process or Pitino has more than one player lined up that just hasn't made it official yet. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or so.

I think the Greenlee transfer is related to Pitino's pursuit of Salnave, if Pitino was looking for a scoring slashing point guard in the transfer market he was never interested in Greenlee, that is basically the opposite of his game, not sure why he ever pursued him in the first place. I'm surprised it took him that long to decide to transfer.

Carr's not an NBA player. There's no draft stock to improve, all he does in college is delay the amount of years he collects a paycheck over seas. My guess is he starts sooner than later.

Carr's not an NBA player. There's no draft stock to improve, all he does in college is delay the amount of years he collects a paycheck over seas. My guess is he starts sooner than later.

That is a definite possibility, a bad one for the Gophers but I could see that happening, especially if things don't fall into place and it looks like the Gophers are going to be bad.

Last edited:

Hmmm, seems like 2020-21 season would be a bad time to start anything overseas, because of cv19??

Give it a year to settle out, keep working on your degree, and hopefully make it to the dance with the Gophers. (y)

I love this. Is there some merit here? A bit of a wild card taking an overseas kid and you don't really know what you're gonna get but I'm taking that chance right now with where we're at.

Curious to know more info. about how good he really is. Some sort of recruiting ranking with him or where he's at.

I love this. Is there some merit here? A bit of a wild card taking an overseas kid and you don't really know what you're gonna get but I'm taking that chance right now with where we're at.

Curious to know more info. about how good he really is. Some sort of recruiting ranking with him or where he's at.
Ihnen 2.0 ?

Anything like that would be awesome. The kid is a 6'6 shooting guard. I'm intrigued.
I'm intrigued as well. He has a pretty looking jumper and plays very under control - his fluidity reminds me a little bit of Luka Doncic. Maybe it's just because they're both European guards with good size but I say extend an offer.

I would support this.

I remember at the time thinking "we're probably gonna end up with an open scholarship in May/June...might as well give that to Mason Madsen right now and get Gabe on board".

Did I miss something with the Madsens? Are they not headed to Cinci?

Yes. The speculation is that the virus may influence them to stay closer to home and there are now two scholarships available so they could throw a bone to the family and offer both. I highly doubt it. This is message board dreaming more than an educated guess, since there is no data suggesting they might bail on Cinci.

That is what put Gonzaga on the map, getting good players from Europe.

That committee might sway a few kids sure, but I promise you there are kids that leave there and get told go back to school kid you need it and absolutely think that the scouts have no idea what they are talking about and that they should go #1 overall. You have to remember, most of these kids are told for YEARS how good they are, Matt Hurt was going #1 overall like 5 years ago, at some point when you are told over and over how great you are you are likely to start to believe it. And again, if a kid gets told to go back but has 15 of his inner circle telling him no you are that great you should leave! Who is that kid likely to listen to?
Those kids will probably gey drafted regardless. If Hurt entered he still would have been drafted

Yes. The speculation is that the virus may influence them to stay closer to home and there are now two scholarships available so they could throw a bone to the family and offer both. I highly doubt it. This is message board dreaming more than an educated guess, since there is no data suggesting they might bail on Cinci.
Im not the biggest fan of this. Ive never thought Gabe was good enough to be a package deal type situation and his brother isnt a Big Ten level player. We want to get rid of the Hurts & Greenlee one sec but want to add Mason Madsen for his brother who isnt even as good as Mashburn

Hmmm, seems like 2020-21 season would be a bad time to start anything overseas, because of cv19??

Give it a year to settle out, keep working on your degree, and hopefully make it to the dance with the Gophers. (y)
Considering 1/3 of the world's COVID cases are in the U.S. and 2/3 are in the other 197 countries, I would argue that getting the heck out of here would be a good thing.

Top Bottom